Enuff

Would you help with donation or time or both?

Enuff

Many here are retired and also have young children.

We all know the costs associated with schooling and I'm sure you all know of children not attending school.

If there was a fund designated to assist the extreme indigent with uniforms and school materials would you assist?

Another big topic is school lunches. I for one am a huge fan of school lunches and feel they help the youngest minds develop. If Cebu City started a lunch program would any of you volunteer your time? In the USA lunch ladies is a treasured position for a parent, off when kids are off and only 2 or 3 hours a day. So would you donate your time or money to this, or maybe both?

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

RogerDat

I  have several students I pick up the tab for supplies, and some uniforms. Its very easy to do, and no shortage of children needing help. Always go thru parents.

School lunch program would require a cafeteria be built, and they are short hundreds of class rooms, but someday maybe it will happen.

I found school supplies and fees for grades kinder thru 6 to be less than P1000, not including book bag, being the most expensive. Best to buy them well before school starts when prices are low.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cookie47

Count me in " when we get settled...."

I/We have had no biological children.

I've help out from day 1. It has not been forced on me and to see the result of helping is rewarding.The BIL suffered a stroke, SO..

Sent two from grade school to St Carlos University.

Now have degrees in HRM, (Hotel and restaurant management) And Computer science...

Funded drivers license and driving lessons for another nephew which helped him get a job at PLDT.

This has now made it possible for him to buy a scooter.

The only downside was job opportunities were low at the time of graduation so one is now working in a call centre but the other works for IBM. But at least they are working....
We would take them to the National book store at school start and say "whatever you need". You should see there faces.....

My wife worked in Australia so this commitment wasn't too difficult.

Ive had the Nay sayers in Australia say "why do you help that lot"

I give em nothing.

Well because I can... End of story..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

M.C.A.

I can't afford to buy new clothes for other kids but I do give away my son's school clothes that won't fit him anymore, so far every year I've had to buy him all new clothes.

The school clothes if purchased in the malls are very pricey I found a discount store that sells the uniforms at a greatly reduced price, example the cost of the pants in a mall was around 400 pesos but at a discount store, they run 165 pesos same with the shirts, socks, undergarments, and shoes.

• Like 6

Ozepete

A few years ago my sweetie came up with the idea of sponsoring secondary school kids from her home area of Panalipan. I wasn't too keen at the start but just bit my tongue, as usual.

She arranged it so four kids each year would be chosen by a trusted retired school teacher we know. The only criteria we put on selection was that they were to be kids who wanted to learn but could not otherwise go to school. 

We were there when the first four were chosen so we arranged a mum / kid and us lunch get together. The keenness of those kids was impressive and I warmed to the idea until I asked one girl there,  whose was an exceptionally happy kid, 'Why are you so happy'"  (Like these kids have absolutely nothing!) 

She rocked me when she simply replied "Because now I have  a uniform too!"  In other words she was now just like the other kids..  Bought a tear to this rough old bastards eyes I must admit... We now have 20 great kids in this system and believe me we get more in the joy of seeing those smiley faces than any money can buy!

• Like 9

Travis

I have looked into starting a program to feed the poor. I have also talked to two guys who do this full time. One in Cebu and one on another island. 

I will look further into it when I get there. 

• Like 3

Headshot

SHS Ateneo de Cebu, where my daughter goes, has a program to provide uniforms, school supplies and daily school lunch for poor students going to Cubacub Elementary School in north Mandaue. We participate heavily in that program, but I do NOT get involved in giving things directly to students (I avoid direct contact with unrelated minors). I only provide money so those who do have direct contact have the resources to do so. This is a volunteer-run school-to-school program, and I know it is the kids who are receiving the benefits. Nobody involved in the program is paid. I'm sure there are many programs like this, so if you look, you can contribute without too much legal exposure on your part.

• Like 4

colemanlee
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

without too much legal exposure on your part.

Another reason Im damn happy we do not live in Cebu and have to worry about "legal exposure"

• Like 2

to_dave007

My wife's family is indigent..  dirt poor mountain farmers. They were "sharecroppers" when I met my wife. They work their own property now.

