Can you Increase the Height of the Septic Tank?

JohnSurrey

485118473_YardDrainageProblem.thumb.jpg.0b92883cf7c29aa4310753e9e07a51ad.jpg

So continuing on from my other thread (got the laser out) - upon checking the pitch of the land:

Our septic outlet is only 1/2" higher than the place we are planning to drain to 30 meters away giving us a very low pitch 0.04%

Our neighbours septic outlet is better it's 7 1/2" higher than the place we are planning to drain to 30 meters away giving us a low pitch of 0.63%

Both the 0.04 and 0.63% pitch measures are well below the recommended 1 to 1.5% pitch measure recommended for water/sewage drainage...

So what do you do here?

RogerDat

If I understand you, then the answer is S--T will not flow to your tank very well, and may back up frequently. There is a chart for this https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/plumbing/pipe-slope.html

2 1/2" or smaller1/4" per foot

3" to 6"1/8" per foot

8" or larger1/16" per foot

Edited by RogerDat
  • Like 1
lamoe

If you can't move the tank move the sh!t.

Flush up pump - not the same as sump pump - but same principle.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/industrial/difference-between-sewage-pump-and-sump-pump/

Had both in old house  - 1 in garage basement for water - the other in house basement all waste water flowed in pit then pumped out.

If you have to can put back flow valve in line - had one of those also

image.png.98d091ffdd023b9e1731b6b26f31aeb4.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
max111

How about vacuum toilets?  Similar to what is used in aircrafts/ships?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
JohnSurrey
29 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

If I understand you, then the answer is S--T will not flow to your tank very well, and may back up frequently. There is a chart for this https://www.archtoolbox.com/materials-systems/plumbing/pipe-slope.html

2 1/2" or smaller1/4" per foot

3" to 6"1/8" per foot

8" or larger1/16" per foot

Yes same thing - for a 4 to 8 inch pipe you need a fall of 1/8" per foot which is equivalent to 1 inch in 100 or 1% etc

Not really my question ? ... just wondering how can solve my problem to get a pitch/drop/fall of 1%, or 1" in 100, or 1/8" per foot over a distance of 30.5 Meters (1200 inches)

What can I do to increase the height of my septic tank outlet pipe by another 11 1/2 inches ...

So as we end up with a gradient of 12 inch in 1200 - (1% or 1/8" per foot)?

Edited by JohnSurrey
lamoe

Not being sarcastic

For 12" gravity feed you have to either raise the commodes with exposed drain pipes or lower the tank

Internal or even external  barrel trap and sewage / effluent pump are the easiest.

Don't forget back flow valve.

image.thumb.png.7d2b48fc61de40acf4d6d95ef8ac908f.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

My experience at work was that the SH!T always flowed downwards.

I worked in an office though - not a plumber  - so that is not a professional observation  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
lopburi3

Indeed a pump can be used inside a septic tank to pump up to a higher tank and then drain from that.  Father had to use that system some 50 years ago at a lakeside cottage to cross road to a higher overflow/drainage field.  

• Like 1
Jess Bartone
33 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

My experience at work was that the SH!T always flowed downwards.

I worked in an office though - not a plumber  - so that is not a professional observation  ?

Same sht happens in construction.

But to answer the question, do you have the space to make a leach field?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=leach+field&rlz=1C1GIGM_enAU730AU730&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY9o_7nbzbAhVMkZQKHctrDoEQ_AUICigB&biw=1262&bih=571

Pick the simplest design and you can grow vegies above it. Also I remember someone on the forum said to add a pound of yeast to the tank and it will devour most of the solids, the outflow would be very fertile.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Jess Bartone said:

Also I remember someone on the forum said to add a pound of yeast to the tank and it will devour most of the solids, the outflow would be very fertile.

Exactly how VB is brewed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Jess Bartone
1 minute ago, GBT62 said:

Exactly how VB is brewed 

Anything tastes good if it's cold enough and you're thirsty enough. Except VB.

• Like 2
Jess Bartone

But if someone reached into an esky and offered me one on a January day I would not say no. I would be forced to drink it until it started tasting good, sort of like Guinness.

• Like 1
max111
20 minutes ago, Jess Bartone said:

But if someone reached into an esky and offered me one on a January day I would not say no. I would be forced to drink it until it started tasting good, sort of like Guinness.

Guinness is a good beer, heavy but good!

What does it have to do withSeptic Tank

Edited by max111
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
JohnSurrey

Thanks for replies... obviously not making myself clear - I'm not asking about the flow INTO the septic tank - I'm trying to clear the water we have lying in a ditch (canal) between where our waste water comes out of the house and a field at the back of our plot where we would like to drain to.

So my limiting factor is septic tank outlet (not the inlet where the sewage goes in) - that is only 1/2 inch higher than the place 30 meters away where we would like to drain to...

So if we use a 4"-6" pipe to drain off that waste and all the other water that is collected along the way to the field we need to have a 1":100" drop for it to run away nicely... 30 meters is 1200 inches so we need a drop (or difference in height) of 12 inches between the septic tank outlet pipe and the end of the pipe at the field.

Therefore my question is - can I raise the height of septic tank outlet (not the inlet where the sewage goes in) ?

Or are there other ways around the problem?

Woolf

Dig down a holding tank, connect the output of the septic tank to the holding tank

when holding tank full pump it out through the pipe to the field

then you will have a "high" flow rate, that should keep the pipe clean, the pipe diameter does not need to be that big then

you can put a one way valve in the pipe, just after the pump

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1