Martial Arts

Soupeod

lamoe
10 hours ago, cookie47 said:

What a great post even though i know nothing about self defence i found it most interesting.
I ponder this question and look for advise. We will arrive in Cebu in June on a permanent basis having visited for thirty years.
I'm, 70 and very much in the background in a "heated" situation.I WILL WALK AWAY. However I'm thinking for the first time about pepper spray. My wife 65 is not happy about the choice.

I have a very close friend who is a police officer in Australia. 30 year veteran.He says at Pistol training he talks about the issues of "freezing" when confronted with a first time life threatening event, particularly if the trainee has never been involved in Firearms.
I know its a difficult question but could that happen to me and any advise.....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Here they will not let you walk away and running is out of the question - 71 in Sept.:oldtimer:

If you do get one - DO NOT go cheap!!! MACE brand 800 P sold at Ace puts out a stream (tested - 15 ft for mine) NOT A MIST like the cheapos that will blow back in your face in a wind

Most important is to actually think about different situations and how you want to react.

Example. Surprised by assailant who has no weapon or maybe a knife but 3 / 4 meters away - spray still in pocket - hold up free hand and say - "OK, please wait"   - reach in pocket as if going for wallet - pull out spray and USE it - don't threaten him - use it.

Practice your draw ,  make sure it won't hang up - I have mine on a chain with belt loop clip - can't drop

DON'T hold arm straight out - to easy to knock out of hand - shoot from hip

Empty the thing  - don't feel sorry for him / them - remember what they were going to do to you / your lady

Don't  feel self-conscious about having in hand if there is any concern what so ever. I have no problem walking in street at night (if no traffic) with baton in right hand and spray in left. You never know when the sight of you  having defensive weapons  will deter them.

I recommend a collapsible baton - PM  me and I'll tell you how I fine tuned mine and what I did to practice draw, swing, target zones, etc.

Those here who know Martial Arts practice  so why shouldn't we?

Make sure you know how to use these things as if your life depended on it.

It just might.

20180516_215550[1].jpg

Edited by lamoe
  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cookie47

• lamoe

• Travis

• Jack Rat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a black belt and have never encountered a problem. Come to think of it I have brown belt too. I use to have a maroon belt but I lost it somewhere. If anyone found a strange maroon belt unde

But what if someone's belt or pants are too tight and they can't readily reach into their sock...

Riding a Jeepney or walking in Colon is no rieskier than doing such things anywhere else in the world. 98% of mankind is nice and friendly - the 2% stupids you meet everywhere.

Posted Images

Kabisay-an gid

Pocket-size stun gun flashlight. Note the metal "shark teeth" around the lens, good for stabbing an attacker in the eye or elsewhere. 

img_4666.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
lamoe
12 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Pocket-size stun gun flashlight. Note the metal "shark teeth" around the lens, good for stabbing an attacker in the eye or elsewhere. 

img_4666.jpg

The teeth are what deliver the voltage  through clothing.

Going for the eyes is just overkill (I like how you think)

Thought about getting one but  it's a close encounter type weapon

I'm a touchy / feeling type of guy  - I much prefer to just reach out and touch them.

Still may but adding one more chain attached to belt and I'd be able to go with Jim to a Frisco Bar.

Headshot

Why do people put themselves in situations where these kinds of defensive measures become necessary? In all of the time I have been in the Philippines (starting in 1968), I have never felt the need to take defensive measures. I do defend my home, but I simply don't go places where I would have to take defensive measures with me to feel safe.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Travis
4 hours ago, fred42 said:

We have the Karate legend Mike stone living and still training just up the road from us here in Bohol!!

b45fdb90468b83c4925b860e1d6fcc5c.jpg

That is pretty cool.

I know or knew a guy that was part of the blood and guts era of martial arts. He was also Chuck Norris's body guard.

• Like 1
Travis
17 hours ago, lamoe said:

I agree - my point was they always show 4 to 10 guys attacking one at a time  - BS

Not trying to be as a$$ or argue but being a rather small person AND very cautious  - I always carry  a 2/3 M collapsible baton (found a Man Bag with side holster for it) along with  a 5 M range pepper spray. At if we're walking at night - see post about getting back from Seaside - I do have both out and ready

Me and Big John

"If the left one don't get ya - then the right one will"

If I know you're coming :unsure:

We practiced  the time honored technique  called "Dog Pile"

dogpile4.gif

I like the pepper spray and baton idea.

I have a large bear spray for hiking here in Montana but not real practical for concealment. 

I will have to look into the baton and pepper spray when i get back to Cebu

• Thanks 1
Kabisay-an gid
20 minutes ago, lamoe said:

The teeth are what deliver the voltage  through clothing.

^ Common misconception.

