Lordblacknail

Window Air Conditioner

Lordblacknail

We are looking for a window air conditioner for our bedroom. Anybody got a good quality used one that they want to sell, or any brand or store that you had good luck with? Thanks in advance.

lopburi3

Am not a fan of window type AC units but understand they are still often used there.  But regardless of the type efficiency has greatly improved over the years so this might be one item that paying more upfront could equal a lost less running costs - especially with high price of electric. Even paying for inverter type might well be cost effective for most people if they use often.  Sorry do not have local knowledge to make recommendations - but will caution not to buy too strong a unit if you want good humidity removal.

colemanlee

Ive had great luck with a Kolin brand 1.5 hp inverter model...have had it in my bedroom for the last couple of years and it will freeze you out if thats what you desire

• Like 2

Dafey

Kolin is a go to brand we've had luck with in the Philippines. If it is your main AC or you are using it often I would recommend the inverter type. We purchased a Kolin from Asia Home across from SM City and they gave us our best price after many comparisons.

@oztony is my go to for AC advice so if he gives knowledge on the subject, you can take it to the bank. 

• Like 3

Kabisay-an gid

This is a full DC inverter window unit. Typically runs around P27,000 brand new, give or take a thousand. You might be able to haggle for a cash price a tad lower.

HITACHI RA-10HVQ 1.0HP (Compact) WINDOW TYPE INVERTER

spacer.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQK2Jhq_owWsY2AyOVnTIt

• Thanks 1

Woolf

For any appliances I have always found the best cash price at Echo appliance center

I have bought aircon, microwave, gas range and refrigerator there, close to Magellans Cross

Street view

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.294082,123.9004373,3a,75y,62.59h,71.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBWDzv6eJpYCeWcRUcUr-og!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is also an Echo appliance in Tabunok

Street view

https://www.google.dk/maps/@10.2676916,123.8432184,3a,75y,259.33h,86.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sipmS3m22sCqvNS2gd4q2LA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Paddy
2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Typically runs around P27,000 brand new, give or take a thousand.

That's nearly double the price of an any-name, cheap, non-inverter unit. However, it should last, say, at least 10 years. If it saves even just Php500 per month (let's say that's 10%) on the electricity bill, it will pay for the additional cost in just over 2 years. After that it's all gravy. Do we know how much it will save on the electricity bill?

oztony

Air conditioners maintain set temperature by cooling when room temperature rises above the set temperature and heating when the room temperature falls below the set temperature.

Motor speed in non-inverter type air conditioners remains constant and temperature is adjusted by turning the motor ON and OFF, which consumes more energy.

In inverter type air conditioners, temperature is adjusted by changing motor speed without turning the motor ON and OFF.

Compared to non-inverter type air conditioners, air conditioners with inverters have less power loss and can save 30% more in energy.

Image result for inverter to non inverter savings

http://www.daikin.com.vn/en/discover/benefits/inverter-for-energy-saving

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Kabisay-an gid

@Paddy

A DC inverter window unit will reduce your electric bill by a lot more than 10%, and should make up for the additional cost of the unit within a year. 

Not to mention that the inverter units are surprisingly quiet, whereas many of your traditional non-inverter units can wake the dead, especially when they start to get a little older. 

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1

Kabisay-an gid
4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

but will caution not to buy too strong a unit if you want good humidity removal.

Good advice.

There's no need for more than a 1HP unit if one is buying an inverter window unit for a bedroom, which is where the OP was wanting to put an aircon.

Paddy

@oztony  @Kabisay-an gid

Thank you both.

@oztony my personal preference for aircon (without a central, ducted system) would be to use a split type unit with one outside unit and multiple inside units.

1. would you recommend that?
  2. how would you size the overall system if, say, you wanted to do two 4mx4m bedrooms and a 4mx8m living/dining area (in a typical un-insulated Philippines concrete construction)?

Woolf

I have a 0.5 unit in my bedroom it has worked perfect

the people that come and clean it, loves it it is so easy to take apart 

carrier.jpg

colemanlee
50 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Good advice.

There's no need for more than a 1HP unit if one is buying an inverter window unit for a bedroom, which is where the OP was wanting to put an aircon.

That would depend on the size of the bedroom

oztony
15 minutes ago, Paddy said:

@oztony  @Kabisay-an gid

Thank you both.

@oztony my personal preference for aircon (without a central, ducted system) would be to use a split type unit with one outside unit and multiple inside units.

1. would you recommend that?
  2. how would you size the overall system if, say, you wanted to do two 4mx4m bedrooms and a 4mx8m living/dining area (in a typical un-insulated Philippines concrete construction)?

I do all my calculations in kilowatts which is how A/c units are sized and rated in Australia , there will be different takes on what a kilowatt is worth compared to horsepower and I ain't getting into it only to supply this little excerpt .

1kW cooling = ~3,400BTU = ~0.4HP (layman's cooling unit HP)
So 3900W = 3.9kW = 1.5 HP

Using rule of thumb, 3.9kW cooling would draw ~1.4kW electricity = 6A

1hp is 750W, and refers to input power, ie what you pay for. The cooling power will be 2-3 times the input power, depending how efficient it is.

Old scale.... ½-HP, ¾-HP, 1-1/2HP etc. relating to the size of the compressor motor. As it was 1HP compressor usually equated to ~9000BTU, or 2.6kW cooling as used today.

Someone might ask ... but textbook says 1HP = ~0.75kW why 2.6kW here? It's 2.6 after we factor in the 3.x efficiency factor between energy input & energy (heat) moved

2 to 2.5 kilowatt system  for the 16 sqm room. .... 1 hp in local talk

6 kilowatt system for the larger room......... 2.5 hp in local lingo     the calculation is done at 120 watts /sqm 

Multi is only ok with a reputable brand  .... the downside is running the copper , condensate line and electrics across walls if it is a post build install , can destroy the ambience a bit having all that  running across the face of a wall (even if it does have a pipe cover over it ) as opposed to locating the condenser outside adjacent to the internal head unit ...bit hard to give exact advice on this without knowing the proposed positioning of all the componentry.....

• Thanks 2

colemanlee

So let me ask, the master bedroom in the new house is going to be 30 ft x 20 ft with a attached 10 x 20 cr and a 6 x 20 walk in closet, I was planning on putting my 1.5 hp Kolin window unit for cooling....(I want to stick with window units ) what would you ( Oztony} suggest?   all my calculations are done in ft.  not meters

Edited by colemanlee