Sign in to follow this  
wondersailor

Custom's Fees on Balikbayan Boxes?

Enuff
As I stated, I am reporting my recent experiences with shipped b boxes. I used Global  Cargo and all boxes were in great shape. I received them 2 days ago and my only issue is that it took 2 months and 1 week to receive them. I paid $45 a box and I wonder why anyone would ship with the big boys at twice the price? Go Global Cargo!
I use Global Cargo too. Direct from Newark, NJ to Cebu. Typically takes 5 to 6 weeks, last one took 7 weeks due to a tie up in Taiwan. Never opened. I was paying $45 from Newark, now I pay $50 from Baltimore.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Daddy

We are currently in the states and sending many BB. The rules have changed somewhat. We are making a list of each boxes contents and puttting a value on same. If it used you need to put that in. If it is new they will charge a customs fee, not sure how much.

All governments are looking for money in the couches. So don't be surprised if they tax you on some items. None of ours have been opened that we sent....just can't wait to get back home, 3 weeks from tomorrow.

Enuff
We are currently in the states and sending many BB. The rules have changed somewhat. We are making a list of each boxes contents and puttting a value on same. If it used you need to put that in. If it is new they will charge a customs fee, not sure how much.
All governments are looking for money in the couches. So don't be surprised if they tax you on some items. None of ours have been opened that we sent....just can't wait to get back home, 3 weeks from tomorrow.
It depends on the company, Global Cargo hasn't changed a bit for me. I just put down "used household items", never a value.

• Like 3

RogerDuMond
7 minutes ago, Enuff said:

It depends on the company, Global Cargo hasn't changed a bit for me. I just put down "used household items", never a value.

It isn't the company that changes or not. Last year the Philippine law or at least the intended enforcement of the law concerning Balikbayan boxes changed. There is now supposed to be a full accounting of contents and I doubt that any shipping company is going to do anything to enforce it, leaving it up to the individual making the shipment to comply with the law. I said earlier that my wife hasn't changed how she lists contents putting only "household goods" on the shipping form and to date nothing has been inspected. She has sent about 8 boxes since the change went into effect.

• Like 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

It isn't the company that changes or not. Last year the Philippine law or at least the intended enforcement of the law concerning Balikbayan boxes changed. There is now supposed to be a full accounting of contents and I doubt that any shipping company is going to do anything to enforce it, leaving it up to the individual making the shipment to comply with the law. I said earlier that my wife hasn't changed how she lists contents putting only "household goods" on the shipping form and to date nothing has been inspected. She has sent about 8 boxes since the change went into effect.

Actually, the changes last year in BB Box requirements were reversed shortly after they were put into place. The OFW's howled when Customs tried to enforce the new changes, so they went away as quickly as they appeared. Seems that Philippine politicians understand that they are only in office by the grace of the voters.

• Like 2

wondersailor

I have a feeling , no hard facts to back it up, that much comes down to the personal relationships between the shipping companies and customs. This was intimated to me by the head of Global when I talked to him of my concern of shipping 22 boxes all at once. I spoke to him several times about this. I was worried about customs. I asked whether it might be best to just send a few boxes at a time and was told not to worry about it. I sent them all and held my breath. Not writing giving a general description of contents (garden, kitchen, etc.).

I might be full of beans with this theory but I shipped with a small company, looking to aggressively expand, because they are more concerned about keeping their clients satisfied. This and their low prices. Trying to get in contact with representatives from lbc or forex was futile ,and my thinking is the big companies probably care less about a few unhappy customers. I did not want to be an unhappy customer.

billy

I have a feeling the company you use to send boxes doesn’t matter. This is the new normal. Customs doesn’t say this is LBC we will check or we won’t check.

RogerDuMond
18 minutes ago, billy said:

I have a feeling the company you use to send boxes doesn’t matter. This is the new normal. Customs doesn’t say this is LBC we will check or we won’t check.

Look at it from the point of view of an underpaid customs agent. A shipment comes in and has 5 boxes from a small shipping company and 5000 boxes from LBC, what are you going to check if anything?

RogerDuMond
21 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Trying to get in contact with representatives from lbc or forex was futile

I know from experience in the U.S., that the best way to contact the LBC rep from your area is to go into your local Filipino grocery store that handles LBC shipping and ask them for the name and number of the area rep.

wondersailor
47 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

I know from experience in the U.S., that the best way to contact the LBC rep from your area is to go into your local Filipino grocery store that handles LBC shipping and ask them for the name and number of the area rep.

If you live in an area that has a Filipino or Asian market, great. I did not. If lbc or forex reps would answer a phone the amount of additional business would probably be substantial. After 15 to 16 unanswered calls to each I gave up. There again, Global is different, makes you feel they want your business. Any time you have a question you can always reach someone and get an answer. What a pleasant difference. If you have a good working relationship with lbc, forex or whoever, great. Not my experience.

billy
On 9/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, RogerDuMond said:

Look at it from the point of view of an underpaid customs agent. A shipment comes in and has 5 boxes from a small shipping company and 5000 boxes from LBC, what are you going to check if anything?

It doesn’t matter who the shipping company is. 

RogerDuMond
15 minutes ago, billy said:

It doesn’t matter who the shipping company is. 

You are right, it isn't supposed to matter.

billy
31 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

You are right, it isn't supposed to matter.

I’m just curious do you have inside information to contrary? Or where did you get your info from on small and large companies?

Enuff

I shipped 3 boxes on 7/06 from Baltimore, MD. From there they went to Newark, NJ and sailed on 7/12. They were delivered intact exactly how I shipped them, unmolested, on Friday 9/21.

My manifest said "used household goods" with no value estimated.

Typically they would have arrived 2 weeks earlier but there was a hold up in Taiwan.

• Like 2

JamesMusslewhite
On 6/5/2018 at 2:51 AM, SkyMan said:

My one advice would be to send multiple shipments instead of all at once unless you get some kind of discount for that. I think a bunch of boxes would draw attention.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

True, we shipped 42 at once and was the talk of the community...