New to this site; questions

1. why do all my posts have to be approved by a mod?  what is this, kindergarten?

2. why do so many threads end up getting locked?

3. the moderating/officiating is so heavy-handed -- one of my posts was mysteriously deleted, then I got a PM that said "your post and opinion covers information already stated in this thread".  So what?

4. why do people have such an unpleasant air toward each other on this forum?  are expats living in Cebu a particularly pissed-off group?

I mean, whoever owns the forum gets to make the rules I guess. But it does seem very odd to have everything be so heavily moderated.  It's like living in PRNK.

oztony
43 minutes ago, David2 said:

1. why do all my posts have to be approved by a mod?  what is this, kindergarten?

To vet new members and make sure they are not unpaying advertisers , trolls or past members that have been banned. It used to be 3 posts I think it is now half a dozen or so....

49 minutes ago, David2 said:

2. why do so many threads end up getting locked?

Threads usually get locked when they have reached their capacity of usefulness or when they become argumentative.

52 minutes ago, David2 said:

3. the moderating/officiating is so heavy-handed -- one of my posts was mysteriously deleted, then I got a PM that said "your post and opinion covers information already stated in this thread".  So what?

Not all moderating staff operate in the same manner , I am sorry you have had an experience with what would appear to be a menial thing , if you post a link to the thread here I will have a look at it.

55 minutes ago, David2 said:

4. why do people have such an unpleasant air toward each other on this forum?  are expats living in Cebu a particularly pissed-off group?

The forum is made up of a very diverse group of personalities and origins although I don't see the unpleasant air that you are referring to.

Can't be.  I have made a couple dozen posts.  I'm certainly not a troll or anything.  At any rate it's up to you guys but this is the most moderated forum I've ever seen

oztony
On 6/8/2018 at 8:28 PM, David2 said:

Can't be.  I have made a couple dozen posts.  I'm certainly not a troll or anything.  At any rate it's up to you guys but this is the most moderated forum I've ever seen

If you look under your moniker it says 5 posts ...maybe the limit is 10 before they become instantly published , 

Maybe @Salty Dog can have a look at the permissions .

I hope things improve for your experience here ....

It's still locked.  At any rate, I feel there's way, way, way too heavy-handed moderation on this site. As soon as people start weighing in with different opinions on a thread, you lock it.  Why?  Isn't that what a forum is for?  Take a look at the long list of threads you've locked, over mild disagreements no less.  Pathetic.

oztony

@Salty Dog  David won't be joining us in any conversations anymore ......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2