• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• savarity

• mikewright

• Headshot

• Enuff

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wife and I had a quick day trip to Manila a few weeks ago.  Tim Hortons for breakfast and we shared 1kg USDA prime porterhouse for two at Wolfgang's. p6288 a bit pricy but the service, ambiance and q

Posted Images

On 6/26/2018 at 11:43 PM, Headshot said:

No idea, but get the tenderloin steak, and it should be cooked either medium rare or medium. Any more cooked than that, and you dry out the meat.

I was wrong it was camper steak they were referring to.

But they cooked tenderloin badly today. Medium-rare. Surface was overdone and inside was rare. Totally dried up. Cost double of camper steak.

Will not try again. Camper steak was much better at least they can't cook it wrong.

savarity

Those are good prices at Grillers too. I saw when it opened, i believe, and think there was a coffee shop there before. Definitely will try it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

RogerDuMond
9 hours ago, rep1 said:

I was wrong it was camper steak they were referring to.

I can't find the answer on Google and have never heard of it, what is a camper steak?

• Like 1
Headshot
1 hour ago, savarity said:

Those are good prices at Grillers too. I saw when it opened, i believe, and think there was a coffee shop there before. Definitely will try it.

They have grilled Wagyu beef cubes too.

20180202_111826.thumb.jpg.2dff9570ce22a721486ceacdbc342fed.jpg

Edited by Headshot
Headshot
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

I can't find the answer on Google and have never heard of it, what is a camper steak?

Flank steak I believe.

Edited by Headshot
Jack Rat
On 5/27/2018 at 11:44 AM, RogerDat said:

Has anybody gone to what used to be Eddies Hotel behind Cebu Doctors Hospital? They used to have wonderful US steaks.

When I am ordering steak I always ask the waiter, "Is this local Carabao"? I am the reassured that the steak is imported, then soon after lots of laughter from the kitchen...Maybe a young 12 month old Carabao could be tender and tasty..I presume the flavour and texture stems from the animals locality, breed,  and quality of food..  

RogerDat

In the Philippines it is like they drop dead from old age and hard work, in Thailand, they had plenty, so the steak could be tender. i liked it dried as jerky, like tapa here.

Don't know about that place now, but were USDA back when it was Eddies.

mikewright

Recently tries two of the steaks at Circa 1900 (Casa Uno) . A bit pricey compared to other places, but it's a classy place; not recommended for those seeking budget meals.

First night had the local beef tenderloin with laing, garlic mash & black pepper sauce (575 pesos).  Nicely cooked, probably the best local beef I have had here, tender, but but it had some gristle.

Next visit had the grass-fed Aussie MB5 beef rump with Pomme Williams, sauté mushrooms & garlic diane sauce (1460 pesos). Definitely the best steak I've had in the Philippines, and on par with the steaks served in good restaurants in Oz:

979575339_Circa1900steak.jpg.923ce6340408ea9490b31f9b453c994e.jpg

On 6/27/2018 at 12:35 AM, rep1 said:

why they always recommend other steaks when I want to order the tenderloin steak?

They told me it's not American.

It must be Aussie then?.  They have it on the menu, "Australian Black Ox Angus Beef Tenderloin with Grain Mustard Jus and Rustic Potato Cake P1550 "

Edited by mikewright
Punctuation
  • Like 2
GwapoGuy
13 hours ago, mikewright said:

Recently tries two of the steaks at Circa 1900 (Casa Uno) .

How was their wine list?

mikewright
On 7/1/2018 at 10:53 AM, GwapoGuy said:

How was their wine list?

It looked reasonable, with a varied selection. We had an Australian Shiraz and Chardonnay, and a Chardonnay from Chile, all around the 1,000 peso mark, all eminently quaffable. We were given the choice of the Shiraz being room temperature or chilled, and was pleasantly surprised at how good the chilled red was.

• 2 weeks later...
CebuKano
On 5/29/2018 at 4:24 AM, samatm said:

best steak I've had  in CEBU  was at  Moritz hotel and very reasonable priced.  the 70s 80s steakhouse  decor was cool too.   US Rib eye medium rare was done to perfection.    

We dined there today and had a very pleasant experience.  I ordered a US rib eye steak, 400 grams I think and my wife had a pork chop.  Both of our meals were excellent and I now say also, best steak I've ever had in Cebu.

Ownership of the property has been transferred from the original German owners to a group of Chinese.  Anyone who has lived here long enough knows what that means.

By the way, they showed us one of their standard hotel rooms and I must say that I was surprised at how large the rooms and the CR's are.  For 2,100 per night -- Not bad. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
savarity

I'm from the middle of the US and one thing I miss in Cebu are really good steaks. Before, I had not found a true PRIME, US steak in Cebu, but I tried the ribeye at No. 9 on Benedicto st and was pleasantly surprised.

2688p, for a 560g prime US Angus ribeye.

No. 9 is a Spanish restaurant and the accompanying flavors on the plate demonstate that. For example, it was served with hot peppers, and a potato tortilla.

Unfortunately, the steak was served pre-cut. I would have requested they not do that, if I had known. They didn't hit medium rare perfectly. Otherwise, the quality of the meat was excellent. Noticeably better than other places.

It looked and tasted much better than my skills with a camera can show, 4924c50ac2ce2b8398621574cb4fe41a.jpg63ad050dc95d366340a5d6d6585b4fc7.jpg

• Like 3
Enuff
I'm from the middle of the US and one thing I miss in Cebu are really good steaks. Before, I had not found a true PRIME, US steak in Cebu, but I tried the ribeye at No. 9 on Benedicto st and was pleasantly surprised.

2688p, for a 560g prime US Angus ribeye.

No. 9 is a Spanish restaurant and the accompanying flavors on the plate demonstate that. For example, it was served with hot peppers, and a potato tortilla.

Unfortunately, the steak was served pre-cut. I would have requested they not do that, if I had known. They didn't hit medium rare perfectly. Otherwise, the quality of the meat was excellent. Noticeably better than other places.

It looked and tasted much better than my skills with a camera can show, 4924c50ac2ce2b8398621574cb4fe41a.jpg&key=8c7f338cd48a517ed998fbc8aa2a5de46f49de210cce9ac05cbb499c35e62bee63ad050dc95d366340a5d6d6585b4fc7.jpg&key=ea676e2bcbbc506f10e6e795daad4e893e34271e42be1953c5dec3bd3db434ba

Wife and I had a quick day trip to Manila a few weeks ago.

Tim Hortons for breakfast and we shared 1kg USDA prime porterhouse for two at Wolfgang's. p6288 a bit pricy but the service, ambiance and quality was worth it. Not to mention world famous creamed spinach to accompany such a succulent medium rare piece of heaven.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
billy
8 hours ago, Enuff said:

Wife and I had a quick day trip to Manila a few weeks ago.

Tim Hortons for breakfast and we shared 1kg USDA prime porterhouse for two at Wolfgang's. p6288 a bit pricy but the service, ambiance and quality was worth it. Not to mention world famous creamed spinach to accompany such a succulent medium rare piece of heaven.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

I was in the US a month ago and had the 16 oz Prime  Rib and my girl friend had a steak It was the best prime rib I ever had. The bill $60.00. For some reason I would never spend 6288 in the Philippines 

• Like 1