Sign in to follow this  
Rexsmith

Marry a Filipino in Thailand?

Rexsmith

I was just wondering about this. From what I hear it is a pain in the ass for a Filipino woman to get a divorce in this country. Say a guy wanted to marry a local woman would it be possible for him to take his Filipino girlfriend to Thailand and get married there? Then apply to bring her to his home country if that is his desire. Then in the future if the marriage went bad much easier for both parties.

Had a friend who married in China. The marriage went bad and he just planned on getting a flight back to the US and washing his hands of it all. Like it never happened. 

Has anyone done that or heard of it being done (married a Filipino in Thailand)? 

lopburi3

If already married it would not work as proof of being single is required (letter from your home country Embassy).  But yes 2 foreigners can get married in Thailand without too many issues but the paperwork requirement would still involve Philippine officials so not sure of what issues that might involve.  Just getting the finance to Thailand might be another issue - both getting visa and departing Philippines can be issues for single woman.

Edited by lopburi3

HTM
1 hour ago, Rexsmith said:

Thailand and get married there? Then apply to bring her to his home country if that is his desire. Then in the future if the marriage went bad much easier for both parties. 

you can, and you can also get a divorce in another country, but she still is considered as married her in the Philippines.

Barryrio

@lopburi3: Has something changed visa-wise? I have visited Thailand on several occasions with my Philippine g/f and a visa was never required. Just given a 30 day stay on arrival? Interested to hear as trip coming up in July!

HTM
58 minutes ago, Barryrio said:

@lopburi3: Has something changed visa-wise? I have visited Thailand on several occasions with my Philippine g/f and a visa was never required. Just given a 30 day stay on arrival? Interested to hear as trip coming up in July!

It's the same, no need for a visa to Thailand for her.

lopburi3

Sorry for delay - not getting alerts for new posts it seems - as mentioned non visa entry should be an option if can get PI immigration to allow exit.  It is getting visas to remain in Thailand for those working without official paperwork that have the visa issues (many of the teachers).