Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

Comparing Philippine's Education to Other Countries

JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, Joe Sixpack said:

It's always interesting to hear how different expats rationalize their decisions to raise kids here.   I've got one starting 1st grade next week and I would say she's ahead of her peers in the US merely because this is her 4th year in a quality private school. 

We're happy with the education at this point but plan to have her in the US system by age 10...mainly to remove her from the toxic, corrupt culture here.  Yeah, she could get a good education here but there's a reason many rich filipinos send their kids abroad. 

I like living in the Philippines but not enough that I would ask my child to make sacrifices for me.  But everyone different...and thats my opinion.

Before we moved here in 2008 I had already removed my child from the HISD (Houston) Public school system. This is because I feel education was more important than the Government imposed liberalize feminist gay/lesbian political-correct agenda being forced on my young son. I saw no need for my son to deal with having to walk through metal detectors and drug dog locker searches, nor subjected to the peer pressure from mindless drones influenced by the ever increasing moral decaying society; were peer-pressure encourages acting-out, being disruptive and conducting themselves in needless counter-productive antisocial behavior. What does the US school system produce today? Showflakes, where college students require safe-spaces, cry-baby pillows and coloring books merely because their candidate did not win. Where the lazy, inept and under-achiever is rewarded for participating or merely occupying a seat.

I brought my son here in 2008 and we enrolled him in an excellent High School where he was among bright students who were genuinely focused on being educated; and were taught to respectful to their teachers and school authority. His teachers actually encouraged competitiveness from their students and openly rewarded those achievements. The school demanded that all students maintain a 'B' average throughout the four-year curriculum, and if the student's grades fell below a 'B' average they were given a warning and a makeup exam. And if the student received a 3rd warning at anytime during the year program they were dis-enrolled. 

What his education here did lack was unruly anti-social teens, drug abuse, teen pregnancies, street gangs, high dropout levels politically correctness, emasculation of males, stiffening of competitiveness, inept teachers and administrators trying to dope their students and school systems which have decayed to the level of merely becoming taxpayer funded babysitters. And to the best of my knowledge there has never been a mass school shooting in a Philippine school by a fellow student.

Did my decision wrong for my child?  .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Joe Sixpack
11 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Did my decision wrong for my child?  .

Well congrats on having raised your son properly, against all odds.  Being born in Houston and raised nearby I know a thing or two about the area.  Like yourself, my parents cared enough to move us out of there at an early age.   But just to a nearby city with much better schools.  

As I said its interesting watching the rationalizations for raising potential first world kids in a developing nation....in your case its an unfair comparison between Philippines and an inner city US school.  Houston was a rough place for kids in the early 70"s when I was a toddler and its only gotten worse....its a shame thats all you and your son know about US schools.  Anyways, good luck to your kid and wishing him continued successes.

Enuff

Education has very little to do with the schools, teachers or systems. Its all about what is taught at home.

Me and my 2 brothers received little to no direction from our broken home. We all graduated but all 3 barely. School was nothing more than a free lunch and a place to hang out with friends.

Unfortunately my 24 yr old son got some direction from me but he just couldn't hack it. Constantly getting in trouble and fights left him expelled by 11th grade.

In every class I recall the 3 or 4 students who tried and learned and all the others like me.

Now my wife and all her siblings were valedictorians because momma cared, maybe too much. Anything less that too grades meant kneeling in salt with arms extended hold books for hours. Maybe an extreme but shows her effort.

All of the niece's and nephews went to public school and all now have college degrees and are above average thinkers . . . . and so are their friends.

My 17 yr old niece might be the smartest of all and is starting CTU in June for her 11th & 12th grades. And I've seen evidence of how pathetic her classes were, but she and others learned dispite the surroundings.

Youngest stepdaughter is lucky andr enrolled in a private school of just 15 students, all starting 6th grade in June. Her school is different because it's free and doesn't have any dancing or holidays.

There are bright spots In every system but usually It depends on the student and parents.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, Joe Sixpack said:

Well congrats on having raised your son properly, against all odds.  Being born in Houston and raised nearby I know a thing or two about the area.  Like yourself, my parents cared enough to move us out of there at an early age.   But just to a nearby city with much better schools.  

As I said its interesting watching the rationalizations for raising potential first world kids in a developing nation....in your case its an unfair comparison between Philippines and an inner city US school.  Houston was a rough place for kids in the early 70"s when I was a toddler and its only gotten worse....its a shame thats all you and your son know about US schools.  Anyways, good luck to your kid and wishing him continued successes.