My wife graduated a university program this year on her way to being a secondary school teacher.  She had been out of school for some years when I first met her, and I sent her back to finish HS, and then into University.  She was the first family member to graduate HS.

I sponsored her younger brother to graduate HS (second family member to graduate HS), and I sponsor him now to a university program in Industrial Technology - Electronics.  Right now we are planning to make a honest attempt at the Robotics Olympiad here in Philippines in 2019, and a serious attempt to win in 2020.  My sons will be the team mascots, and I'm hoping they'll make the own attempt at the elementary level once they reach the age requirement. The required kits will be in a Balikbayan box later this year.

I sponsor my wife's oldest niece, current in Grade 11.  She wants to be an Accountant..  and so long as she keeps her nose clean, she has my support...plus she'll be the third to graduate HS.

I  STARTED to support her younger sister as well, but at 14 she decided that running away with a boy was a smarter idea.  Now she's a 16 year old single mother somewhere in Mindanao.  Her decision.

I gave real data entry work, from my company in Canada, to two really great students, and they paid their Masters degree that way.

I sponsor the son of one of my workers with 1000 peso a semester at the first week of university.

Lastly, I belong to a community group in town, and have joined the efforts to raise money that has sponsored 9 students so far through a complete university degree.

Oh..  I bought rain barrels for one elementary school.  Donated used baseball equipment to the main elemnatry school in town...  Provided cans of paint when needs.. and a fan for the classroom my own kids were in.  And donated used text books to the university library.  It's all good.

I agree with others here who feel that this is one of the very best ways to give back to this world that has been kind to me.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 5

Headshot
1 hour ago, colemanlee said:

Another reason Im damn happy we do not live in Cebu and have to worry about "legal exposure"

I understand your point, but the reality is that just as many foreigners run afoul of the law in the provinces as do in the Cebu metro area. Hardly a month goes by when we don't hear about some guy in Dumaguete or Bogo or northern Mindanao. Even though laws may have been less stringently enforced in certain locations previously doesn't mean they will be less stringently enforced tomorrow. Those who want to live a long and happy life here should steer clear of activities that could be construed poorly by those who don't know you.

• Like 1

colemanlee

Dumaguete is not what I would call the province, most likely as much goes on there as Cebu and you name Bogo which I think has arrested as many foreigners for something to do with kids as any place on Cebu Island, Its much more attitude I suspect...Cebu has a certain female Vice Mayor heading a group known to be overly enthusiastic in their endeavors and Bogo has the same...there is a saying here among the locals, what goes on in Cebu and Manila does not affect us....

I do have to admit that since the present mayor of Tacloban (former mayors wife) took over as a placeholder for Alfred, things have changed some...but only in the city limits of Tacloban....other than that things remain the same as it ever was...Im pretty sure you have never been here, someday you might and you will be amazed at just how provencial most of Leyte is...you will also be amazed at the flagrant disregard most provincial people of Leyte feel for anything that is not local...its a different world with different social values and laws...at least ones that are enforced. 

RogerDuMond

Lets get back on topic please and not stray into this "in the company of minors" BS in this topic. If you must discuss it, start a new topic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Monsoon
On 6/15/2018 at 1:42 PM, Enuff said:

If there was a fund designated to assist the extreme indigent with uniforms and school materials would you assist?

Would I do this? I have been doing it for about 12 years now. Through friends (a couple) who are boots on the ground and heavily engaged in the community. They identify kids who get accepted to Science High but cant afford the uniform or transport to get there. It started with 3 or 4 and I guess we sponsor a dozen or so kids now.   I'm not sure if our sponsorship includes lunch money. I do know they get uniform, transport and school supplies. 

• Like 3

smokey

I have a list of seniors myself i kick in for medical give rice noodles etc they are my lucky charmes 

• Like 3

to_dave007
1 hour ago, smokey said:

I have a list of seniors myself i kick in for medical give rice noodles etc they are my lucky charmes 

Agree.  I have been surprised to observe members of my wife's family TAKING from their 77 year old grandparents not GIVING.  Chickens, food, singer sewing machine, and more.  Lola passed away a few weeks back, and Lolo will stay with us now I think.  It was a shame..  she passed 7 weeks shy of their 60th wedding anniversary.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Sad 2