Sign in to follow this  
HTM

So you got arrested, then..

oztony
25 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Considering how many continually leave their passport with an agent to do their visas for them and keep it in their safe, the jails would  be full if that were true.  Where is that info coming from?

EDIT:  I never carry my passport but my ACR Tourist card would provide all the same info.  I have never thought that showing that to police would be a problem.  It may actually be a good idea to leave my actual passport with an agent and then they cannot take it from me.

It may have been either ACR or if you do not have acr ...passport , cannot remember where I read it , something about a requirement of a valid id while in country.

HTM
2 hours ago, oztony said:

cannot remember where I read it , something about a requirement of a valid id while in country.

I think its the City ordinances some places, but not the Law. You need your Passport to stay here, but no need to carry it.

• Like 1

HTM

They don't need to have your name for filing a case, they only need you.

Rules of Court - Criminal Procedure

Name of the accused. — The complaint or information must state the name and surname of the accused or any appellation or nickname by which he has been or is known. If his name cannot be ascertained, he must be described under a fictitious name with a statement that his true name is unknown.
If the true name of the accused is thereafter disclosed by him or appears in some other manner to the court, such true name shall be inserted in the complaint or information and record.

A_Simple_Man
14 minutes ago, HTM said:

They don't need to have your name for filing a case, they only need you.

What would happen if you gave them a nickname like "Yes, my name is OzTony"  Can you be charged for giving a name that is not on your passport?  Many people have nicknames.

• Haha 1

lamoe
30 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

What would happen if you gave them a nickname like "Yes, my name is OzTony"  Can you be charged for giving a name that is not on your passport?  Many people have nicknames.

AH is not acceptable :biggrin_01:

Obstruction of justice for giving a false name  that can not be verified for prior or outstanding warrants, eligibility to be in country, etc?

HTM

Most NEEEED to talk to the Police when they detained, lots of them getting into bigger problem.
Giving new info that the police can use, or additional crimes in the case. 

One (Pinoy) talk him into 20 years, the case was in the start only a misunderstanding about he kidnapping a girl, easy solve. No problem at all
But he: "No I did not kidnap her, we were together as BF/GF for a week"  and she was a minor. hehe

Jim Sibbick
17 hours ago, oztony said:

I stand to be corrected on this ...but I was under the belief that Foreigners were required to have their passport or a copy of on their person...which would soon take care of the who are you question...

I am not aware of any need to carry a passport. But any foreigner in the Philippines for more than 59 days is required to have an ACR-I card. Once you have that, it is to be carried on you at all times. And for the person in the Philippines less than 59 days, they are likely to be a tourist and very likely will be carrying their passport any way.

Kabisay-an gid
24 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

But any foreigner in the Philippines for more than 59 days is required to have an ACR-I card.

Including those foreigners in the Philippines via Balikbayan Privilege?

Dafey
16 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

No need for ACR card with BB privilege.

For US Passports there is an option when you renew to get a Passport card, at an extra cost, that gives all the info of Passport except visas in the form a of a DL. This is easy to carry around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kabisay-an gid
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

No need for ACR card with BB privilege.

I already knew that, thanks bro. And I'm pretty sure Sibby knows better. So I was getting ready to ask him why he said ANY foreigner staying more than 59 days is required to have an ACR, when quite a few of us on these forums know that's not correct regarding foreigners here via Balikbayan Privilege.

lamoe
11 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I already knew that, thanks bro. And I'm pretty sure Sibby knows better. So I was getting ready to ask him why he said ANY foreigner staying more than 59 days is required to have an ACR, when quite a few of us on these forums know that's not correct regarding foreigners here via Balikbayan Privilege.

Not smarmy or sarcastic - maybe dosen't consider himself or those who do have BB to be foreigners anymore?:rose:

Jim Sibbick
2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Thankyou for reminding me.

No ACR-I card required for Balikbayans

• Like 1

Kabisay-an gid
5 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

Thankyou for reminding me.

No ACR-I card required for Balikbayans

:thumbsup:

I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, and certainly wasn't questioning your general Philippines knowledge, which some of us here at LinC know to be extensive. Just wanted any newbies and less knowledgeable members reading the thread to have the correct info.

Peace out.

• Like 2

savarity

Some of these examples given about times when talking to the police worked out, are borderline civil matters, not serious crimes.

Not talking to the police is classic lawyer advice, fundamental defense attorney advice... really it can't be overstated, it's excellent advice... in first world nations, or in regard to very serious crimes where the police are investigating you, and other parties aren't really present.

In a third world nation, and especially in a situation where the police are acting more like mediators than investigators, paying a few thousand pesos to smooth things over, often works better.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

HTM
On 9.5.2018 at 6:03 AM, Jim Sibbick said:

Once you have that, it is to be carried on you at all times.

I never read that that's a part of the national law.