Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness

Salty Dog

Irenicus
21 hours ago, Wrye83 said:

Btw, right now I am sitting in a C-130 in Afghanistan with a bunch of millennials that would likely say the generalizations made about the generation in this thread are not entirely accurate.

Meh - it just makes the old guys feel better about themselves.

It's actually starting to happen to me - I find myself doing the same thing with man-buns and all the rest.

Damn kids nowadays.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Salty Dog

• Wrye83

• DeedleNuts

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me share a story about hiring, interviewing, and training millennials.  Every 6 months our company puts an ad on Craigslist for new employees "Hiring new dispatchers: Starting at $16/hou

I wouldn't have submitted a picture either. My race or what I look like has absolutely nothing to do with how I perform my duties. If a company doesn't want to hire me because I refuse to disclose my

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

It's actually starting to happen to me - I find myself doing the same thing with man-buns and all 

Its OK Boston, Alphabet people are socially accepted these days ?

max111

There's been a boom population wise, jobs are just not available to all creating desparate youth. The youth that have jobs though are probably smarter than most of us. We are not as well educated.  P E R I O D ...    OLD DOGS!

Edited by max111
  • Like 1
lamoe
2 hours ago, Wrye83 said:

Either? 

"Dot Com" is not a "generation". Millennials are from the ages of 21 to 38 (+/- ~2 years). Many of us are near a mid-life crisis. 

So the seating was occupied solely by Millennials everywhere you went in the US? There were no other age groups sitting down that could have offered up their seat? Seems statistically unlikely. 

Would I give up my seat to someone that is clearly physically disabled? Sure, if I noticed them. I'm not constantly on the lookout for the elderly/disabled people though. Sometimes my attention is on other things...like work. (We aren't retired yet and our lives don't revolve around the elderly.)

To me entitled means you earned it - to others it means they just want it.

Didn't say they were Millennials  - read again - wasn't sure of age - they looked at the lady then ignored her.

Each  of the  4 recent generations has indulged in excesses - 20's - stock market speculation -  Silent gen started the conspicuous consumption after WWII and questioning of their parenting skills - Boomers continued it after being taught they could do / obtain anything they wanted if they worked for it, also known for massively questioning authority / drugs / and free love - Gen X (latch kids gen) are the credit card gen and removal of the stigma of bankruptcy caused by trying to emulate their parents, without the effort to get it, - who provided them with probably too much in the way of everything - which lead to the Dot Com bubble and housing bubble  (with a lot of help from Gov financing) "it's credit not real money"

Millennials do suffer from media hype (as do Boomers and Gen Xers) reinforced by their own vocal / physical minority and will bear the brunt of the accumulation of the excess of the past 2 gens.The younger and more radical members of your gen are the ones the media focuses on due to their attitudes regarding established freedoms and norms.

Unless something changes this impression, right or wrong,  it will be the defining image of your generation.

The newest gen is called Gen Z (Zombies?)

image.png.faa3a47c4aaa0dfdcba8745cb62a94c2.png

• Like 1
Wrye83
19 minutes ago, lamoe said:

To me entitled means you earned it - to others it means they just want it.

Didn't say they were Millennials  - read again - wasn't sure of age - they looked at the lady then ignored her.

Each  of the  4 recent generations has indulged in excesses - 20's - stock market speculation -  Silent gen started the conspicuous consumption after WWII and questioning of their parenting skills - Boomers continued it after being taught they could do / obtain anything they wanted if they worked for it, also known for massively questioning authority / drugs / and free love - Gen X (latch kids gen) are the credit card gen and removal of the stigma of bankruptcy caused by trying to emulate their parents, without the effort to get it, - who provided them with probably too much in the way of everything - which lead to the Dot Com bubble and housing bubble  (with a lot of help from Gov financing) "it's credit not real money"

Millennials do suffer from media hype (as do Boomers and Gen Xers) reinforced by their own vocal / physical minority and will bear the brunt of the accumulation of the excess of the past 2 gens.The younger and more radical members of your gen are the ones the media focuses on due to their attitudes regarding established freedoms and norms.

Unless something changes this impression, right or wrong,  it will be the defining image of your generation.

The newest gen is called Gen Z (Zombies?)

image.png.faa3a47c4aaa0dfdcba8745cb62a94c2.png

So basically, every generation has some people who have problems adapting to new technologies and political/social issues of the day...and the older generations never made a real attempt to adapt to or adopt those new things and resist any changes during the final years of their life and choose to just bitch it. 

