Sign in to follow this  
wondersailor

Custom's Fees on Balikbayan Boxes?

wondersailor

I am making the move to the Philippines the middle of next month and am shipping 15 to 20 boxes of household goods ahead. Anyone have any recent knowlege of what monitary damages the friendly folks at Philippine Customs might take out of my hide? as I said, no cars, boats or planes, just household goods. Thanks

Edited by wondersailor
bad spelling

smokey

are you returning with wife or retirement visa them are good rates ... or just moving and your talking bb boxes most of the time nothing

• Thanks 1

wondersailor

Just under a tourist visa. I just did not wanted to be blind sided.

Dafey

Sent 26 Balakbyan boxes when we moved her in 2016. Nothing was opened, nothing missing. Even had a double box tapped together with 3 flat screen TVs inside. Came through like a champ!

One glass vase was broken in one of the boxes but I could have packed that box better...my fault.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Paddy

Doing much the same but with somewhat fewer boxes. I am not expecting much either in terms of breakage or brokerage. All other BB boxes I have shipped have arrived safely with no customs fallout.

I also got a quote from a regular moving company. 100 cu ft for a bit less than CAD$5K - no thank you! A BB Box (~8cu ft) from Toronto to Luzon (Masbate) is about CAD$95 (not including LBCs current $10 off promo). The only real difference is that I have to pack the BB boxes myself.

• Like 2

SkyMan

My one advice would be to send multiple shipments instead of all at once unless you get some kind of discount for that. I think a bunch of boxes would draw attention.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

wondersailor
39 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

My one advice would be to send multiple shipments instead of all at once unless you get some kind of discount for that. I think a bunch of boxes would draw attention.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Though of that too but unfortunately, not a possibility. Have to pack 'em up, load them on a uhaul and travel two states away and drop them. Besides, if you use the same shipper and send them all within a month's time they would all probably end up on the same ship anyway. Just hope Dafey's luck is contagious!

• Like 1

Paddy
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

send multiple shipments

Not a bad idea really. Mine will likely go in two lots at least a week apart. There was no "surprise" about the number when I called this morning to set up the first pick up.

1 hour ago, wondersailor said:

two states away

LBC come to my door to pick up so this is much less of a problem for me.

• Thanks 1

Richard K

I have used LBC a couple of times...but only 4-5 boxes each time... never had any custom fees. I sent a bunch of tools in one and it was so heavy it took 2 of us to lift it. Never had any damages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lordblacknail

when we moved here in 2011, we sent 63 lbc boxes. The only thing broken was stuff we didn't pack properly. We actually sent them to Paul, but changed the address to our house after we got here. Not one problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
3 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Though of that too but unfortunately, not a possibility. Have to pack 'em up, load them on a uhaul and travel two states away and drop them. Besides, if you use the same shipper and send them all within a month's time they would all probably end up on the same ship anyway. Just hope Dafey's luck is contagious!

Call first. They only let us send 5 boxes at a time. Fortunately the LBC was in our town and it took a while to pack stuff up so we averaged a shipment every couple of days.

Jawny

Is there any risk of having to pay duty if the shipment is from a foreigner to a non-resident tourist?  I had the impression the duty free aspect was for a variety of classes of individuals (returning OFW, 13a visa orders etc). 

Dafey
15 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Is there any risk of having to pay duty if the shipment is from a foreigner to a non-resident tourist?  I had the impression the duty free aspect was for a variety of classes of individuals (returning OFW, 13a visa orders etc). 

And...there is that! you're right, that's what BB was designed for and the new rules that came out recently were very strict on this. Only Filipinos allowed to send boxes. However, everyone screamed about the stiff rules and they relaxed/disregarded the rules and currently still do.

There's always a risk

• Like 1

cookie47

Never had a problem, recently sent five and have sent two or three at Christmas for years.
Always to a Philippine name and address. Have used a couple of different named shippers including LBC.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

M.C.A.
14 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Just under a tourist visa. I just did not wanted to be blind sided.

The costs though to send these very limited sized boxes here so is it worth it? Probably over $1500 in costs. 

And the real issue is that you're coming here on a tourist Visa... What?  You can have your 13a knocked out stateside before you come here, it only took me two months to complete this through the mail and probably much quicker if near a Philippine Consulate, good luck messing Immigration and travel expenses here at a minimum you're looking at two years to get your Immigration woes straightened out.

• Like 2