Sign in to follow this  
Sonny

Marco Polo

Sonny

Did the Marco Polo used to be the Cebu Plaza??? No one I know there has heard of the Cebu Plaza. We stayed there on our honeymoon.....very nice, but a major kick in the pocketbook at the time. 120 USD.....and this was a looooong time ago! :D

Paul

Yes. That is the same building.

Sonny
Yes. That is the same building.

Is it still so expensive? Anyone stayed there lately? We stayed on the 20th floor....unlike in the States, the LARGE kneehigh windows opened ALL THE WAY UP! SCARY!!!! My new bride would not come within 8ft. of those windows when open. :(

Mark 1 EMH

They were running a promo and a friend was visiting so we stayed there 2 weeks ago. 4900 for a room for two. Honestly, except for the location (I love eating in Lahug, plus hiking in Beverly Hills area) there is little good i can say about my stay there. From being harrassed for bringing outside food into the room, to being charged P633 for a continental breakfast for a third person (would have been cheaper to grab a cab and have breakfast for 3 in IT park), to slow response in fixing a leaky ref, the service just doesnt match the cost.

Diplomat suite is a far better room, with better guest policies, at half the cost.

Is it still so expensive? Anyone stayed there lately? We stayed on the 20th floor....unlike in the States, the LARGE kneehigh windows opened ALL THE WAY UP! SCARY!!!! My new bride would not come within 8ft. of those windows when open. :welcome:

Markham
They were running a promo and a friend was visiting so we stayed there 2 weeks ago. 4900 for a room for two. Honestly, except for the location (I love eating in Lahug, plus hiking in Beverly Hills area) there is little good i can say about my stay there.

Sorry, but you're picking nits. To wit:

From being harrassed for bringing outside food into the room,

All hotels are entitled to do this and the more upscale the hotel is, the greater the chance they will impose a "corkage" charge. Try buying a bar of chocolate in Ayala and then eat it in the lobby of the Waterfront whilst having a cup of (their) coffee. You will be charged an eye-watering amount in "corkage".

to being charged P633 for a continental breakfast for a third person

But the third person wasn't a resident of the hotel, right? You paid for a room for 2 people - which included the breakfast buffet - and you're questioning the hotel's right to levy its published rate for an extra person you invite for breakfast from outside?!

to slow response in fixing a leaky ref

That can happen in any hotel since the maintenance engineers are not usually permitted to enter a guest's room unless the guest is present.

Diplomat suite is a far better room, with better guest policies, at half the cost.

You stayed in a Five Star hotel. The Diplomat is not in that category by any means.

ckfm
Sorry, but you're picking nits. To wit:

All hotels are entitled to do this and the more upscale the hotel is, the greater the chance they will impose a "corkage" charge. Try buying a bar of chocolate in Ayala and then eat it in the lobby of the Waterfront whilst having a cup of (their) coffee. You will be charged an eye-watering amount in "corkage".

But the third person wasn't a resident of the hotel, right? You paid for a room for 2 people - which included the breakfast buffet - and you're questioning the hotel's right to levy its published rate for an extra person you invite for breakfast from outside?!

That can happen in any hotel since the maintenance engineers are not usually permitted to enter a guest's room unless the guest is present.

You stayed in a Five Star hotel. The Diplomat is not in that category by any means.

I staid in very expensive hotels in Vegas, Hawaii and New York. Talking $500 plus bucks/night. No problem in bringing outside food into the hotel ( he is saying hotel room, not lobby) or even ordering pizza from pizza hut.

You wouldn't believe how many people order pizza hut or MCD in VERY expensive hotels for take in.

Venus

all hotels will charged u corkage in any foods u bring inside..what we did before is that we placed the foods,softdrinks inside my big bag and they didnt noticed it :crack-up:

Huck Finn

Sorry partner, the overall description doesn't match any five star hotel I've stayed in. :crack-up:

Huck Finn
all hotels will charged u corkage in any foods u bring inside..what we did before is that we placed the foods,softdrinks inside my big bag and they didnt noticed it :P

It's not so much that they didn't notice. You hid it where they wouldn't see it. :crack-up:

ckfm
all hotels will charged u corkage in any foods u bring inside..what we did before is that we placed the foods,softdrinks inside my big bag and they didnt noticed it :P

Where was that?

Maybe in the Philippines, never experienced that anywhere else as said before. Often, very expensive hotels even have a list of take out restaurants and pizza joints attached to their room service menu.

Edited by scianna54