Jollibee To Open 100 Stores In Canada In Next Five Years

liquido

You Canadians are soooo lucky....

Popular Filipino fast-food chain Jollibee Food Corp. has announced that it will open 100 stores in Canada within the next five years.
Jollibee, which is often referred to as the “Asian McDonald’s” says it is eyeing new Canadian locations because the country is a key growth market and a big part of its North American expansion plans. Jollibee restaurants have attracted long lines of customers at two Winnipeg locations and a store in Scarborough, Ontario that have opened since 2015. The company now plans to expand in Ontario and is exploring additional stores in markets such as Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver. Its aggressive Canadian expansion comes as international interest in Filipino food is rising and as Canada is attracting an increasing number of restaurants serving such food. Jollibee’s Filipino fare includes spaghetti in a sweet sauce, crispy chicken, hamburgers and French fries, as well as peach mango pies.Jollibee is the number one fast-food restaurant in the Philippines and throughout much of Southeast Asia. df6a0bbdf532750b1e7e653bb4d7463b

https://ph.yahoo.com/news/filipino-fast-food-chain-jollibee-130000693.html

musicman666

I guess this must be aimed at the local Filipino market if they are going to stick to the same menu they serve here...

the peach mango pies are actually quite good ....especially with ice cream.

Edited by musicman666
Enuff
I guess this must be aimed at the local Filipino market if they are going to stick to the same menu they serve here...
Funny, I just told the wife the same thing. Yum burgers and shitty hot dogs aint gonna succeed in the West.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Alfred E. Neuman

After the recent word wars between Trump and Trudeau, Canadians will try Jollibee yum over BigMac.

Enuff
After the recent word wars between Trump and Trudeau, Canadians will try Jollibee yum over BigMac.
Yes, but would they try another?

• Like 1
Alfred E. Neuman
8 hours ago, Enuff said:

If theyre dating Pinays.

• Like 1
liquido
12 hours ago, Enuff said:

Thats the key...Locals will try out of curiosity but not repeat....Soooo many better choices out there..

• Like 2

good luck to them but how can Jollibee possibly expect to open  up as many as 100 restaurants in Canada. There is only about 35 in the entire USA although admittedly two-thirds of them are in California and another 15% in Hawaii.

I'm not surprised that they are thinking of expanding in Canada, there is per capita far more Filipinos in Canada than there is in any other western country, but having 100 Jollibees there is just ridiculous. Even opening up 20 new ones would be a massive step for Jollibee Canada. 

Jollibee announcements need to be taken with a pinch of salt anyway. Their international expansion is happening but it has been a bit uneven. The Milan, Italy restaurant - the first and only one so far in Europe - has opened, but the London one, which when they made the announcement back in 2014, was supposed to be the first opening up in Europe and not the Milan one, hasn't.

Edited by badian
19 hours ago, Enuff said:

Yum burgers and shitty hot dogs aint gonna succeed in the West.

they don't especially succeed in the Philippines either. When was the last time you were in a Jollibee. 90% of the dinners are eating chicken-and-rice, and spaghetti. They don't care about Yum burgers and hot dogs. 

Paddy
2 hours ago, badian said:

as many as 100 restaurants

There are in Canada, according to google:

• > 4000 Tim Hortons - they are everywhere
  • ~ 1400 McDonalds - often seen
  • ~ 1000 Harveys - frequently seen
  • > 300 Wendys - sometimes seen
  • < 300 Burger Kings - sometimes seen
  • ~ 150 KFC - usually in good locations so seen sometimes
  • ~ 100 Arbys - usually in out of the way locations so not often seen

It's not unreasonable for Jollibee to target 100 locations but they will need to be very picky about locations to succeed since I doubt the filipino permanent resident and OFW populations, on their own, would support that number.

The Scarborough, Toronto location is very much a suburban location which will have minimal foot traffic and just about zero passers by in cars. It appears to be in a suburban style big box "mall" (the type with the stores around the outside and parking in the middle). People will have to want to go to that mall to be there to see it. It's not the sort of place you will end up in by mistake or just be passing through.

I didn't even know it was there until I read this thread and the location is not far from me. Somewhere in Scarborough is probably a reasonable decision. Not so very far away is the Scarborough LBC office which has been there for years (mind you - you won't find it unless you look hard!). A long established filipino business there probably indicates a good sized filipino population in the area. If I get a chance, I might check it out (not that Jollibee is my "go to" restaurant!)

