Davaoeno

Bitcoin bloodbath nears dot-com crash levels as hundreds of other cryptocurrencies go to zero

Jack Rat
On 7/16/2018 at 8:16 AM, JamesMusslewhite said:

Me I am investing in lobster 'grow-out' aquaculture. Low investment, a commodity that one can tangibly hold and manage themselves, which can be turned-over every 12 months with consistent 80-140% returns; and you can literally eat your loses.

I'm wondering when the stock market will haemorrhage again? Maybe the signs are already there!

• Like 1

HeyMike

The scuttlebutt I am hearing is that artwork, specifically paintings, are the next big investment items.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cgu
5 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

I'm wondering when the stock market will haemorrhage again?

The beauty of the stock market is that you can make money if it goes down or up, you do not need a wife nor a business partner, you do not depend on anyone (buyers/suppliers), no weather impact, no unions etc. Of course you need capital, but that is nearly all you need. 

Investing in the stock market you need to invest a lot of time (not only buy and wait...no great investor has done so), it is nearly a full time job (or a very time intensive hobby).

I was never into bitcoin (as there is nothing to value it), but I am nearly certain that some investors made some money in this downturn. I guess that Buffet made some millions in it, after all he made the comment that bitcoin is worthless (and I agree) and I am pretty sure with that bet he shorted it. 

bmoore

Never considered bitcoin.

Index funds. Think in decades and you will do well.

Oz Jon
On 1/1/2019 at 12:39 AM, Cgu said:

The beauty of the stock market is that you can make money if it goes down or up, you do not need a wife nor a business partner, you do not depend on anyone (buyers/suppliers), no weather impact, no unions etc. Of course you need capital, but that is nearly all you need. 

Investing in the stock market you need to invest a lot of time (not only buy and wait...no great investor has done so), it is nearly a full time job (or a very time intensive hobby).

I was never into bitcoin (as there is nothing to value it), but I am nearly certain that some investors made some money in this downturn. I guess that Buffet made some millions in it, after all he made the comment that bitcoin is worthless (and I agree) and I am pretty sure with that bet he shorted it. 

A bit late with my reply - I've been busy on other things!

The kind of "investing" you quote, isn't! - In my view, that's gambling!

I guess that you had your tongue in cheek when you posted that!

Here is a classical example of someone who has done very well out of buying good companies and holding them?  How about Warren Buffet (and his mate Charlie Munger) and their BRK conglomerate? (and there are many others if you care to look).

They don't try to guess at short-term market movements or listen to the noise of " market analysers/commentators". They do their due-diligence on companies and buy them if the prospects are good and the price is right/reasonable value.

You can get that kind of investing advice (much of it free) at motelyfool.com. Even better timely recommendations if you take up some of their subscription services, as I have done for 20 years  ... very little,money, very well spent! [they publish ALL their advice - winners and the inevitable few  losers! ... find any other advisors/commentators who do that!]

I spend quite a lot of my time watching markets and picking exceptional stocks (I enjoy doing that), but if you don't want to spend much time doing that ,you can do very well by simply investing in good ETFs ... For Americans, in particular QQQ (NASDAQ100 ETF) is easy to buy and hold and will earn you about 15% pa, with zero effort!.

Few (if any) financial advisors beat even the S&P500 (ETF SPY) consistently and QQQ does much better than SPY.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE:  I have no financial interests in MotelyFool -  I simply pass on some accumulated wisdom (no use getting older if you don't get wiser! - Lol!) to anyone who is serious about successful investing.

If you are feeling generous - "leave the money on the fridge!" - A classic Oz suggestion! -

BRK_QQQ.JPG

Edited by Oz Jon
typos added chart
  • Thanks 2

Jester

I get so sick of the US media.  'THE US STOCK MARKET PLUNGED 600 POINTS TODAY"  Annalists are pointing too blah blah blah.

600 points in a 25,000 point market is not a plunge it is a minor blip, but the masses seem to eat  it up. 

