Millennials in the Workforce, A Generation of Weakness

Salty Dog

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Salty Dog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

The reason typical Millennials are like they are is that they have been told throughout their lives that it's not their fault. So, his solution is that we once again tell them it's not their fault? I'm sorry, but at some point they need to learn how to take responsibility for themselves. OK, many weren't taught these skills when they were young. Well, maybe that is just God's way of thinning out the idiots from our populations (or the spawn of idiots). The only thing you gain by further coddling those who will never get it is more idiots.

But ... that's just my opinion. Even though I raised three individuals who are the antithesis of the typical Millennial during the same time period (all of whom have been highly successful in the world), some people think that those whose parents bought into the bullshit should have equal footing with those who were raised to be responsible for themselves. Sorry, I don't believe that. Send them home to live with Mom and Dad. The world owes them nothing.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

I'm 66, so by no means am I a Millennial. However, I can relate to some of what he says. For example, I'm guilty of waiting for the end of a TV series. Then I download and binge watch the episodes without commercials. I'm also a slave to many forms of technology. The internet, computer, smartphone, smart TV, Amazon, cloud services, pay online, pay with smartphone and so on.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Salty Dog

• Thanks 2

Headshot
37 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I'm 66, so by no means am I a Millennial. However, I can relate to some of what he says. For example, I'm guilty of waiting for the end of a TV series. Then I download and binge watch the episodes without commercials. I'm also a slave to many forms of technology. The internet, computer, smartphone, smart TV, Amazon, cloud services, pay online, pay with smartphone and so on.

I think anybody who has adapted to the new world of technology can relate to parts of what he says. However, it is evident by your accomplishments that you didn't allow technology to completely debilitate you as he says the so-called millennials have done. There are many people in the world who have learned to use technology without being crippled by it (even many who grew up during the millennial time period) and who are NOT in the same straits mentioned in this piece. That is why I say it isn't the world that has to deal with millennials. It is the so-called millennials that need to learn how to adapt to the world.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Salty Dog

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Salty Dog

According to a poll, 6 out of 10 millennials can't change a light bulb.

• Sad 2

max111

I didn't care to watch the video having some hearing problems.... Just guessing what you are aiming at....  I sure as hell am happy with todays youth, they'll bring us to a new ERA of not only technology but understanding eachother, NOT solving crises by killing eachother. Welcome Youth of World, feck the grumpy old generation!!

• Like 5

DeedleNuts

Oh. An optimist. Who left the door open?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

blaze pontaine

Let me share a story about hiring, interviewing, and training millennials. 

Every 6 months our company puts an ad on Craigslist for new employees

"Hiring new dispatchers: Starting at $16/hour -  $22/hour after 30 days"

- we received 434 applicants for the position in April.

Out of the 434 applicants,

-About 100 didn't send a resume or pic (RESUME and PIC were required in the job post, and were the only words capitalized in the posting)   -   they're out

-About 100 had spelling errors on their resume (probably a document that should be put through spellcheck)  -    they're out

Of the remaining 234 applicants

-About 100 don't email back or answer their phones when the hiring manager attempts contact (surprisingly high number have phones out of service)   -  they're out

-About 100 don't show up to the interview or show up late (why even apply in the first place?)  - they're out

Out of the 434 applicants, only 34 sent in a spellchecked resume and showed up on time to the interview, about 30 are offered jobs. 

The first week is paid training and a probationary period.  To pass, the trainee must do 3 very difficult things: 

1.  Show up to work on time (20 failed this)  -  they're out

2.  Have a smile on your face  (5 failed this)  -  they're out

3.  Don't steal anything  (5 failed this)  -  they're out

We ended up with 4 very good employees, 2 of them quit within a month and the other 2 are still around.

To recap:  only 2 out of 434 applicants were capable of sending in a spellchecked resume, showing up on time to an interview, showing up on time to work, having a smile on their face, and not stealing anything for 30 days. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

DeedleNuts
31 minutes ago, blaze pontaine said:

To recap:  only 2 out of 434 applicants were capable of sending in a spellchecked resume, showing up on time to an interview, showing up on time to work, having a smile on their face, and not stealing anything for 30 days. 

Now imagine that in addition to that they have to be software engineers. We have 4 open seats (out of 6) and can't backfill with junior engineers. 

max111
12 hours ago, blaze pontaine said:

Would You have passed? Having a smiling face or even a PICTURE I wanted to look at?

• Like 2

max111

• Like 1
  • Haha 1