Also, that graph is a bit confusing. How can a generation that has stopped being born increase in population later on? It goes from 71 million to 73 million over two decades after the last one was born. Immigration? Would immigrants really even count? 

• Like 1
Headshot
1 hour ago, Wrye83 said:

How can a generation that has stopped being born increase in population later on?

Magic...  :cool:

lamoe
2 hours ago, Wrye83 said:

So basically, every generation has some people who have problems adapting to new technologies and political/social issues of the day...and the older generations never made a real attempt to adapt to or adopt those new things and resist any changes during the final years of their life and choose to just bitch it. 

Also, that graph is a bit confusing. How can a generation that has stopped being born increase in population later on? It goes from 71 million to 73 million over two decades after the last one was born. Immigration? Would immigrants really even count? 

Counting adults only?

Young ones bitch about us without trying to understand the socioeconomics / dynamics of the times we grew up in so why not bitch about them as they do us?

Wonder how many would understand the fear and stress the term "duck and cover" implied to people my age?

Wrye83
32 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Young ones bitch about us without trying to understand the socioeconomics / dynamics of the times we grew up in so why not bitch about them as they do us?

Come on now. For every 1 article saying anything bad about the elderly generations I could show you 100 talking smack about younger generations. 

34 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Wonder how many would understand the fear and stress the term "duck and cover" implied to people my age?

Yeah, I understand the stress that comes with that. I know there are, at least, several million millennials that have been trained what that means and how to react to it. Can you understand the fear and stress of hearing "incoming, incoming, incoming"....and then actually have something go boom and putting holes in things near you?

Can you understand the fear and stress kids have when they hear an alarm go off in school and have to worry about getting shot?

Every generation has had their share of threats, fear and stress...whether it was real or imagined. Yours doesn't make you special or entitled to anything. Almost sounds as if you are trying to play the victim card....a tactic many think is prominent in younger generation. 

lamoe
8 hours ago, Wrye83 said:

Come on now. For every 1 article saying anything bad about the elderly generations I could show you 100 talking smack about younger generations. 

Yeah, I understand the stress that comes with that. I know there are, at least, several million millennials that have been trained what that means and how to react to it. Can you understand the fear and stress of hearing "incoming, incoming, incoming"....and then actually have something go boom and putting holes in things near you?

Can you understand the fear and stress kids have when they hear an alarm go off in school and have to worry about getting shot?

Every generation has had their share of threats, fear and stress...whether it was real or imagined. Yours doesn't make you special or entitled to anything. Almost sounds as if you are trying to play the victim card....a tactic many think is prominent in younger generation. 

That's because Boomers are "old news" (pun intended) - same proportion of stories about my generation in the 60's and early 70's - Woodstock, Viet Nam War protests / draft dodgers, drugs, free love, devil's music (Rock & Roll ?), etc.

ChuLai RSVN1968

Chicago inner city Humboldt Park 1960's - gang wars, race riots,  etc.  - 3 of the people I knew didn't make it to their 18th birthday,  that's why I moved out as soon as I got out of the Marines.

Growing up it didn't seem that bad because, like poverty, everyone you knew was in the same boat AND we weren't constantly told how bad and hopeless it was by the media. Ignorance is bliss?

Nope not victim - just pointing out that every generation and person is both the victim and beneficiary of their times,  situation, has faced different challenges and addressed them differently. 

Wonder how many of the younger ones of your generation,  1997 to 2005  - you 1983?, are as aware of social history as you are?

Thanks to social media yours, as you pointed out, gives free reign to the idiots to express themselves. We didn't give you the image, a portion of your own people did. 

The vids and movie by Jackass are the prime example.

Those who don't make waves don't make the news -  too dull / too typical.

I've said it several times, you are not the typical portrayed Millennial, again more like a Gen X, seen  in the media but you will have to live with that image, if you chose to be identified as such. See link below about dates of gens and who are what.

https://taskandpurpose.com/why-are-so-few-millennials-willing-to-join-the-military/

" Every generation has had their share of threats, fear and stress...whether it was real or imagined. Yours doesn't make you special or entitled to anything. Almost sounds as if you are trying to play the victim card....a tactic many think is prominent in younger generation.  "

The only thing I'm entitled to is what I've earned and  what I give others  - common decency and respect until they show they don't deserve it..

