Jump to content

Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness


Salty Dog

Recommended Posts

Wrye83
17 hours ago, blaze pontaine said:

About 100 didn't send a resume or pic (RESUME and PIC were required in the job post, and were the only words capitalized in the posting)   -   they're out

I wouldn't have submitted a picture either. My race or what I look like has absolutely nothing to do with how I perform my duties. If a company doesn't want to hire me because I refuse to disclose my race or allow them to judge me by how I look then it's probably best that I'm in the "out" category. (I get showing up to an interview and work looking professional, but requiring a photo with an application...makes me very suspicious that it is just another way to discriminate). And smiling at a dispatch job? As in, most work is done over the radio or phone? When not dealing with customers I see no point in faking emotions. I would never need or ask my coworkers, employees or employers to pretend to be my friend while working or act like they are truly enjoying themselves when they aren't. We are there to do a job, not make each other feel all warm and fuzzy. I don't want to work for sensitive snowflake employers that value physical appearance, race quotas and warm and fuzzy feeling over raw talent and getting the job done.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • lamoe

    26

  • Salty Dog

    15

  • Wrye83

    12

  • DeedleNuts

    9

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me share a story about hiring, interviewing, and training millennials.  Every 6 months our company puts an ad on Craigslist for new employees "Hiring new dispatchers: Starting at $16/hou

I wouldn't have submitted a picture either. My race or what I look like has absolutely nothing to do with how I perform my duties. If a company doesn't want to hire me because I refuse to disclose my

Posted Images

Wrye83

Btw, right now I am sitting in a C-130 in Afghanistan with a bunch of millennials that would likely say the generalizations made about the generation in this thread are not entirely accurate. Maybe the baby-boomers that are sending the younger generation to fight their wars should have a bit more respect, without us you are a bunch of powerless old men sitting around complaining in a big circle-jerk.

Edited by Wrye83
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
2 hours ago, Wrye83 said:

Btw, right now I am sitting in a C-130 in Afghanistan with a bunch of millennials that would likely say the generalizations made about the generation in this thread are not entirely accurate. Maybe the baby-boomers that are sending the younger generation to fight their wars should have a bit more respect, without us you are a bunch of powerless old men sitting around complaining in a big circle-jerk.

As a millennial you will suffer the same stigma us boomers do - ALL of you / us are this or that - damned for what you / we are not who you / we are.

Might want to consider that some of us can sympathize with you - we  were in the same boat you are - fight a war we didn't start - except ours was started by the Silent / Greatest Generation and for too many of us our choices were - enlist (66% of Viet Vets did), leave the country, go to jail or face the prosecute of being forced into the military.

May also want to think about the experiences of those same "powerless old men" both in a combat zone and when they returned home.

By the way - thanks for your service.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrye83
30 minutes ago, lamoe said:

As a millennial you will suffer the same stigma us boomers do - ALL of you / us are this or that - damned for what you / we are not who you / we are.

Might want to consider that some of us can sympathize with you - we  were in the same boat you are - fight a war we didn't start - except ours was started by the Silent / Greatest Generation and for too many of us our choices were - enlist (66% of Viet Vets did), leave the country, go to jail or face the prosecute of being forced into the military.

May also want to think about the experiences of those same "powerless old men" both in a combat zone and when they returned home.

By the way - thanks for your service.

I find it kind of funny with all this "Millennials this and Millennials that". I'm a millennial (35 years old) and I've been in the workforce for nearly 20 years. There are self-entitled idiots in every generation...with absolutely no exceptions. You just get to see the newer generations because they are stupid enough to record everything they do and post it online. If older generations had the ability they would have done the same. Stupid people tend to be proud of their stupid behavior.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
6 minutes ago, Wrye83 said:

I find it kind of funny with all this "Millennials this and Millennials that". I'm a millennial (35 years old) and I've been in the workforce for nearly 20 years. There are self-entitled idiots in every generation...with absolutely no exceptions. You just get to see the newer generations because they are stupid enough to record everything they do and post it online. If older generations had the ability they would have done the same. Stupid people tend to be proud of their stupid behavior.

