My Quest to Ship a Container to Cebu

smokey
16 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

Hey Ya'll,

It's been awhile since I've posted here.  I hope it's still the friendly place it always has been?  (haha)  We're still living on the vineyard in Oregon but at times we think about selling it all and moving to a big dream house on a hill in Maria Luisa with tons of staff members taking care of everything... very much unlike the situation here on the farm, where I'm working like a dog.  We actually already talked with a couple schools for the kids, Singapore School and CIS, which seem good enough.  Still pondering the positives and negatives of raising the family in Cebu.

We own a few homes there and the wife and I decided to convert some of them to Airbnb rentals.  After our recent 25-day stay at the Crown Regency in an Airbnb rental for a negotiated cheap price of 90k pesos (crazy), I see the market is strong for short term rentals.  We plan on kicking out our long term tenants, renovating with high quality furnishings from the US and thus also have a place to stay when we come to town (important).  We have begun acquiring everything from furniture to the toilets for a complete renovation with a plan of filling and shipping a container.  

The challenges are none of the shipping companies want to leave a container at our home for the couple of weeks I'm requesting.  They're saying 2-3 hours maximum while the driver waits.  We need the weeks so that we can keep buying things to fill the container tight maximizing the move, and we don't want to risk buying too much beforehand.  

We have never shipped a container so understand all this is a bit unnerving for us.  On another matter, we spoke to a container company today to purchase a long term storage container to permanently have on the farm.  In that same conversation, we asked if they had anything to do with shipping containers overseas and if they could help facilitate such a move.  They said yes... of course, right.  They said they would sell me two containers, one for storage and one for shipping.  They'll have the shipping container sea-worthy certified for $75.  They referred me to another hauler for once I have it packed, call them to take it to port.  Is it really that easy?  Surely I must have a bunch of paperwork.  How about licenses, etc?  Do I need a customs broker or freight forwarder on this side?   I'm setting up a receiving customs broker in Cebu.  

Okay, now after the container lands in Cebu port.  We own it and need to empty it.  We're not aware of any place to park it in the very urban Cebu city.  I own a lot in Toledo where we can stage it, but that too much of a haul back and forth.  I suspect we'll leave it at port and have workers with trucks haul the items to their final destination.  Then, what can we do with this container?  Is there a market for them in Cebu?  If yes, should I buy used or new container for resale?  Price is not that much difference.  $2200 for used, $3200 for new.  Does anyone have experience in recapturing container money Cebu side?  If I had a home in the province, I would definitely have one.  They make great high security storage lockers.  

I would like to learn about others experiences in doing what we're about to undertake.

lots of scammers in this line of work once the container lands ... better you get a permit before hand from DTI  then you need to ship half way across the ocean the container becomes the accredited shippers toy then it lands and the fun begins your container but he is the one in control ... wait news flash you don't need a broker if you have a DTI permit... best bet I think is to tell the DTI your wife is a Returning and your going to live here you get a ONE time free of tax deal use a 40 footer if its new in the box scrap the box suppose to be USED household goods... NOT motors NO BIKE ,, jet ski etc etc... they will open the unit and if they find anything not permitted you loose it all every piece .. once landed the fee is started you have 30 days to clear customs if not the unit becomes left  and you pay 5,000 peso a day and the  property  is sold... at auction .you need many to sign  try to get the DTI permit first on line .... remember your MOVING back and its household USED stuff  no tax but there are FEES  one is 1,000 peso a foot another trucking fee to move from boat to storage .. open fee .. release fee .. police clearance ... etc etc.. I sent over 30,000 us of home depo ... stuff and used a credit card for miles.   try to ship to Cebu and not hit manila I have a maybe connection I can give you if you go broker...

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheMatrix

• smokey

• DeedleNuts

• jtmwatchbiz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hiya stevie ole buddy ole pal.  good to see you posting again and stop by next time you're in town.  many opportunities to sell off that container once it lands here in cebu city and we can help you o

Hey Ya'll, It's been awhile since I've posted here.  I hope it's still the friendly place it always has been?  (haha)  We're still living on the vineyard in Oregon but at times we think about sel

i tend to block out memories of tremendously traumatic stuff!  janice and i can pose as you and your wife when the stuff arrives if that will help.  i have a long wig and loose dress i can use

Posted Images

hyaku
1 hour ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Well, that tells a story right there.  I did not hear about the BB boxes.  This fellow, Lee, loves his tools.  I mean he is crazy about tools and brought a 20 ft shipping container of them with him on his first trip.  I mentioned a little about his story but the point is:  Here's a guy who brought over a container then decided it was not worth doing it again and proceeded to send boatloads of BB boxes?  Since he decided it was not worth it, and he is a smart fellow with experience shipping both ways, I'd use the boxes.  Your mileage will vary.

