hyaku
On 5/4/2018 at 11:36 PM, Kabisay-an gid said:

Nobody in this thread stated or suggested that NO cash be kept in the house. I merely advised against keeping a LARGE amount of cash on hand. Desperate individuals who didn't properly prepare for a typhoon, may very well resort to burglaries and home invasion robberies afterwards.

Foreigners are assumed by many Filipinos to be "rich", making them a prime target for desperate individuals who don't have any reservations about stealing their money and anything else.

I did draw a large amount of cash. Good job I did. We were away for four months here with services down. did not come back until phones were restored and we had electric. If I had no cash in the house I guess some would still think I have a lot. I know there is always a risk of being robbed but if it were that great? I would not live here. I have had forty years of typhoons to deal with.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dafey

• RR3

• Kabisay-an gid

• hyaku

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Five  things off the top of my head: 1.  Get a generator for fans, power supply and refrigerator. 2.  Get water cans, know a separate source of water supply, our have your own well. 3. 

You all missed the most important supply.   RED HORSE.       You have water carbs and protein all in one bottle.      

1. Make sure you have a place to properly store the generator fuel. 2. In addition to water cans, keep several cases of bottled water on hand at all times.  3. If you don't have a wall aroun

hyaku
23 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Not true at BPI, which is one of the main reasons why the asawa and myself bank there. If I had to relocate, I would definitely choose an area with a reasonably close BPI branch.

Where I live we cant "choose" banks. Part of my income is from business cheques. I had cheques to encash and could not do it in main branch Cebu, CDO or Dumaguete. ATM works anywhere but they cut off all connections to a bank in a disaster area until communications are reconnected. That means not cashing cheques without verification. It would be stupid if they didn't do that.

Can you get a cheque from one bank and just go to another and cash it on the spot?

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Live in a safe area. Typhoons  mostly follow same paths aka typhoon highways. West side of Cebu island is best, no biggies ?

Travis

You all missed the most important supply.

RED HORSE.  

You have water carbs and protein all in one bottle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1. Drinking water (80 liter)

2. Cigarets (40 pac MINIMUM)

3. Generator

4. Coffee (enuf for 30 liter)

5. Some canned goods

And I renting my hous, so I give a F...

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
1 hour ago, RR3 said:

Live in a safe area. Typhoons  mostly follow same paths aka typhoon highways. West side of Cebu island is best, no biggies ?

While that is mostly true it is also a generalization. Tropical cyclones, (Typhoons and Hurricanes) form along the Tropical convergence line and build over warm water in a Westerly direction. If there are other low and high pressure zones, that are large enough, marching eastward, they could affect the route that the storm takes. But...there are no guaranties. there was recently a storm that passed by the Viscyans and built strength in the sea west of them to wreak havoc on Palawan. 

The bottom line is, they can be unpredictable so prepare no and survive later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ten years on and we only get some rain and little stronger winds whatever typhoon hits PI

Knock the wood ?

Goetz1965

Become philippino and just live from day to day without worries

• Like 1
Headshot
1 hour ago, RR3 said:

Ten years on and we only get some rain and little stronger winds whatever typhoon hits PI

Knock the wood ?

Ten years isn't a large enough sample size when it comes to cyclonic storms. They are generally on a 60 year cycle, but that can vary as well. In 1993, Cebu City suffered a direct hit by a class 4 typhoon that also impacted the west side of the island. In 2013, Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan), which was the strongest class 5 typhoon ever recorded,  totally destroyed Hagnaya and Bantayan Island on the west side of Cebu.

There are no "typhoon safe" areas in the Philippines. Over time, everyplace will get hit. It is just a matter of whether or not you are lucky enough to NOT be there when they do get hit. While some areas get hit more frequently, typhoons can, and do, vary from their most common paths, and can hit anyplace in the western Pacific.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Headshot said:

Ten years isn't a large enough sample size when it comes to cyclonic storms. They are generally on a 60 year cycle, but that can vary as well. In 1993, Cebu City suffered a direct hit by a class 4 typhoon that also impacted the west side of the island. In 2013, Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan), which was the strongest class 5 typhoon ever recorded,  totally destroyed Hagnaya and Bantayan Island on the west side of Cebu.

There are no "typhoon safe" areas in the Philippines. Over time, everyplace will get hit. It is just a matter of whether or not you are lucky enough to NOT be there when they do get hit. While some areas get hit more frequently, typhoons can, and do, vary from their most common paths, and can hit anyplace in the western Pacific.

Cebu city on the east side.

I remember Yolanda, we only got some rain and little stronger winds ?

• Administrator
Dafey

So...the topic is Typhoon safety plans. Let's stick to the that info please. The reason the thread was started in the first place was that we have a diverse community in this forum and many Expat Members who have never lived in the tropics before. This thread could save their/your life if the time comes and you need to know.

I have 5 decades of studying tropic cyclones and can absolutely guaranty that the only definite in a Typhoon is it's unpredictability. 

The bigger issue is there are some who will become complacent because they haven't seen devastation from a typhoon recently. Good luck to those with their head in the sand...I choose to prepare.

• Thanks 1
Headshot

Agreed. People need to understand that typhoons can hit anyplace in the Philippines. Living on one side of an island or another will not save you if a typhoon decides to come your way (and it is likely that there isn't a square meter of ground in the Philippines that has never been hit by a typhoon).

You either prepare yourself and your family to be ready for typhoons, or you suffer the consequences when what you thought couldn't happen ... DOES.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Dafey said:

So...the topic is Typhoon safety plans. Let's stick to the that info please. The reason the thread was started in the first place was that we have a diverse community in this forum and many Expat Members who have never lived in the tropics before. This thread could save their/your life if the time comes and you need to know.

I have 5 decades of studying tropic cyclones and can absolutely guaranty that the only definite in a Typhoon is it's unpredictability. 

The bigger issue is there are some who will become complacent because they haven't seen devastation from a typhoon recently. Good luck to those with their head in the sand...I choose to prepare.

I appreciate deeply Your concern on typhoon safety.

On the other hand I also respect mother nature. One reason I choose PI was that here nature showing it's power over homo sapiens sapiens, king of the planet, who comes short in front of Gaia; we cannot stop typhoons, earth quakes, volcanoes, tsunamis whatever our high technology. Better to enjoy the show. Bring it on.

Typhoon highway is named of a reason. I wouldn't settle in that highway.

• Like 1