Probably true.

Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
7 hours ago, Wrye83 said:

I find it kind of funny with all this "Millennials this and Millennials that". I'm a millennial (35 years old) and I've been in the workforce for nearly 20 years. There are self-entitled idiots in every generation...with absolutely no exceptions. You just get to see the newer generations because they are stupid enough to record everything they do and post it online. If older generations had the ability they would have done the same. Stupid people tend to be proud of their stupid behavior.

Same with the started working at 15 for more than a few of us - except was 55 years ago to help feed family not for spending money

:oldtimer:

Yep - thank goodness :not_see:

Like "skitching" a ride behind a car in winter - that's grabbing onto its bumper. squatting down and letting it pull you down the snow / ice cover  street at maybe 10 / 15 Mph - hoping you don't hit a dry spot and do a face plant

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Dafey
12 hours ago, Wrye83 said:

Btw, right now I am sitting in a C-130 in Afghanistan with a bunch of millennials that would likely say the generalizations made about the generation in this thread are not entirely accurate. Maybe the baby-boomers that are sending the younger generation to fight their wars should have a bit more respect, without us you are a bunch of powerless old men sitting around complaining in a big circle-jerk.

I think an exception to the rule can be the military trained millennials. They have been instilled with principles and goals.

Both my daughters are millennials and were raised by me to think for themselves, not rely on others to support them and to work socially as a team. Another exception are those raised with these ideals.

8 hours ago, Wrye83 said:

There are self-entitled idiots in every generation

Even truer. The bad apples always stand out 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrye83
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

I think an exception to the rule can be the military trained millennials. They have been instilled with principles and goals.

Both my daughters are millennials and were raised by me to think for themselves, not rely on others to support them and to work socially as a team. Another exception are those raised with these ideals.

Even truer. The bad apples always stand out 

I know very few Millennials that act like the self-entitled little pricks in those videos...military trained or not. The fact is, old people have always disliked the younger generations. Your grandparents did it to you, their grandparents said it about them, their grandparents to them and it goes on ad nauseam. 

A few quotes from history: 

"As they are fond of fun, they are witty – wit being nothing other than well-bred insolence. They think they know everything and so they overdo everything. This is the source of all their mistakes." - Aristotle about the youth - 400BCE

"They are passionately in love with pleasure and violent games" Romain Rolland about new generation - 1910

"The art of letter-writing is fast dying out. When a letter cost nine pence, it seemed but fair to try to make it worth nine pence...now, however, we think we are too busy for such old-fashioned correspondence. We fire off a multitude of rapid and shot notes, instead of sitting down to have a good talk over a real sheet of paper." - The Sunday magazine - 1871 

(Old people blatantly plagiarized that one to talk about SMS and instant messengers today.)

"Conversation is said to be a lost art...good talk presupposes leisure, both for preparation and enjoyment. The age of leisure is dead, and the art of conversation is dying." - Frank Leslie's Popular Monthly Volume 29 - 1890

"Intellectual laziness and the hurry of the age have produced a craving for literary nips. The torpid brain...has grown too weak for sustained thought. There never was an age in which so many people were able to write badly." Israel Zangwill - 1891

"Our modern family gathering, silent around the fire, each individual with his head buried in his favorite MAGAZINE, is the somewhat natural outcome of the banishment of colloquy from the school." - The Journal of Education - 1907

(Another plagiarized complaint from old people today. Substitute "favorite magazine" with "cell phone" and you have today's complaint by old farts.)

Funny thing...all this was said about every single generation that has ever came along. You did the exact same thing that young people do today, just with different technology. The only thing that changes is the people bitching about things that have never changed. 

