Sign in to follow this  
Jimone

Australian Pension

Jimone

Hi all,, I know this has been covered before, but I can't find the post.. So here we go again,,, I have a friend that is retired, an Australian, and is going to live at least part time in the Philippines with his girl. He is wondering about his old age pension, how often does he need to return to Australia to keep it going and is there any exemptions? 

Thanks for any reply's in advance....   

baby43

I think he has to return before being there one year. but could had changed.

KennyF

He must live in Australia for 24 months before or after claiming it for to be portable.

He can go OS as often as he likes for a maximum 13 weeks per trip during the 24 months

The pension will be stopped while he is OS

KonC

baby43

I know before I was on the aged pension, I was on a disability pension for about 5 years I went to the Philippines for 1 week over the 3 months, I lost my pension for 1 week until I arrive back in Australia  and reported to Centrelink, Also as on any pension here in Australia you must let Centrelink Know you are leaving the country, because they cross reference with immigration  Dept.

A_Simple_Man
47 minutes ago, baby43 said:

I went to the Philippines for 1 week over the 3 months, I lost my pension for 1 week until I arrive back in Australia 

Still prisoners eh?

Gus

What's all this about stopping your pension ?

I'm on an Australian OAP ... Lived in Philippines for 4 years , now Thailand for almost 2 years. Have been back to Oz only twice in that time .
My pension arrives in my bank account every month, without fail ( up to now ) . That of course is the " basic " pension , without supplements.
The supplements will stop being paid after about 3 months ..hmm maybe 2 .
On disability , and unemployment pensions, yes, the payment will be stopped.

There is absolutely no need to advise Centrelink that you are departing , they know about it, the minute you do .

To the OP .. as has been said, as long as the pensioner has lived in australia for 2 years, there's no problem leaving , if less than 2 years, the pension will be not deemed portable.
Probably should just wander into a CL office and ask there, if has concerns.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

I have to say that, if this is the case, I really feel sorry for you blokes from Oz. The US places no restrictions on its citizens about where they live. If you earned a pension, you receive a pension. Medicare, on the other hand, is good only within the territory of the US.

• Like 1

RogerDat

But you still have to pay part B to use CHAMPUS.

aussiekangaroo
4 hours ago, Gus said:

On disability , and unemployment pensions, yes, the payment will be stopped.

No such thing as a unemployment pensions it's newstart for those who can't find any work and that is stopped immediately on departure from Australia . If they receive a disability pension they may go overseas for 4 weeks per year based on last departure from Australia or apply for unlimited portability as long as they get 20 points on a single impairment table and are unable to work 2 hours or more per week within the next 5 years.

Gus

No such thing as a unemployment pensions it's newstart for those who can't find any work and that is stopped immediately on departure from Australia .

I knew someone would pull me up on incorrect terminology ..
So Newstart is not an unemployment pension ..its just money given to people who have no job ..ok got it !
Sounds like the dole to me ..but then, im old school :) .
Cheers

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

Contango
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

I have to say that, if this is the case, I really feel sorry for you blokes from Oz. The US places no restrictions on its citizens about where they live. If you earned a pension, you receive a pension. Medicare, on the other hand, is good only within the territory of the US.

Dont feel to sorry for us...look at the crap you guys have to put up with, we just have to be 65.5 and we all get the same regardless.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ssptw/2010-2011/americas/united_states.html

• Like 1

lamoe
12 minutes ago, Contango said:

Dont feel to sorry for us...look at the crap you guys have to put up with, we just have to be 65.5 and we all get the same regardless.

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/progdesc/ssptw/2010-2011/americas/united_states.html

True

12.4% for 50 years? - imagine if  25 / 25 / 50 (spec, aggressive, conservative -  shifting as time went by) investing.

• Confused 1

cookie47

Australian Pensions.. We have just started our Full time residence in Cebu. 

Well this is "my" understanding of the pension rules. Firstly we have our pension transacted by a company in Melbourne Australia that for a fee takes care  of any involvement with Centerlink. I could give the name but may fall fowl of the LincRules. We Personally don't talk to centerlink at all. I just say "fix it" when a letter arrives. 

So "currently" there is the 36 year rule. 

If you have lived in Australia for more than 36 years(As i have/had) your pension is fully paid Less suppliments for as long as you are away. (Although I'm told you may have to prove your still breathing at some point) 

If less than 36 years there is a pro rata reduction "per year". This reduction happens AFTER 26 weeks. The calculation is on the Centerlink website but you need to be mathematicaly switch on to understand it.As Gus says as soon as you depart Australia an email goes to Centerlink from immigration. 

My wife who cannot comply to the 36 year rule will get a pension reduction. We are currently waiting to see financially how much this will be to calculate if its "worth" returning to Australia to reset the clock. We are told on good advise that this is quite common and seen quite regularly at Centerlink offices. somewhat like doing a Balakbayan visa run, (but much more costly). 

Also for those who are interested your Medicare card will be null and void after 5 years outside Australia so if a trip to Australia is necessary (or possible) go to the doctor and get a check up to reset your card. 

This is my understanding of the CURRENT rules. I've highlighted current as the rules change regularly. 

• Thanks 1

cookie47

Australian Pension.

Forgot to point out that last year the government tried to reduce the amount of time for loss of pension outside Australia to 6 weeks, however it was defeated in the Senate and and as i said currently stands at 26 weeks

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Contango

Thanks cookie good info, the 36 year rule was a new one for me, i knew about the 10 year eligibility and figured that was it, anyway its

reasonably easy to figure out ones  ‘Australian Working Life Residency’ (AWLR) hope your not paying that mob in Melb to much.

https://nationalseniors.com.au/sites/default/files/1409-NationalSeniorsAustralia-FactSheet-AgePensionPortability.pdf

Edited by Contango
  • Like 1