Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

Solar for small house

Dafey

The latest thread on solar for a small house is about 2 years old. Since we have new blood here, and certainly new technology and prices, I thought it was a good time to revisit...

I have a small house, less than 200 sqm. What would I be looking at to install and maintain solar for electric?

Could that replace my entire electric bill?

• Like 3

cookie47
The latest thread on solar for a small house is about 2 years old. Since we have new blood here, and certainly new technology and prices, I thought it was a good time to revisit...
I have a small house, less than 200 sqm. What would I be looking at to install and maintain solar for electric?
Could that replace my entire electric bill?

@dafey

Hi,mate
My Nephew has a solar system business in Cebu.. NOTE,, its only a one man band and a helper but does neat work and is ideal for small fit outs.

He accualy comes from Ormoc but resides in Cebu as he gets more work.

Not sure where you are.

Found out last night he's branched into security systems which I'm interested in (no ladder climbing for me)

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

cookie47

I've had two solar systems which i have set up myself.

2x90 watt panels on our caravan

2x90 watt panels on roof of my 4wd.

Both with solar controllers charging into deep cycle batteries.

We could live in our caravan in the Australian outback off grid as long as the sun shined. On rainy or cloudy days i would have to run the engine for 30 mins to charge the batteries but this was very uncommon in Western Australia.

What can it run.:

Well the more batteries and massive inverter quit a lot but cost/energy ratio needs to be understood and that depends on you pocket.

Lighting/ Tv is easily doable (and cheap) nowadays due to Low current LED technology.

But if your expecting to run high current products like kettles microwaves etc, (can be done) but the cost of the solar infrastructure will be high and sometimes outways the physical cost of power from the grid.

If you are off grid in the province however, yes an excellent idea for at least lighting.

Anything can be done with solar but your pocket is the controling factor.

Note, The 12 volt side of solar can be DIY, as long as you don't interfere with the 240 volt side. (unless your licenced)

Normally you don't as the inverter is a plug in job.

My Nephews solar design is normally for lighting and is fitted /wired TOTALLY.
independent of the 240 volt system throughout the house, however an inverter is offered to run low current item like Tvs, laptops

Hope this helps..

• Like 3

cookie47

I've just re read my first first post regarding Solar.

It sounded that i was "touting for work) for my nephew.

This is not the case, just helping a member. Any follow up is your choice..

• Like 2

Dafey
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

@dafey

Hi,mate
My Nephew has a solar system business in Cebu.. NOTE,, its only a one man band and a helper but does neat work and is ideal for small fit outs.

He accualy comes from Ormoc but resides in Cebu as he gets more work.

Not sure where you are.

Found out last night he's branched into security systems which I'm interested in (no ladder climbing for me)

Good to know. We are about an hour from Ormoc and may chat with him next time in Cebu

• Like 1

cookie47
Good to know. We are about an hour from Ormoc and may chat with him next time in Cebu
Right,
He has a wife ( a pharmacist) and child in Ormoc that he goes home to see when he can.

GBT62

Well In Oz it sure can be done - I think Queensland, where I was from, has one of the highest uptakes in the world. They  government had a rebate scheme about 10 years ago to encourage households to implement home systems.

I bought a system that pretty much supplied the power I needed/consumed in the daytime (batteries were too expensive back then). In fact so many people took up the option that the government wasn't making enough from power distribution to cover the cost of maintenance of the power distribution lines etc - so they dramatically reduced the rebate and changed the laws.

The cost of the panels and controllers has dropped dramatically in the last 5 years as China ramps up production of panels and controllers. Many folks though are happy only to buy their panels - with concerns over the safety and durability of the Chinese controllers.

Likewise - battery technology improves and lowers in price just as quickly.  It is now feasible to go off-grid IF you will be a long term resident and so recoup your investment. Interestingly, the AU government is not offering any rebates or assistance on getting battery systems to allow going off-grid. They have large and expensive power distribution infrastructure to maintain - so they need the incoming revenue.  

I haven't looked into the local suppliers and systems as I am currently renting - but given the cost of electricity here is on a par with costs in AU - once I buy or build I will be looking very closely at the local options.

• Like 2

cookie47

Yes correct, you have to carefully way up the cost /return ratio.

Happened to "other" nephew in Melbourne.

At first he was putting power back into the local grid and at times his power bill was Zero.

But that want going to happen for long was it.

The rebate given now is so low he wouldn't go solar again.

Yes, he is at a certain advantage over NO solar at all, but the marketing at the time of take up pushed a particular kilowatt hour REBATE, But that has been slashed to a point Where solar in the suburbs is debatable

GBT62

In fact - Tesla installed the world's largest battery farm in South Australia last year - 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-06/tesla-battery-outperforms-coal-and-gas/9625726

and only today it was announced they will outfit 50,000 homes there with battery systems 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-24/tesla-battery-plan-gets-green-light-from-sa-liberals/9794486

I have even seen Tesla Powerwall TV ads lately when streaming AU television

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

• Like 1

cookie47

Yeh,
Battery technology is leaping ahead by the week and "lipo and lithium becoming main stream.

I do feel sorry for the little old lady pensioner sitting without the heater on because she cant afford power though.
Slightly off topic

Ozepete
30 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

In fact - Tesla installed the world's largest battery farm in South Australia last year - 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-06/tesla-battery-outperforms-coal-and-gas/9625726

and only today it was announced they will outfit 50,000 homes there with battery systems 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-24/tesla-battery-plan-gets-green-light-from-sa-liberals/9794486

I have even seen Tesla Powerwall TV ads lately when streaming AU television

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

Three very doubtful quantities: None with any credibility IMO.

1: The idiot premier of SA who gave that state the highest power costs in the developed world and major power outages, while chasing the warm and fuzzy feeling of sending the state green (and broke!).. Only good thing about him is that the SA voters have since given him the flick!

2: The worlds greatest con man who sold the dumb arsed SA gov a battery that would 'solve their power problems'. What a fecking joke... SA consumes >3,400 MW on a busy day and the battery can supply 100 MW at its best. That will keep the state going for about half an hour and as little as 18 minutes if a failure occurs during a peak period!  And like all batteries will slowly die off until replaced in 8 years time.

3: The ABC. What a beat up this extreme left wing outfit is. They are a bloody disgrace and to think they have half the country conned into believing their bullshit! 

The ONLY renewable power that was ever viable is that which received massive subsidies from the stupid tax payers. Standing alone, renewables (wind and solar) are not only not viable but can not produce base load power. To have base load power add the cost of batteries and their maintenance and the cost is a joke. 

• Like 2

Dafey

So back to the topic, does anyone have experience with whole house solar in the Philippines?

bkb1

Figure out how much power you will need then take a look at the link below, and you will get a good idea of the cost and type of system you want...

https://optimusenergy.ph/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fred42
2 hours ago, bkb1 said:

Figure out how much power you will need then take a look at the link below, and you will get a good idea of the cost and type of system you want...

https://optimusenergy.ph/

Thanks..Always good to bookmark more local solar companies..
I really need a hybrid system that runs an inverter 1 HP A/C and refrigerator during the day and only fans,lights,TV,PC after the sun goes down..(during brownouts only)
Still no accurate info on how much our power company pay me for sending them excess power via grid tie inverter.. Once I know that,it will be easier to work out how the it will take for the system to pay me back.

Edited by fred42
  • Like 3

Dafey
1 hour ago, fred42 said:

Still no accurate info on how much our power company pay me for sending them excess power via grid

They do that here? I know back home they will but surprised it's practiced here. Let me know what you find, please