HTM

So you got arrested, then..

A_Simple_Man
11 hours ago, HTM said:

Default Reply:
"It will be up to my lawyer to answer"
If they ask who your lawyer is:
"It will be up to the case you file at the prosecutor"

If you happen to have know of a well respected local lawyer, who you have had other dealing with, is there any harm in replying:

"I will refer this to my attorney before commenting"

If they ask who my attorney is:

"I will ask Atty XYZ who he recommends for these circumstances, can you please give me a written statement of what you need from me so I can refer it to my attorney"?

Next, as the topic says "you got arrested", what is likely to happen to you while waiting to hear from the attorney?  Lawyers are notorious for taking a long time to get back to you unless you are a Big Client.  Does anyone recommend a 24/7 legal office that you can call on your cell phone from the police station?

In many cases we foreigners may be guilty of breaking some law we don't really understand or maybe we are guilty in a mild way and the police are trying to make it look like its a big deal.  There are also cases where we "look" guilty but are doing nothing wrong (as in dating a 20 year old who only looks 17.  You may be d*mn sure she is 20 but the local gossip may have got the police involved.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Flakes

I was in Colon crossed a street all of a sudden several uniformed people blowing their whistles and pointing at me so I walked back asking what the problem was apparently the light wasn’t green yet.

No arrest been made?..

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

HTM
15 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

There are also cases where we "look" guilty but are doing nothing wrong (as in dating a 20 year old who only looks 17.  You may be d*mn sure she is 20 but the local gossip may have got the police involved.)

Thet not a big problem, if the girl realy 20.
I had a case in 2016 when a girl clame she was only 16 to the policee in the blotter, the forigner belive she was 20.
The famely and here posponed the case, they clearly wanted money for not file a case.

Short sorry,  i got evidence that the girl realy was 19, almost 20. and already  had a kid when she was 16 hehe.
No case!
But If he and the Police like the girl and the famely cud get bigg problems.

Woolf

As far as I remember the police can hold you for up to 72 hours before they have to present a case to a prosecutor or let you go

weekend hours may not count

If you sign that preliminary investigation waiver they can hold you for ??????

• Thanks 1

jtmwatchbiz
2 hours ago, Flakes said:

all of a sudden several uniformed people blowing their whistles and pointing at me

yes i know what it's like.  happens every time i walk by a sanitarium.  :biggrin_01:

mental.png

• Haha 3

lamoe
2 hours ago, Flakes said:

I was in Colon crossed a street all of a sudden several uniformed people blowing their whistles and pointing at me so I walked back asking what the problem was apparently the light wasn’t green yet.

No arrest been made?..

At some intersections crossing at the corner even with the light is a good way of getting run down by those making a turn (Osemna Extension / Escario - either street - either side - although onto Osmena Ext in front of Lex is the worst.)

• Like 1

Flakes
27 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

yes i know what it's like.  happens every time i walk by a sanitarium.  :biggrin_01:

mental.png

Luckily I moonwalked my way out of there?.

• Haha 1

HTM
3 hours ago, Woolf said:

As far as I remember the police can hold you for up to 72 hours before they have to present a case to a prosecutor or let you go

weekend hours may not count

If you sign that preliminary investigation waiver they can hold you for ??????

Depending on if they have arrested warrant and the case. If you're arrested without a warrant, you can only be detained for 12, 18, 36 hours:
12 hours, for light offenses, which are punishable by light penalties. 18 hours, for less grave offenses, punishable by correctional penalties. 36 hours, for grave offenses, punishable by capital penalties

The 12, 18, 36 will not be applicable to cases involving human security act because the applicable period of time will be 72 hours and in juvenile justice and welfare act instead of 12, 18, 36 the applicable period will be eight hours.

Yes weekend hours and non-working holidays doesn't count

Edited by HTM

Jim Sibbick

For my only experience with police being called, I am sure not giving my name would have meant being carted off to to the police station. By answering questions the matter was resolved on the spot. So I don't agree with not giving your name.  

This is what happened.

I was staying at the Cebu Century Hotel which at the time had a night club on the 5th floor. I got in the lift to go to my room on the 4th floor at the same time as a Filipino. He lit up a smoke in the lift. I pointed out the no smoking sign to the Filipino. He was pleasant enough about it and put the smoke out. But when I got out on the fourth floor, he yelled out obscenities at me as I exited the lift.

I ran up the stairs and met him as he exited the lift on the fifth floor. There was a bit of push and shove then the guard on the door at the night club got involved and started waiving a gun in my face.

The police were called. The guard gave his side of the story and I gave my side of the story, the owner of the night club gave her side of the story and the manager on duty in the lobby gave his side of the story. While we were doing this, I noticed the Filipino from the lift sneaking out.

In the end, the police said can't you just be friends and shake hands. The guard and I shook hands. The police offered me a lift home. When i said I was home, they left. 

I was a very good customer of the fifth floor night club, often having snacks and drinks with the owner after closing time. I never saw the guard again.

• Like 1

oztony

I would've just recommended walking away from it .... he could've pulled a knife , gun or anything ...the old sticks and stones story...

Charging up the stairs to confront him was reckless in my opinion ....sometimes these guys like to get their vengeance later .......

• Like 4

Jim Sibbick
50 minutes ago, oztony said:

I would've just recommended walking away from it .... he could've pulled a knife , gun or anything ...the old sticks and stones story...

Charging up the stairs to confront him was reckless in my opinion ....sometimes these guys like to get their vengeance later .......

I wouldn't do it now.

But my story was not about my stupidity. It was about how it was dealt with by the police.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

lopburi3
38 minutes ago, Jim Sibbick said:

I wouldn't do it now.

But my story was not about my stupidity. It was about how it was dealt with by the police.

And fully agree that providing name/ID is the proper thing to do unless you are wanting to provide your hard earned money to a lawyer.  Now if I had just shot dead a judge perhaps my advise/action might be total silence.  :huh:

oztony

I stand to be corrected on this ...but I was under the belief that Foreigners were required to have their passport or a copy of on their person...which would soon take care of the who are you question...

• Thanks 1

hyaku
On 5/7/2018 at 7:30 AM, Dafey said:

Great advice, yes. Best advice...don't get arrested!

But here they have a little trick they play. All papers are sent by Philippine post. Unlikely you will get that for a week or more. Meanwhile an arrest warrant is issued because you didn't respond to the papers that were sent assuming you are in hiding or took flight.

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man
3 hours ago, oztony said:

I was under the belief that Foreigners were required to have their passport or a copy of on their person

Considering how many continually leave their passport with an agent to do their visas for them and keep it in their safe, the jails would  be full if that were true.  Where is that info coming from?

EDIT:  I never carry my passport but my ACR Tourist card would provide all the same info.  I have never thought that showing that to police would be a problem.  It may actually be a good idea to leave my actual passport with an agent and then they cannot take it from me.

Edited by A_Simple_Man