I was also born a raised in Houston and attended Woodrow Wilson elm., Lanier Jr. and Lamar High school (graduated  Vanguard 77) then attended UofH (business) and later twice A&M (Biology and Botony). Back in the 60s and mid 70s those HISD schools had amazing school libraries and quality dedicated educators. Lamar High was actually college prep curriculum and one of the highest rated public High schools in the county. But they are not now what they were back when I attended those schools. The funds are being absorbed by over-paid bureaucrat-administrators instead of well stocked libraries and quality textbooks. The teachers seemed unpaid, under-qualified, over-whelmed and poorly motivated. Curriculums seemed more geared to trying to develop cheat-sheets so students passed the TAS test for funding, then they were with actually establishing a curriculum which challenged the students. My son initially attended schools in Splendora and Cleveland,Tx before I moved back down to Houston.

The total feel of the city had changed. I was primary raised in the Greater Heights/Montross areas of Houston. I still remember Nixon's forced busing from underprivileged districts but the schools were still safe and non-violent. After school you could openly inner and roam through the halls of your school as there was no need for armed guards. The schools have all totally clanged now as there are gated parking, multiple HPD armed guards, metal detectors, school uniforms to eliminate gang-colors.  After my son graduated from Piney Point Elem and was accepted into a Math/Science/ Graphics magnet program at Sharpstown J. High I would drive to Lee High School for his bus. Lee use to be an excellent school with an outstanding football program, but now it is over 80% Hispanic. They dropped their football program because they could not get enough students to field a team. It would be easier to enter Huntsville Prison than it is to enter that High School now. Lamar is still probably the best academic High Schools in Houston but they were also affected by the liberal/PC agenda. Lamar's Football team are no longer the 'Redskins' (political correctness), rather they are now the 'Texans' God forbid we hurt the sensibilities of the tribes reservationed in River Oaks.

I remember when I drive to Lamar with a fully-loaded shotgun and 30/30 in an open gun rack, and was never once told to remove it or to not to bring them on school property. Hell there were probably another 50 gun rakes along with mine every morning, I carried either a Buck knife on my belt all through Jr. High and High School as did a lot of my fellow students, and never once was there a shooting or a stabling at those schools. Perhaps liberalism and Political Correctness makes people more violent, or perhaps when students are allowed arm themselves everyone is just nicer to each other. Looking back I realize that when I attended I was probably at the very tail end of a dying era in Houston culture, just before the liberal infection of political correctness and spineless blind appeasement crept into the culture a changed everything for the worse.

But my son was able to experience an education more akin to what I experienced, so I do not regret bringing him here when I did as he was 13 years old at the time. He experienced the culture which raised his mother and was able to develop genuine bonds with his many cousins. I just regret that my wife did not teach him Tagalog and Visayan, as I feel that doing so may have further enriched his experience here. 

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1

RangerUp
On 6/2/2018 at 2:47 PM, Enuff said:

Youngest stepdaughter is lucky andr enrolled in a private school of just 15 students, all starting 6th grade in June. Her school is different because it's free and doesn't have any dancing or holidays.

private and free?

Headshot
15 hours ago, RangerUp said:

private and free?

Sounds like cooperative home schooling, doesn't it?

JohnSurrey

Speaking from my own limited experience here - it's crap... My son Grade 1 MAPEH class - my latest - wtf...

I had been wondering whether they did anything else apart from dancing for the PE part... Only to discover the other day they don't actually do PE (they all wear track suit bottoms and t shirts) - they just read the book!

Soupeod

I have found there are many different levels of education dependant on your location whether the US, Uk, or the PI.

• Like 1

TequilaSunset

Met a Filipina with a Bachelors in Early Education, and Masters in Early Childhood Education.

I said "You must be fairly smart" she simply said "No"... it's not the education you think it is. 

Daddle
4 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

Met a Filipina with a Bachelors in Early Education, and Masters in Early Childhood Education.

I said "You must be fairly smart" she simply said "No"... it's not the education you think it is. 

A student can get a good education if they want it. Few do. I asked my wife "Where did you learn to walk like that?" She replied "Fourth grade." I haven't gotten up the courage to ask which grades teach the subjects subsequent to sexy walking.

smokey

For all who fail there is cdli.  High school with open book.  

JamesMusslewhite

I recommend Regional Science High Schools as there is one in every Regional Provence. Excellent curriculum but you have to enroll the student in the 6th Grade level for acceptance, they them must also be approved by a school Principal to be allowed to take the entrance exam, then they must score in the top 140 of those tested to earn a seat in one of 3 classrooms. When I moved here in 2008 my son was the right age, and a b+ student and a duel citizen. So we were luck and was also living in the same city were the Caraga Regional Science High was located. This is certainly not the case probably not the case for most moving with their children to the Philippines.

There are Regional High schools and National High schools which are public schools. Most major universities maintain active High schools. Montessori and private High schools and also really good private Chinese school which students and teachers primary only speak English in the classroom environment and most maintain a more focused and advance curriculum. One merely has to do a little research on the internet to find decent alternative schools in you area. 

But if you are not active in the school P.T.A., assist in the education of your child, be willing to live were a quality school is located, and if your not insuring your child is motivated and willing to do the work needed to maintain quality grades? Then the fault sorely rests almost on your shoulders. Because a child can get a quality education here in the Philippines.  