I can believe about 20 stores could be successful unless Jollibee can appeal to a wider customer base. A couple in the GTA, a few in the Vancouver area and the rest in various provincial cities and towns (like Halifax, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and so on)

• Like 1
Enuff
There are in Canada, according to google:
  • > 4000 Tim Hortons - they are everywhere
  • ~ 1400 McDonalds - often seen
  • ~ 1000 Harveys - frequently seen
  • > 300 Wendys - sometimes seen
  • ~ 150 KFC - usually in good locations so seen sometimes
  • ~ 100 Arbys - usually in out of the way locations so not often seen
It's not unreasonable for Jollibee to target 100 locations but they will need to be very picky about locations to succeed since I doubt the filipino permanent resident and OFW populations, on their own, would support that number.
The Scarborough, Toronto location is very much a suburban location which will have minimal foot traffic and just about zero passers by in cars. It appears to be in a suburban style big box "mall" (the type with the stores around the outside and parking in the middle). People will have to want to go to that mall to be there to see it. It's not the sort of place you will end up in by mistake or just be passing through.
I didn't even know it was there until I read this thread and the location is not far from me. Somewhere in Scarborough is probably a reasonable decision. Not so very far away is the Scarborough LBC office which has been there for years (mind you - you won't find it unless you look hard!). A long established filipino business there probably indicates a good sized filipino population in the area. If I get a chance, I might check it out (not that Jollibee is my "go to" restaurant!)
I can believe about 20 stores could be successful unless Jollibee can appeal to a wider customer base. A couple in the GTA, a few in the Vancouver area and the rest in various provincial cities and towns (like Halifax, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton and so on)

Speaking of Tim Hortons, we visited the one in Pasay today.

Unlike other chains they have stuck to their traditional menu, only adding a few minor items.

It seems to be working very well for them. The restaurant we were in today was packed with pinoys all enjoying Canada's finest.

My point is that Jollibee should stick to it's Filipino menu but they will desperately need to upgrade burgers mostly to attract clients.

Paddy
34 minutes ago, Enuff said:

Speaking of Tim Hortons, we visited the one in Pasay today.

Checking out a Filipino Tim's double chocolate donut is on my to do list ? as is a small regular dark roast.

Of course, I doubt they'll ever make it to Masbate. McDonalds has only just arrived in the last year! (Jollibee has been there for at least 10 years).

Enuff
Checking out a Filipino Tim's double chocolate donut is on my to do list  as is a small regular dark roast.

Of course, I doubt they'll ever make it to Masbate. McDonalds has only just arrived in the last year! (Jollibee has been there for at least 10 years).

We had an toasted asiago bagel with vegetable cream cheese, honey crueller donut, Boston creme donut, baked hash browns, large double double coffee, small black coffee and a medium fresh brewed sweet tea.

p405 ($7.59 usd) and worth every peso. Actually cheaper than if in Canada or USA.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
3 hours ago, Enuff said:

We had an toasted asiago bagel with vegetable cream cheese, honey crueller donut, Boston creme donut, baked hash browns, large double double coffee, small black coffee and a medium fresh brewed sweet tea.

p405 ($7.59 usd) and worth every peso. Actually cheaper than if in Canada or USA.

I have to give it to you. You sure can squeeze every last centavo out of a peso...:)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Paddy said:

It's not unreasonable for Jollibee to target 100 locations.

of course it is unreasonable. Can't you see how ridiculous it is, that they have made such a claim. How can Canada have 100 Jollibees, when the entire United States only has 35? 

also Filipinos in Canada aren't like Filipinos in the USA. They are not concentrated overwhelmingly in a smallish part of the country . They're spread around Canada much more. 60% of Fili-Ams live in California that's why a similar proportion of the USA Jollibees are located in that single state. But only 20% of Fili-Cans, live in BC. The Canada Filipinos are just more diluted. They're more spread out. It's harder for them to reach, the Filipino brand, Jollibee.  

and just why, exactly, aren't Jollibee announcing a similar expansion in the US. They seem to be surviving there. not thriving exactly, but surviving. There's about 3 more USA Jollibees than there was five years ago. Not bad news, exactly, but not much evidence that Jollibee is taking the continent by storm. 

it's just a silly totally hyperbolic press release. Even if there is 20 Jollibees in Canada five years from now, that would be a massive success. For anybody to think that there to be a many as 100,  just means that somebody is dancing with the fairies.