Sign in to follow this  
wondersailor

Custom's Fees on Balikbayan Boxes?

wondersailor
29 minutes ago, M.C.A. said:

The costs though to send these very limited sized boxes here so is it worth it? Probably over $1500 in costs. 

And the real issue is that you're coming here on a tourist Visa... What?  You can have your 13a knocked out stateside before you come here, it only took me two months to complete this through the mail and probably much quicker if near a Philippine Consulate, good luck messing Immigration and travel expenses here at a minimum you're looking at two years to get your Immigration woes straightened out.

wondersailor
1 minute ago, wondersailor said:

what are you talking about????

M.C.A.
3 hours ago, wondersailor said:

what are you talking about????

Ok will PM you on this.

• Thanks 1

Richard K

I have not had a single problem being here under the tourist waiver.. I have been here over 3 years and plan to stay. I went back to the states after a year or so for my daughters wedding and started it all over again. When I come back this next time after a month in the states I will try to do the 6 month extensions....it really is not very complicated.
I never paid over $85 per box with LBC.. the place is about an hour from where i stay...takes 2 months for delivery right to your door. .. They would have brought me the boxes and picked them up from my house but it was me that had some logistical problems with that so I picked up boxes and brought them to them.
I always sent to a pinoy address and name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Richard K
6 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

And the real issue is that you're coming here on a tourist Visa... What? 

There is no issue at all...you do not need to do ANYTHING at all... hop on a plane

• Like 1

yee
On 6/4/2018 at 7:54 PM, cookie47 said:

Never had a problem, recently sent five and have sent two or three at Christmas for years.
Always to a Philippine name and address. Have used a couple of different named shippers including LBC.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

what's the cheapest you've used?

• Like 1

cookie47
what's the cheapest you've used?
Hi,
$110au from Melbourne.
$130au from Perth.

I guess the cost difference relates to supply and demand. Many more Pinoy shops in Melbourne.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

MickyG

from the UK  it is about 150£ for their largest jumbo box , just over 200$US

I am looking at getting my first one sorted for a pre xmas delivery

yee

Does it cost more around the Christmas season because of demand?

Enuff
Does it cost more around the Christmas season because of demand?
What demand?

Christmas season for Balikbayan boxes is June, July & August.

Most take 2 months, some quicker depending on volume, location and logistics.

I get them from Newark, NJ direct to Cebu for $45 and takes 6 to 8 weeks.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

PeteHK

I guess the term "Balikbayan" doesn't strictly apply in this case if he is not married to a Filipina so maybe it could be treated as just shipping personal stuff.  Some posters seem to suggest it is possible to get by this by using a local Philippines address and person as recipient.

We have sent five jumbo boxes from Hong Kong in two batches.  No problems at all - door to door.  Last two boxes arrived in less than three weeks. 

RogerDuMond
On 6/4/2018 at 6:17 PM, wondersailor said:

Anyone have any recent knowlege of what monitary damages the friendly folks at Philippine Customs might take out of my hide?

In 25 years, we have never had a box opened nor have we ever had to pay customs fees. One thing that I would suggest, is that you use a prominent shipper. Now I have no information that it makes a difference, but logic would dictate that if you are using a company like LBC that has thousands of boxes coming in every month, you stand less chance of them being closely inspected.

• Like 3

BossHog
8 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

In 25 years, we have never had a box opened nor have we ever had to pay customs fees.

I hadn't either. Until the past eighteen months. Every balikbayan box I get now has been broken down and thoroughly examined. Some stuff goes missing. Never encountered this before. Something seems to have changed. We get a lot of BB boxes; they all get inspected now.

Wrapped gifts all get torn apart and examined. It's just my experience but have never seen this before in twenty years of shipping boxes here.

But, yeah. Have never gotten any customs fees on balikbayan boxes.

Edited by BossHog

RogerDuMond
5 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Every balikbayan box I get now has been broken down and thoroughly examined.

5 boxes using LBC last month and none opened. Also, even with the new rules, my wife continues to mark every shipping sheet "Household Goods" only with no breakdown of contents.

• Like 5

yee
45 minutes ago, Enuff said:

What demand?

Christmas season for Balikbayan boxes is June, July & August.

Most take 2 months, some quicker depending on volume, location and logistics.

I get them from Newark, NJ direct to Cebu for $45 and takes 6 to 8 weeks.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

OH! Didnt know it took so long!