My Quest to Ship a Container to Cebu

Enuff
We are shipping the container under the balikbayan rule.  Wife has been out the country for 5+ years.  Will try to ship mostly used items wink..wink.  Taking new wrappers off.  Still expect to pay some duties and tariffs though.  Question:  We are planning on our employees taking care of everything on container arrival.  It now occurs to me that the wife should be there for it's arrival.  We are definitely NOT wanting to be there when it arrives.  Summer travel too much $$ .  Besides, we don't have an arrival date and a last minute summer flight ticket for four people will be pricey.  
I'm free to stop by and beat the shit out of your new furniture to give it that used look.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheMatrix

• smokey

• DeedleNuts

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hiya stevie ole buddy ole pal.  good to see you posting again and stop by next time you're in town.  many opportunities to sell off that container once it lands here in cebu city and we can help you o

Hey Ya'll, It's been awhile since I've posted here.  I hope it's still the friendly place it always has been?  (haha)  We're still living on the vineyard in Oregon but at times we think about sel

i tend to block out memories of tremendously traumatic stuff!  janice and i can pose as you and your wife when the stuff arrives if that will help.  i have a long wig and loose dress i can use

Posted Images

smokey

the stuff I picked up at lowes ... home depo,, Costco  best buy ...... plumbing the stuff here is crap or times three the price ... fans here are crap home depo I have a few depo fans remote control ... appliances all match from Costco ... TV 860 dollars us ... here at sm 93.000 peso on sale... and best thing I ever did was wire the house 220/110 I still have my spa I brought over everything still works fine so that doom and gloom crap it will break did not happen I have my own transformers leased from veco ... bring lots of plumbing stuff the water here is a calcium nightmare

• Like 2
TheMatrix
1 minute ago, RangerUp said:

You can get a 40' High Cube for $1800.00 - https://boxhub.co/store/40ft-dry-high-cube-container-28f0cff5-ff08e.html -  They only cost slightly more than a 20' but you get more than double the cargo volume. The 40′ should be easier to sell considering they are more common for both cargo and houses.

Free shipping from Chicago to rural Oregon?  If yes, sign me up.  My prices included $480 for shipping from Portland to my home... 90 min drive.  Actually the container you quoted is not sea-worthy.  It'll never pass certification for ocean freight.  The listing clearly says this.

And seriously, I don't have enough money to fill up a 40' container.  The 20' container contents are approaching six figures already.  

Edited by TheMatrix
TheMatrix
Just now, RangerUp said:

You could include a car in a 40', like your other examples Cebu has limited options at higher prices.

I'm not aware of how to ship a car, but everything I've read so far puts importing vehicles into the Philippines on an entirely new level versus household goods... and I have not interests in paying a $25,000 tariff duties for a car worth only $25,000.  Anyone know the exclusion of how a balikbayan can import a car with household goods?

TheMatrix
Just now, RangerUp said:

Cars are imported through the Bureau of Import Services (BIS), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) (632)895-7466 - but the owner needs to be present which may exclude you. And this is something you probably want a fixer to help with, regarding those taxes.

We're being told the "owner" which is my wife also needs to be present for household goods.  This throws a wrench into things for sure.  

• Thanks 1
smokey

If you use a broker that is accredited.   Why you need to be there.   If not there assum they WILL open the container let the dogs do their thing looking drugs then x ray for not permitted stuff

Headshot
8 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

I'm not aware of how to ship a car, but everything I've read so far puts importing vehicles into the Philippines on an entirely new level versus household goods... and I have not interests in paying a $25,000 tariff duties for a car worth only $25,000.  Anyone know the exclusion of how a balikbayan can import a car with household goods?

Smokey shipped a car, and from his experience, I'm guessing that he would advise against it.

Edited by Headshot
TheMatrix
6 hours ago, smokey said:

If you use a broker that is accredited.   Why you need to be there.   If not there assum they WILL open the container let the dogs do their thing looking drugs then x ray for not permitted stuff

An accredited broker is the one that told us the wife needs to be there.  They check her passport to assure she's a returning filipino.  Are you saying the broker is wrong and we should find another?  I figure the sweet innocent wife may get off easily.  Some people have suggested to go without a broker.  Some much opposing advice... head is spinning.

smokey
14 minutes ago, TheMatrix said:

An accredited broker is the one that told us the wife needs to be there.  They check her passport to assure she's a returning filipino.  Are you saying the broker is wrong and we should find another?  I figure the sweet innocent wife may get off easily.  Some people have suggested to go without a broker.  Some much opposing advice... head is spinning.

A broker reps you. We did not use one on the container we sent but the car we did.  CONTACT DTI.  The are. The last word or call them my wife was lin us wgen lwe sent ours i was here

Edited by smokey
  • Thanks 1
TheMatrix
Just now, smokey said:

A broker reps you. We dooid not use one on the container we sent but the car we did

Like I said, the broker informed us the wife MUST be there.  I wonder if the difference being you shipped under a different rule than she will as a balikbayan returning filipino?  I guess I should speak with more brokers.  

smokey
1 minute ago, TheMatrix said:

Like I said, the broker informed us the wife MUST be there.  I wonder if the difference being you shipped under a different rule than she will as a balikbayan returning filipino?  I guess I should speak with more brokers.  

DTI.  DEPT OF TRADE.  THEY RUN THE SHOW WE HAVE SENT 3 CONTAINERS.  USED HOUSEHOLD RETURNING BB. ANOTHER SMALLER UNIT THEN CAR.  DTI MAKES THE RULES

smokey

The legal dept of customs told us.    WITH DTI PERMIT YOU DONT NEED BROKER

• Thanks 1
smokey

Steve a broker does not work for the government they are basically agents with permission to help imports they are not responsible for what is inside you also can send a.car or bike if you have one you love same under bb you will save about 40%in tax down side can not sell for 3 years.  A broker is like a real estate agent in us they help with paperwork for a fee

Edited by smokey
TheMatrix
20 minutes ago, smokey said:

Steve a broker does not work for the government they are basically agents with permission to help imports they are not responsible for what is inside you also can send a.car or bike if you have one you love same under bb you will save about 40%in tax down side can not sell for 3 years.  A broker is like a real estate agent in us they help with paperwork for a fee

Yeah, I totally get that.  A broker works for us and attempts to navigate government bureaucracy so that we don't have to.  Still, the broker told us the wife has to be there.  We will contact others for more advice.  Perhaps we'll end up not using one at all.

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, TheMatrix said:

I figure the sweet innocent wife may get off easily.

Actually a strong willed Filipina with a sharp tongue can get you farther than a compliant Filipina when dealing with customs officials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1