Where to find Borax powder in Cebu?

Kreole

Kreole

BORAX  (Borax are Sodium Tetraborate, Disodium Tetraborate Decahydrate, or Sodium Borate. Chemically it is all the same

I have read recently that Borax helps restore cartilage for those suffering from osteoporosis, so I thought to give it a try.  Does anyone know where I can buy this product?  It comes in powder form, and I know that it is sold as pesticide for ants and maybe cockroaches.  It has a multitude of uses and is included in many, many products, including some food products.  To my knowledge there is no "food grade" borax, but that does not matter, since borax is the same whether it goes into food products or pesticide.  Thanks ahead. 

Headshot

Borax is available at Benny's Pawnshop at the corner of Sanciangko and Palaez streets in Colon. They sell it by weight. I would be very cautious about putting it in your body. Borax is also used as an ant poison.

• Administrator
Dafey
8 hours ago, Headshot said:

Borax is also used as an ant poison

Definitely don't give it to your aunt!

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

hiya kreole depending on where you live you may try the smaller hardware shops as many welders use borax.  we have bought it at those small roadside shops before on v. rama st. and duterte st. in banawa and guadalupe. 

i agree with bill tho...you should probably check with a good local Dr. before starting in on your borax snacks.

Jawny

There is a food grade borax butI have no idea if it can be located here.  You can try the Mercury drug website and they have a contact method and answer queries about meds.

Commerically available borax is not likely to be safe for consumption.  Aside from impurities, even the formulation may not be exactly the same as there might be additives to prevent caking and such.  Not to mention the handling of bulk quantities, when not food grade.

If it is a popular method, a health food store may sell it. 

Goetz1965

You get that in any hardware shop that also sells welding equipment.
I bought a can 415grams at just 72php last month at "Cebu Atlantic Hardware" near Colon.

• Like 1
Headshot

The problem with welder's borax is that it usually comes as a paste ... which means there is something else with the borax. Who knows what that something else is?

• 2 years later...
to_dave007

Borax nostalgia.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
to_dave007
On 6/2/2018 at 10:21 PM, Headshot said:

The problem with welder's borax is that it usually comes as a paste ... which means there is something else with the borax. Who knows what that something else is?

Bought Welders Choice Borax at Belmont Tools about a month ago specifically to use as an ant poison.  (The ants have been bad this year)..  Wasn't expensive..  i think around 200 peso for 1/2 kilo.

Came as a white powder..  not as a paste as you suggested here.. so I THOUGHT I'd be ok with it.  But after mixing up a half dozen batches.. and trying multiple concentrations.. all we find so far is that it seems to REPEL the ants..  meaning if i make two sugar/water mixtures.. one with borax and 1 without..  the one with borax actually seems to REPEL the ants from the meal.. while they happily gobble up the free sugar meal.  which of course defeats the purpose of the exercise... and so far it's Ants 1 - Dave 0..  in this battle.

After some semi-successful on line research..  I learned that:

• Borax, also known as sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate, is an important boron compound, a mineral, and a salt of boric acid. Powdered borax is white, consisting of soft colorless crystals that dissolve in water.
  • I THINK that welders borax is mixed with ammonium chloride as well..  which is "likely" what is repelling the ants.
  • I am 99.99% positive that the product I want is used for CLEANING purposes rather than WELDING purposes..  If you can find the brand name "20 Mule Team"..  or Borax detergent booster or pure Sodium Tetraborate..  than I think that's the right stuff.
  • Another chemical of interest is boric acid in powdered form, also containing boron but in an acid form not a salt, which can also be used to kill ants (and termites).  And it's also quite inexpensive.
  • Both available at Lazada.. but i must go to colon for other reasons in the next week or so..  so I'll make just 1 further attempt to buy it there.  Some products there are called "Technical Grade" sodium tetraborate or "Technical Grade" boric acid..  which i believe means "pure.  THAT is what I think you need (for killing ants).
  • Like 1