My favorite market story was Tulip Mania.       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Cgu
10 hours ago, Oz Jon said:
On 12/31/2018 at 2:39 PM, Cgu said:

A bit late with my reply - I've been busy on other things!

The kind of "investing" you quote, isn't! - In my view, that's gambling!

I guess that you had your tongue in cheek when you posted that!

Here is a classical example of someone who has done very well out of buying good companies and holding them?  How about Warren Buffet (and his mate Charlie Munger) and their BRK conglomerate? (and there are many others if you care to look).

They don't try to guess at short-term market movements or listen to the noise of " market analysers/commentators". They do their due-diligence on companies and buy them if the prospects are good and the price is right/reasonable value.

You can get that kind of investing advice (much of it free) at motelyfool.com. Even better timely recommendations if you take up some of their subscription services, as I have done for 20 years  ... very little,money, very well spent! [they publish ALL their advice - winners and the inevitable few  losers! ... find any other advisors/commentators who do that!]

I spend quite a lot of my time watching markets and picking exceptional stocks (I enjoy doing that), but if you don't want to spend much time doing that ,you can do very well by simply investing in good ETFs ... For Americans, in particular QQQ (NASDAQ100 ETF) is easy to buy and hold and will earn you about 15% pa, with zero effort!.

Well, I do not consider that gambling - maybe it applies to many. I consider it speculating and you need to spend a lot of time. Funny you mentioned Buffet et al. They certainly spend a lot of time (it is there full time job) and if you follow him you will see that they trade quite a lot compared to a "buy and hold".  At any time he holds around 30-40 positions (well certainly more, but the ones he has to disclose due to the EC) and he increase, decreases, aquires new and disposes them regurarly (he trades more than I do, that is for sure).

Just tell me one successful investor who was not a full time investor (spending day and night studying the market) or maybe tell me one successful investor who did just spend an hour here and there.....maybe that is gambling....I recommend to each speculator to spend a considerable time to study the markets - not listening to noise...otherwise just gamble...

Just an example the of the QQQ buy and hold strategy - it really depends when you bought it - it can be as low as 6%. The most traders buy at the wrong time. If somebody like Buffet would speculate at a QQQ, I am quite certain that the position would have been reduced during 2018 and increased during end of the year..... 

I would be very interested to see somebody making 15% with zero effort..., but it is certainly not only for Americans. I invest quite a lot in the US markets, sometimes hedged sometimes unhedged.  Specially now during Trumps time it was certainly easier to speculate (not gambling), as Trumps moves are more predictable, particularly in relation to the stock market.

But everybody needs to find their own strategy.

DeedleNuts
4 hours ago, rfm010 said:

If you do bitcoin properly you don't have a password. Those wallets should have been stored offline in a vault. 

rep1
On 1/1/2019 at 3:54 AM, bmoore said:

Never considered bitcoin.

Index funds. Think in decades and you will do well.

I earned my money for index funds by bitcoin...

But it does seem weird as an investment tool, since it's meant as a currency. More adoptions will not help the price, and all the recent rises seem like a few sellers manipulating market in order to sell (rise sharply then drop to lower than before)?

DeedleNuts
On 2/22/2019 at 9:06 AM, rep1 said:

But it does seem weird as an investment tool, since it's meant as a currency

It's actually meant to be a decentralized secure ledger. Whatever happens after that is up to the market. 

• Haha 1

Cgu
On 2/22/2019 at 6:06 PM, rep1 said:

I earned my money for index funds by bitcoin...

But it does seem weird as an investment tool, since it's meant as a currency. More adoptions will not help the price, and all the recent rises seem like a few sellers manipulating market in order to sell (rise sharply then drop to lower than before)?

That is interesting, as index on bìtcoin came out quite late (after the hype).

Which one did you invest?

rep1

nope I meant I earned the money for normal investment by bitcoin and other cryptos, had no saving before :P