Sign in to follow this  
HTM

Common Law Marriage

HTM
19 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Talks about material possessions but does not say that a CL husband is considered the father of his CL wife's children.

It says that Philippines recognize " common-law marriage " that's why I quoted some part, even if you legally married to a girl it doesn't make you a father of your wife's children.  When you have some type of economic responsibility for your live-in, you also connected to her kid and family.

You really think Wolf can get a problem or breaking the law if he alone whid his wife's grandkid? 

Headshot
12 minutes ago, HTM said:

It says that Philippines recognize " common-law marriage "

I have to wonder what their definition of "common law marriage" is. Under real common law, a couple is considered married if they have lived together for at least seven years. Just moving in together doesn't count as common law marriage.

HTM
10 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I have to wonder what their definition of "common law marriage" is. Under real common law, a couple is considered married if they have lived together for at least seven years. Just moving in together doesn't count as common law marriage.

I don't remember where it is in the law na, but here in the Philippine, it's no minimum time. You move her in, then shes your "wife".  

It's in  the family code, it only says “live exclusively with each other” , no time

Edited by HTM
family code
  • Thanks 1

RogerDuMond
5 minutes ago, HTM said:

I don't remember where it is in the law na, but here in the Philippine, it's no minimum time. You move her in, then shes your "wife".  

She is considered your wife for financial matters, but it is not recognized as a legal marriage. Under the law, a requirement for any legal marriage is a legal ceremony. That is why Article 147 of the family code does not give any specific time for common law.

HTM
3 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

She is considered your wife for financial matters, but it is not recognized as a legal marriage. Under the law, a requirement for any legal marriage is a legal ceremony. That is why Article 147 of the family code does not give any specific time for common law.

yes, and that's why you connected to her and her kids ""recognized by law, local custom and tradition". 

SkyMan
2 hours ago, HTM said:

even if you legally married to a girl it doesn't make you a father of your wife's children. 

True, but you are related to your wife's children.  You may not be related to your CL wife's children.

2 hours ago, HTM said:

You really think Wolf can get a problem or breaking the law if he alone whid his wife's grandkid? 

No because he is related to his wife's grandchildren.

1 hour ago, HTM said:

yes, and that's why you connected to her and her kids ""recognized by law, local custom and tradition". 

By law, no.  By local custom or tradition, perhaps.  Who is the interpreter?

Edited by SkyMan

HTM
9 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

By law, no.  By local custom or tradition, perhaps.  Who is the interpreter.

Ok, you the one that know

Woolf
38 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

No because he is related to his wife's grandchildren.

it is my CL wife, she has been living with us since she was about 4, we are in fact her "parents" 

I will not let that law prevent ME from being a good daddy 

when I am in ph I bring her to school in mornings also went to pick her up when younger, now she takes electric racal or habel habel by herself back

I bring her to SM Seaside for skating, I bring her to dentist, etc all just her and I, my wife works day time 

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
14 minutes ago, Woolf said:

I will not let that law prevent ME from being a good daddy 

You are probably quite fine, probably.  However, you may technically be in violation of the law and you may find yourself in a Pulis station being interrogated so as long as you are prepared for that....  Think of it from the perspective of a cop.  He sees a foreigner with a young Filipina getting in a cab and makes inquiries.  The foreigner says this is my CL wife's granddaughter.  Is this Woolf telling the truth or some pedo lying?  How do you prove she is as you say?  Does the girl agree?  Maybe the pedo told her to agree with extra money incentive or a threat to her family?

This will probably be cleaned up when your CL wife shows up and explains but then the Pulis may have a face saving problem with having detained you....

Woolf
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

He sees a foreigner with a young Filipina getting in a cab and makes inquiries

How is there any difference ?

How can the police see/know that you are the real father ???

TequilaSunset
6 hours ago, HTM said:

It's in  the family code, it only says “live exclusively with each other” , no time

If I charge her rent, then I would say she isn't then, right?

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Woolf said:

How is there any difference ?

How can the police see/know that you are the real father ???

Exactly, and that is why you need to be prepared for interrogations when you are doing nothing remotely wrong.

lamoe
7 hours ago, HTM said:

The question could be what is "Exclusively" ?

If she still has some clothes / stuff at parents house and visits for several days at a time without you, does that negate the "Exclusively"?

HTM
9 hours ago, SkyMan said:

You are probably quite fine, probably.  However, you may technically be in violation of the law and you may find yourself in a Pulis station being interrogated so as long as you are prepared for that....  Think of it from the perspective of a cop.  He sees a foreigner with a young Filipina getting in a cab and makes inquiries.  The foreigner says this is my CL wife's granddaughter.  Is this Woolf telling the truth or some pedo lying?  How do you prove she is as you say?  Does the girl agree?  Maybe the pedo told her to agree with extra money incentive or a threat to her family?

This will probably be cleaned up when your CL wife shows up and explains but then the Pulis may have a face saving problem with having detained you....

I see that you don't have a clue about how things like this is bn done here. hehe

colemanlee

Actually, somewhere, and I forget where...(Im sure somebody here knows and can find the law) the law governing this sort of stuff mentions fourth degree of consanguinity ....so IMHO if you fall into first, second, third or fourth degree of consanguinity you most likely would be ok....but how does that apply to common law?  Who knows....Im my case, Im legally married, and for instance I raise and have for seven years, my wifes children by a former marriage (live in) my wifes youngest sister and a boy between us....all of which by law fall into or above the fourth degree.    

I like Woolf also take my wifes youngest sister many places (she calls me daddy and I consider her my daughter) and have never had any trouble....but...thats here in Tacloban where I and my family are fairly well known.  If I were in Cebu for instance, I can well imagine someone might question me as to my relationship with her, which would eventually be straightened out, but who needs the hassle...hence, when I travel with her or any of my family out of the area, I normally bring my wife with me...saves a lot of bs...but remember, the wife and I are actually married not live in...