Using your Medicare in Guam

papimafioso69

I have heard that Guam has two great Hospitals . A friend of mine's brother worked there as a nurse and said they were great . That got me thinking about when I turn 65 of having   a  P.O. Box and  becoming  a resident of Guam if possible . Any thoughts  ?? And is anyone on this board doing that now .

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Part A (Hospitalization) is free and can be used in Guam regardless of where you live. Just make sure you enroll when your approaching 65.

You have to pay for Part B (health insurance), so a lot of expats don't carry it when they live in the Philippines.

• Like 1
nothingbutquestions

OP, I do not know the answer to your question about Guam. I post this only to expand on Salty's comment.

Medicare Part A, the only Free part of Medicare, is automatic (at least it was for me); you are automagically enrolled. YOU MUST OPT OUT of Part B. My experience was they started deducting the fee for Part B also automagically and I had to begin correspondence to cancel and ask for the refund of the several months fees they had already taken. With the help of my Congressman's office. I finally got it sorted out and the monies refunded. NOTE:You will be PENALIZED for denying the government it's money by opting out. Should you ever need or want to enroll at a later date, you will pay a 10% premium penalty (1 YEAR 10%, 2 YEARS 20% OR PERHAPS 21% IF THEY COMPOUND IT, etc) added to your monthly payment FOR EVERY YEAR YOU OPTED OUT. Governments are all the same they will not be denied their money. 

THESE ARE ONLY MY EXPERIENCES FROM SEVERAL YEARS AND THE RULES MAY HAVE CHANGED. PLEASE DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH TO VERIFY. (YES, i DO KNOW KNOW HOW TO SPELL "AUTOMATICALLY.")

LechonBuddha

Don't need to be a resident of Guam to use Medicare there. Any hospital or other that accepts Medicare has to allow you to use their services. Medicaid Is another story I believe but not certain.

One other thing, in addition to enrolling in Part B, is locating a Doctor who's taking new patients. This isn't always the easiest thing to do. Also, you'll probably want  to figure out which supplemental Medicare insurance plan to carry if you don't already have something from a previous employer.

Guam might be a good way to go but I also think, in most cases, it may be just as easy to use Medicare back in the mainland U.S. where you'd have access to a wider range of care and costs for everything are more reasonable. For example, what if you needed to remain for outpatient care for weeks or months? Much cheaper to get a temporary or longer residence on the mainland U.S. It's just my opinion but I think anything that can wait for you to get to Guam can wait until you get to the Mainland U.S. 

• Thanks 1