• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cookie47

• lamoe

• Travis

• Jack Rat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a black belt and have never encountered a problem. Come to think of it I have brown belt too. I use to have a maroon belt but I lost it somewhere. If anyone found a strange maroon belt unde

But what if someone's belt or pants are too tight and they can't readily reach into their sock...

Riding a Jeepney or walking in Colon is no rieskier than doing such things anywhere else in the world. 98% of mankind is nice and friendly - the 2% stupids you meet everywhere.

Posted Images

Travis

Unfortunately most of that stuff doesn't hold up in the real world. 

Looks cool though

• Like 2
lamoe
3 hours ago, Travis said:

It really does

As long as you can get the bad guys to attack one at a time. Oh, and no knives, guns, chains,  clubs.

• Like 1
Travis
1 minute ago, lamoe said:

It really does

As long as you can get the bad guys to attack one at a time. Oh, and no knives, guns, chains,  clubs.

Good morning Lamoe.

I have been around and trained in TMA's (traditional martial arts) and if you practice it correctly then yes it works good.  You throw a punch where the other guy wants you to and he blocks, perrys or moves out of the way. It looks pretty and works in the gym.  Or guy one throws a punch and guy number two grabs it and bends the wrist. incapacitating guy number one. 

In real life (I have also been around a bit of this) people dont move the way you want them to.  People dont act like they do in a dojo when they are on the street.

I can faint with a jab and throw a right cross hitting a TMA guy and bring my arm back before he has time to block me. There have been many a black belt who got whooped by a street fighter.

Now Mixed Martial Arts or kick boxing(some first hand experience here as well)  these work good on the street.

lamoe
3 hours ago, Travis said:

Good morning Lamoe.

I have been around and trained in TMA's (traditional martial arts) and if you practice it correctly then yes it works good.  You throw a punch where the other guy wants you to and he blocks, perrys or moves out of the way. It looks pretty and works in the gym.  Or guy one throws a punch and guy number two grabs it and bends the wrist. incapacitating guy number one. 

In real life (I have also been around a bit of this) people dont move the way you want them to.  People dont act like they do in a dojo when they are on the street.

I can faint with a jab and throw a right cross hitting a TMA guy and bring my arm back before he has time to block me. There have been many a black belt who got whooped by a street fighter.

Now Mixed Martial Arts or kick boxing(some first hand experience here as well)  these work good on the street.

I agree - my point was they always show 4 to 10 guys attacking one at a time  - BS

Not trying to be as a$$ or argue but being a rather small person AND very cautious  - I always carry  a 2/3 M collapsible baton (found a Man Bag with side holster for it) along with  a 5 M range pepper spray. At if we're walking at night - see post about getting back from Seaside - I do have both out and ready

Me and Big John

"If the left one don't get ya - then the right one will"

If I know you're coming :unsure:

We practiced  the time honored technique  called "Dog Pile"

dogpile4.gif

Edited by lamoe
Goetz1965

I do Karate and Arnis myself 

Holding up multiple attackers is only a matter of how much you trained - because the training you do is only to build up your reflexes. DONT think that you DO martial arts in a fight - you wont have the time to think about what move to do !
What you do is teaching your body the moves over and over again - and in case of a fight you have the ready programmed as reflexes - YOU dont think at all - your subconsciousness does the fighting !
All YOU need is enough stamina to last for a couple of minutes in a fight.

Same for Arnis - even I still only know basic moves I now lost being afraid of someone attacking me with a knife - because I know how attackers will usually attack and I know how to defend against those moves in case I ever happen to get attacked.

But I also can carry my Arnis stick anywhere - even in malls - its just a rattan stick - not a weapon.

But I know how to use - and if someone attacks me and sees that I KNOW how to use it - 90% of all attackers will be smart enough to leave it that way - the 10% bugos then I have to fight - but Im prepared for that - are they ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Travis
12 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

I do Karate and Arnis myself 

Holding up multiple attackers is only a matter of how much you trained - because the training you do is only to build up your reflexes. DONT think that you DO martial arts in a fight - you wont have the time to think about what move to do !
What you do is teaching your body the moves over and over again - and in case of a fight you have the ready programmed as reflexes - YOU dont think at all - your subconsciousness does the fighting !
All YOU need is enough stamina to last for a couple of minutes in a fight.

Same for Arnis - even I still only know basic moves I now lost being afraid of someone attacking me with a knife - because I know how attackers will usually attack and I know how to defend against those moves in case I ever happen to get attacked.

But I also can carry my Arnis stick anywhere - even in malls - its just a rattan stick - not a weapon.

But I know how to use - and if someone attacks me and sees that I KNOW how to use it - 90% of all attackers will be smart enough to leave it that way - the 10% bugos then I have to fight - but Im prepared for that - are they ?

Do you carry the stick in the case? Or how do you carry it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
jtmwatchbiz
30 minutes ago, Travis said:

Do you carry the stick in the case? Or how do you carry it.

perhaps he hides it where the sun don't shine?  :biggrin_01:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
lamoe
2 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

perhaps he hides it where the sun don't shine?  :biggrin_01:

For me it's more like -"Are you really that happy to see me?"

Maybe 50% of the time mall guards will point  at the baton  - I just say "baton"

Only once has a guard wanted to confiscate it (and not get it back?) - said

"I checked with police - it's OK"  I actually did at main PNP facility on Osmena BUT like many laws here it's a yes and no depends who you ask - also like in US  - some places yes  - some no.

• Like 1
Travis

I would take a knife  over a rattan stick ten out of ten times.. 

hyaku
7 hours ago, Travis said:

Looks cool though

That not why we do MA. What you state is just some Western BS idea to make money. Its a Martial ART.

• Thanks 1
Travis
2 minutes ago, hyaku said:

That not why we do MA. What you state is just some Western BS idea to make money. Its a Martial ART.

So you dont do martial arts for self defense? 

• Like 1