The teeth are an extra defensive feature that are not on all models. All that is needed to deliver the shock through clothing is two metal points that don't even point outward - the model below would be virtually worthless for stabbing:

SG-M16000FBKA.jpg

Going for the eyes is NOT overkill, unless you kept stabbing a perp even after he ceased the attack. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
hyaku

A lot of people seem to think MA is karate. I have trained in weapon skills for most of my life. I can adapt  these to using a taser, baton,  even a tooth pick. We practice thrusts at the hole in a coin hanging on a string. We use the the word 'ma ai'. The time/distance/interval between two opponent. I don't rely on hand to hand/weapon skills I carry a taser all the time. Baton is fine but you cant carry it. I find a crowbar better, even a lump hammer.

Travis
5 minutes ago, hyaku said:

A lot of people seem to think MA is karate. I have trained in weapon skills for most of my life. I can adapt  these to using a taser, baton,  even a tooth pick. We practice thrusts at the hole in a coin hanging on a string. We use the the word 'ma ai'. The time/distance/interval between two opponent. I don't rely on hand to hand/weapon skills I carry a taser all the time. Baton is fine but you cant carry it. I find a crowbar better, even a lump hammer.

Are you talking about a taser with the two metal electrodes sticking out that you press against an advisory? 

Kabisay-an gid
3 hours ago, Travis said:

Are you talking about a taser with the two metal electrodes sticking out that you press against an advisory? 

What you're describing is a stun gun. A taser shoots out two long wires. 

Travis
9 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

What you're describing is a stun gun. A taser shoots out two long wires. 

Correct but a lot of people miss describe the two. 

Kabisay-an gid
12 hours ago, fred42 said:

We have the Karate legend Mike stone living and still training just up the road from us here in Bohol!!

b45fdb90468b83c4925b860e1d6fcc5c.jpg

Ask Mike about the moves he put on Priscilla Presley back in the day! Also ask him about the bullet hole in Elvis Presley's TV at Graceland!

:ROFLMAO:  :rofl:

Goetz1965

People by Pepperspray to defend - but never used it before and then when they need it they accidentially spray against the wind....
People by nice looking knifes to defend themselves but then only know how to chop potatoes at home .... 

If you want to defend yourself you MUST know your "weapon" otherwise you loose

• Thanks 1
lamoe
10 hours ago, Headshot said:

Why do people put themselves in situations where these kinds of defensive measures become necessary? In all of the time I have been in the Philippines (starting in 1968), I have never felt the need to take defensive measures. I do defend my home, but I simply don't go places where I would have to take defensive measures with me to feel safe.

It's depends on how one chooses to live - that wasn't and this isn't sarcastic - if I want to go to Seaside for a movie /  dinner and take a jeepny back after walking a  1/2 Km through the Colon area I do.

Also might be an aura of confidence (not naive over confidence) projected knowing that if something does happen he / they will be surprised by the reaction - baton and spray  at the ready also helps.

Situational awareness is your best defense as you know.

10 hours ago, Travis said:

I like the pepper spray and baton idea.

I have a large bear spray for hiking here in Montana but not real practical for concealment. 

I will have to look into the baton and pepper spray when i get back to Cebu

The batons here, while decent are still cheaply made - plan on tweaking it to loosen action if needed and spraying to help (not totally) prevent rust on cap.

With a little more research I would have gotten the 31" online not the 26" from Ayala (sometimes size does matter)

The stand is closed now - was next to TGIF - 500 P - have seen at Country and E Malls for 1 and 1.2 K - maybe cheaper at one of the 3 or 4 shops left side ? walking to E-Mall on Leon Kilat st from Colon - have her buy it

Again "MACE" brand 800 P at ACE  - got her the pink one

10 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

^ Common misconception.

The teeth are an extra defensive feature that are not on all models. All that is needed to deliver the shock through clothing is two metal points that don't even point outward - the model below would be virtually worthless for stabbing:

SG-M16000FBKA.jpg

Going for the eyes is NOT overkill, unless you kept stabbing a perp even after he ceased the attack. 

I agree -

The point just adds to it's capabilities

The ad I read mentioned that's the reason for the points to make sure of skin contact

Silly as it sounds, had a Pleather (fake leather) jacket that had a rubberized lining. Damn thing was like wearing a plastic bag.

Edited by lamoe
Travis
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

The batons here, while decent are still cheaply made - plan on tweaking it to loosen action if needed and spraying to help (not totally) prevent rust on cap.

With a little more research I would have gotten the 31" online not the 26" from Ayala (sometimes size does matter)

The stand is closed now - was next to TGIF - 500 P - have seen at Country and E Malls for 1 and 1.2 K - maybe cheaper at one of the 3 or 4 shops left side ? walking to E-Mall on Leon Kilat st from Colon - have her buy it

I am thinking about concealed carry though, so some of these collapsible batons are long when collapsed. I imagine t wold be hard to keep in a pocket.