Yes Lee brought over a container and it's now workshop. He settled for BB boxes as its easier. Last year he brought over 4 ATV's Before that things like John Deer lawn tractors and motorbikes. Splits everything down into pieces and re-welds it here. He is on his last trip right now. Next time back it will be permanent. We visit the house and his partner most weeks to sure she is ok. 

DeedleNuts

A person can't even bring in a used motorcycle?

Enuff
lots of scammers in this line of work once the container lands ... better you get a permit before hand from DTI  then you need to ship half way across the ocean the container becomes the accredited shippers toy then it lands and the fun begins your container but he is the one in control ... wait news flash you don't need a broker if you have a DTI permit... best bet I think is to tell the DTI your wife is a Returning and your going to live here you get a ONE time free of tax deal use a 40 footer if its new in the box scrap the box suppose to be USED household goods... NOT motors NO BIKE ,, jet ski etc etc... they will open the unit and if they find anything not permitted you loose it all every piece .. once landed the fee is started you have 30 days to clear customs if not the unit becomes left  and you pay 5,000 peso a day and the  property  is sold... at auction .you need many to sign  try to get the DTI permit first on line .... remember your MOVING back and its household USED stuff  no tax but there are FEES  one is 1,000 peso a foot another trucking fee to move from boat to storage .. open fee .. release fee .. police clearance ... etc etc.. I sent over 30,000 us of home depo ... stuff and used a credit card for miles.   try to ship to Cebu and not hit manila I have a maybe connection I can give you if you go broker...
Agree, use reputable companies all around and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Skimp and I might pick up a sitee or your sslon tanning chaise at auction.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Jester
21 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Well, that tells a story right there.  I did not hear about the BB boxes.  This fellow, Lee, loves his tools.  I mean he is crazy about tools and brought a 20 ft shipping container of them with him on his first trip.  I mentioned a little about his story but the point is:  Here's a guy who brought over a container then decided it was not worth doing it again and proceeded to send boatloads of BB boxes?  Since he decided it was not worth it, and he is a smart fellow with experience shipping both ways, I'd use the boxes.  Your mileage will vary.

BB box would not work for some of the things I want to ship, then again what do I need all this crap for?

• Like 1
DeedleNuts
6 hours ago, Jester said:

BB box would not work for some of the things I want to ship, then again what do I need all this crap for?

I'd like to have a decent motorcycle when I come again, I assumed all one had to do was pay the duty, but maybe I'm wrong.

savarity

Furniture seems less expensive here in Cebu and well made, but im no expert and maybe OP only wants a certain type? Plus, shipping toilets over? Are the ones available here really so bad?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Enuff
Furniture seems less expensive here in Cebu and well made, but im no expert and maybe OP only wants a certain type? Plus, shipping toilets over? Are the ones available here really so bad?

I've never seen 24 carat gold toilet in Cebu, will definitely need to import.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
smokey
7 hours ago, DeedleNuts said:

I'd like to have a decent motorcycle when I come again, I assumed all one had to do was pay the duty, but maybe I'm wrong.

No your right but if your not from here the duty is 120% plus shipping and misc fees

DeedleNuts
1 hour ago, smokey said:

No your right but if your not from here the duty is 120% plus shipping and misc fees

It's a used bike, who sets the value? Kelly?

TheMatrix
6 hours ago, savarity said:

Are you kidding?  Can't tell if you're joking, but the quality of local product doesn't even come close to the stuff found in the US.  After living there for several years, I found only the mangoes, coconuts and girls of better quality in the Philippines.  Furniture?  The decent high quality stuff is crazy expensive there... that's if you can find it.  The stuff that is considered high quality there, for instance, bonded leather, is a man-made mostly synthetic product using leather fibers mixed into a pulp, rolled out, dried and pressed with polyethylene to form leather like texture.  I recently paid 74,000p at Mandaue Foam for a bonded leather couch and loveseat for one of our rentals.  A year later, it's showing wear.  The same crap in the US would be about 1/2 that price at a discount furniture place that carries bonded leather crap.  Sleeper fabric loveseats go for double the price in Cebu at 63-67k pesos versus $700 in US.  That's if you can find them.  Sleepers are tough to find in Cebu.