2013

mememe.PNG.5f1239e883a6cddebb687ef7c639b5fd.PNG

 

1976

me.PNG.1a445bb96ea3ab27bee0788974ef216d.PNG

 

It's old and predictable. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Davaoeno

Old?  - yes

Predictable? - yes

True? - yes

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrye83
7 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Old?  - yes

Predictable? - yes

True? - yes

D*mn that sun! Coming up every morning, so predictable! I think I'll start complaining about that all the time now. My complaining will have about as much change on the sun doing what it does as old farts complaining will on children and teenagers being ignorant aholes. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe

The one sad aspect in the US today is the young ones don't get off their asses and let a senior sit down - bus, waiting at restaurant, etc.

I've seen then give up their seat much more here then back home.

 " The fact is, old people have always disliked the younger generations. Your grandparents did it to you, their grandparents said it about them, their grandparents to them and it goes on ad nauseam. "

And yet us Boomers get bitched at for how we messed things up. :oldtimer:image.png.b22416d32e669057a23bf20ae190a311.png

Edited by lamoe
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrye83
10 minutes ago, lamoe said:

The one sad aspect in the US today is the young ones don't get off their asses and let a senior sit down - bus, waiting at restaurant, etc.

So who are the ones feeling entitled to something? What your turn like everyone else, old man. lol ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2018 at 2:00 PM, blaze pontaine said:

Let me share a story about hiring, interviewing, and training millennials. 

Every 6 months our company puts an ad on Craigslist for new employees

"Hiring new dispatchers: Starting at $16/hour -  $22/hour after 30 days"

 

- we received 434 applicants for the position in April.

Out of the 434 applicants,

-About 100 didn't send a resume or pic (RESUME and PIC were required in the job post, and were the only words capitalized in the posting)   -   they're out

-About 100 had spelling errors on their resume (probably a document that should be put through spellcheck)  -    they're out

 

Of the remaining 234 applicants

-About 100 don't email back or answer their phones when the hiring manager attempts contact (surprisingly high number have phones out of service)   -  they're out

-About 100 don't show up to the interview or show up late (why even apply in the first place?)  - they're out

 

Out of the 434 applicants, only 34 sent in a spellchecked resume and showed up on time to the interview, about 30 are offered jobs. 

 

The first week is paid training and a probationary period.  To pass, the trainee must do 3 very difficult things: 

1.  Show up to work on time (20 failed this)  -  they're out

2.  Have a smile on your face  (5 failed this)  -  they're out

3.  Don't steal anything  (5 failed this)  -  they're out

 

We ended up with 4 very good employees, 2 of them quit within a month and the other 2 are still around.

 

To recap:  only 2 out of 434 applicants were capable of sending in a spellchecked resume, showing up on time to an interview, showing up on time to work, having a smile on their face, and not stealing anything for 30 days. 


 

who is your employer ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
4 minutes ago, Wrye83 said:

So who are the ones feeling entitled to something? What your turn like everyone else, old man. lol ;)

Entitled as in earned  or demanded?

I don't consider 35 to be a Millennial - more like a Dot Com.

Wasn't for me. You're right, why should a couple  of maybe 80+?- she in a walker expect any consideration for what could be an hour wait? ?

To me they earned it just by being alive. Same as I taught my daughter who is not that much older than you.

Actually saw that at a place in Rockford during last visit home. Not sure if millennials - 30's? doesn't really matter.

Totally clueless to looks until Mgr finally asked them to get up.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Wrye83
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Entitled as in earned  or demanded?

Either? 

 

1 hour ago, lamoe said:

I don't consider 35 to be a Millennial - more like a Dot Com.

"Dot Com" is not a "generation". Millennials are from the ages of 21 to 38 (+/- ~2 years). Many of us are near a mid-life crisis. 

1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Wasn't for me. You're right, why should a couple  of maybe 80+?- she in a walker expect any consideration for what could be an hour wait?

So the seating was occupied solely by Millennials everywhere you went in the US? There were no other age groups sitting down that could have offered up their seat? Seems statistically unlikely. 

Would I give up my seat to someone that is clearly physically disabled? Sure, if I noticed them. I'm not constantly on the lookout for the elderly/disabled people though. Sometimes my attention is on other things...like work. (We aren't retired yet and our lives don't revolve around the elderly.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..