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1

Bob in Iligan
Posted (edited)

I apologize for not being here a while, I am working and gathering the resources for a second house in the Philippines.

The responses to this thread have been wonderful.  It seems everyone is in agreement that you have to take responsibility for your own kids.  Amen to that.   

In our Philipines city, there is one school that gets at least 1/4 of it's entire student body into scholarships at MSU-IIT.  There are others with zero, year after year after year.  Average differences of nearly a hundred points between one school and another on the annual test.  

I forget who made the point about Philippines being superficially over-educated.  YES!  There is a peer-reviewed publication I read on that in fact - demonstrating an inverse relationship between higher education and earnings in the Philippines!  Because there is a mix of horrible schools who have zero passing rates on accounting, medical, or science boards along with schools that have 90% passing rates.  One is a good investment and the other is a scam, a waste of money.

But we see schools for learning how to be a waitress.  A higher end waitress, but give me a break.  We have a very high end restaurant known statewide close to us and they just have a trainee shadow a long term employee.  Those girls make a lot of money in tips.  It's hundreds of dollars per table, bottles of booze and desserts, prime rib...

JamesMusslewhite we see things so similarly.   At our local US school, which is remote and rural, they have had a number of lockdowns since all the school shootings.  They are such idiots when they hear someone target practicing they'll keep the kids locked up most of the day in dark rooms, not allowed to speak or move.  Defacating and urinating in the class garbage cans.  Because the Troopers have better things to do.  They ask if someone with a gun is on or even near the school, and the answer is no.  So there is no reason for declaring a school emergency. 

A parent called the troopers because their son texted home that the bus driver beat him up.  The troopers arrested the driver and parents started asking on social media why their kids were not delivered by bus.  It was because the bus company was scrambling to replace the driver who had been cuffed and carted away in a cruiser.  The rule by the bus company was that the bus stays parked until all the kids sit down.  If kids get up and fight or whatever, the bus is pulled over.  The kid would not sit down.  He texted mom instead, and lied about being assaulted.  Then he refused to sit, so the Troopers had an easy time of it detaining the driver.

This year's round of tests placed our elementary schools at 50th out of the 50 states.   47th in math.  Last place in combination.  The worst schools in the nation, hoo-rah!  

About a week ago our 3rd grader, chronologically, turned in a research paper diagnosing a skin disorder his mother and brother have.  It isn't serious, but we have wondered why it happens.  He wrote up a very nice diagnosis with diagrams and medical photos.

We are almost completely student-directed learning now.  I just tell them to do school, and keep an eye on math not being neglected.   You have to practice or you lose it.  But otherwise almost anything they propose to do is acceptable to me and it is glorious freedom from the politically correct programming those retards in the government school yonder are spewing. 

The 2nd grader shadows me a lot at work.  It's an apprenticeship I guess, in heavy equipment operation, maintenance, and repair.  Construction contracting.  I get roped into every damned aspect of construction in order to make contracts happen, but the kid is learning the heavy equipment end of things.  

They tell us how much they love their lives.  A lot.  Getting both cultures, living in both places, they like that too.  They're thrilled, really, by a lot of what we have them do.  Adult things.  As a family.  They know what the routine is at the government school, and just laugh our asses off at them for having to get up and walk to a bus, transport themselves to this police-state mentality retard factory...all day.

no thanks.

Right now the War on Boys is in full effect.  Not one single boy at this local school scored "superior" or better in any subject.  All girls.  Every grade but one, through 8th grade.  There is one boy in one grade, in science.  There are three test subjects.  All that crap about male privilege, patriarchy, etc.  Every teacher and every administrator except one is female.  One male teacher in first grade.  

The results speak for themselves, very loudly given that boys dominate the upper end of the IQ distribution.  Girls tend to be clustered more compactly about the mean of 100 for caucasians whereas boys have a slightly higher average, but far wider variance.  More at the high end, and more at the low end.

In the absence of preferential treatment, you see boys at the "outstanding" end of the test distribution, so to observe zero boys and all girls in 7 out of 8 grades - that's incredible.  These are things you cannot say at public meetings.  You are a racist, sexist, homophopic and dangerously insane person.  Your words are violence.  A SWAT team needs to be sent.  

So you homeschool.  And the results have been far, far better than we ever dreamed possible.  

Edited by Bob in Iligan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Headshot

Bob, what state do you live in?

SkyMan
23 hours ago, Headshot said:

Bob, what state do you live in?

I'm going to guess it's in the south.  When I was stationed in Alabama the rankings came in with AL 49th. So they fired the state superintendent.  His replacement had been the sup in Mississippi which had come in 50th. WTFO? 

The reason is because a large number of kids go to parochial schools because the public schools suck so bad. Every church there has a school too. So, paying for private schools, most people do not vote in favor of tax levies to improve the public school system. 

• Like 1