People, me / you / everyone,  judge others on  perceived images and personnel experience, until they learn differently.

Anyone who says they don't have any preconceived opinions    probably walks in high crime areas  late at night, alone, and wearing lots of gold jewelry?

Here = all foreigners are rich - which is somewhat true http://www.salaryexplorer.com/salary-survey.php?loc=171&loctype=1

There, same as 50 years ago, friend or foe, who the feck knows?

US - again as you pointed out - 1 st gen about 3 rd = these kids are worthless PsOS

If it's any consolation - you get to chose  :rose:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/here-is-when-each-generation-begins-and-ends-according-to-facts/359589/

"Generation X. George Masnick, of the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies puts this generation in the timeframe of 1965 to 1984, in part because it's a neat 20-year period. He also calls it the "baby bust," mocking "[p]undits on Madison Avenue and in the media" that call it Generation X. Ha ha, tough luck. "

Finally about the chart - yep immigrants are the reason for the increase

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/03/01/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
On 7/2/2018 at 11:46 AM, Wrye83 said:

I know very few Millennials that act like the self-entitled little pricks in those videos

In my last role I was a manager and the workforce was about 600. We had specialty training on dealing with young people entering the workforce. A lot of these young adults this was the first time they ever worked and about 80% were under 21. They had been raised with the understanding that if they showed up for the soccer game, they were a "winner".

I had many deep conversations about expectations of them for work. I remember more than once denying giving an employee the day off because, "It's my Birthday". We were in the service industry and open 7/365, 366 on leap year. Can't close the doors for your birthday, sorry.

We were not harsh and very regimented. Every employee was treated with the same rules and understanding. You had to work very hard at getting fired as the HR department seemed to protect the underachievers. 

All that being said, the bad ones stand out. Are they the majority of the generation? No. 

As you've said, every generation has this (mis)understanding with the younger generation, as will you in time. The difference is when my dad was coming up his father was dealing with a James Dean type, roadster driving teen. When I came up I had hair down to my ass and lived the love generation. My kids were rappers with purple and orange hair. While the styles change the thinking is the same. We all go through it to some extent and it comes back to haunt us later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
cookie47

Copied and pasted....

Conversation is said to be a lost art...good talk presupposes leisure, both for preparation and enjoyment. The age of leisure is dead, and the art of conversation is dying." - Frank Leslie's Popular Monthl

Quite agree.......

All of my (younger) Philippine family are in this age group.
I got up and turned the TV off whilst eating a few days ago. Normally you get 5 heads glued to the TV and I'm sure that they have no idea what's on the plate.
Well i got a terse look from my wife and and some grumpy looks.
They said "what's going on". I said its meal time. It took about 5 minutes to get them talking. My sister in law who's the mother eventually said, "i didn't know this, that, really, why didn't you tell me. I eventually said well this is what you get without the TV." Conversation, "its good isn't it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
HongKongPhooey
On 7/1/2018 at 7:41 PM, Wrye83 said:

Btw, right now I am sitting in a C-130 in Afghanistan with a bunch of millennials

Or maybe not. Last time I checked we didn’t have WiFi or other non secured network conections to casually annoy the old timers on LINC while sitting aboard a tactical aircraft. Maybe it is more likely you are in mom’s basement yelling for meatloaf?

Wrye83
16 minutes ago, HongKongPhooey said:

Or maybe not. Last time I checked we didn’t have WiFi or other non secured network conections to casually annoy the old timers on LINC while sitting aboard a tactical aircraft. Maybe it is more likely you are in mom’s basement yelling for meatloaf?

Mobile phone, mobile data. I gave up no classified or sensitive information.

lamoe

Excess by generation stereotypes

20's - investing in stock market

Silent - questioning parental abilities

Boomer - consumer consumption - DITKAs = neglecting kids (latch key), Sex, drugs

Gen X - unsecured housing spending  - DINKs - dual income no kids

Millennial / Gen X - self-absorbed, entitled, unwilling to extend effort, blames others

Gen Z - to be determined by the previous 3 ?

to_dave007

Each of these generations has produced genius..  and hard work.. and ambition.. and creativity..  and integrity..  and all that other good stuff..  in abundance. Is it the majority?  Don't know..  and don't care.  But I am proud to see how much GOOD and capable youth has been produced.. generation by generation.  Gives me hope and optimism for the future.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3