Top grain leather couches and such are common everyday items in the US.  Well priced, great value for the quality.  Top grain leather is inexpensive in the US presumably due to the amount of beef we go through?  If you manage to find top grain leather furniture in the Philippines, you'll pay dearly, and still the quality will be rather crap.  The leather craftsmanship that comes out of North Carolina is based on nearly centuries of generational success.  

Toilets, don't get me started.  In the Philippines, they put the brand "American Standard" on a pedestal like it's the world's savior, and they're charging an arm and a leg for it.  Here, Amer. Standard, is about on the low end of bathroom ware.  I like the Japanese brand Toto best, but I'll settle for Kohler (made in Wisconsin), due to being more patriotic these days (thanks Pres. Trump).  The brand commonly found in the Philippines is "Tern"... pure crap in my opinion.  For true price comparison, see image, that'll be $320 in the States.  Anyway, I can go on and on.  Perhaps I'm shopping at all the wrong places in Cebu?  Where can I find high quality furniture and other housewares for similar prices as the US?

Actually, a bigger question is where can I source quality lighting fixtures in Cebu?  Ceiling fans, bathroom lighting, kitchen lighting.  Since it's 220v, must source in Cebu.  Being specialized, it's too expensive here in US.  Looks like gonna get raped on the ceiling fans.  The high end stuff is 100k pesos.  Hunter is low end btw.  In the US, Fanimation brand for instance, good quality and can be had for $150/fan at the liquidation wholesale shops.  Checking now to see if they can source 220v units.

Today, bought a new 49-inch 4K smart TV today for $219 out the door for the container.  Try coming close to that deal in Cebu.

The container will be delivered to the home early next week.  Will pack over the next month and it'll take about 30 days enroute to Cebu.  If I have room which I suspect I will, I'll post here if anyone wants me to bring over anything for them.  

Trying to figure out if the wife needs to be there for delivery or if we can have a staff member take care of everything?

toiletprice.jpg

ceilingfans2.jpg

jtmwatchbiz
7 hours ago, savarity said:

shipping toilets over? Are the ones available here really so bad?

i was thinking the same thing as i can't ever remember having one break during the past 14 years living here.  however we should keep in mind that steve may not be using toilets for the same purpose as most of us other readers.   for example...if you recall on the beverly hillbillies tv show they referred to their billiard table as the "fancy eatin" table.  

• Like 1
TheMatrix

We are shipping the container under the balikbayan rule.  Wife has been out the country for 5+ years.  Will try to ship mostly used items wink..wink.  Taking new wrappers off.  Still expect to pay some duties and tariffs though.  Question:  We are planning on our employees taking care of everything on container arrival.  It now occurs to me that the wife should be there for it's arrival.  We are definitely NOT wanting to be there when it arrives.  Summer travel too much $$ .  Besides, we don't have an arrival date and a last minute summer flight ticket for four people will be pricey.  

TheMatrix
Just now, jtmwatchbiz said:

i was thinking the same thing as i can't ever remember having one break during the past 14 years living here.  however we should keep in mind that steve may not be using toilets for the same purpose as most of us other readers.   for example...if you recall on the beverly hillbillies tv show they referred to their billiard table as the "fancy eatin" table.  

haha Fred... don't you recall the in-depth conversations on the quality of our bowel movements?  You might recall the pics... mod removed the crap, but kept the bidet pics.  ?

• Haha 1
jtmwatchbiz
3 minutes ago, TheMatrix said:

haha Fred... don't you recall the in-depth conversations on the quality of our bowel movements?  You might recall the pics... mod removed the crap, but kept the bidet pics.  ?

i tend to block out memories of tremendously traumatic stuff! 

8 minutes ago, TheMatrix said:

It now occurs to me that the wife should be there for it's arrival.  We are definitely NOT wanting to be there when it arrives.  Summer travel too much $$ .  Besides, we don't have an arrival date and a last minute summer flight ticket for four people will be pricey.  

janice and i can pose as you and your wife when the stuff arrives if that will help.  i have a long wig and loose dress i can use as the disguise and janice can wear a hat,  glasses and men's clothing.  they'll never know...    

• Haha 2