Sign in to follow this  
Enuff

Carbon Market shopping 4/28 1pm

Enuff

I ventured down to Carbon Market alone, against wishes of Wella.

Easy to find and easy to shop. 75% have prices marked making it difficult to gouge foreigners. It's very dirty, very cluttered and a 100 vendors with the same products.

I walked around searching for a stall that had most of what I wanted, good quality and price.

Potatoes (medium white) p53 kg or $0.47 lb

Carrots (big Filipino) p40 kg or $0.35 lb

White Onions (large) p60 kg or $0.53 lb

Cabbage (regular) p20 kg or $0.18 lb

Cucumbers (good sized) p15 kg or $0.13 lb

Peppers (red & green) p70 kg or $0.62 lb

At night is when all the vendors roll up on the street, prices fluctuate depending on skin color and negotiating skills. Daytime is much better for foreigners.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Oz Jon

Pretty good looking prices!

Can you get those products at supermarkets too?

Presumably market prices are better than supermarket prices? and fresher produce too?

Any way , more interesting visiting a market and your money goes to a good cause.

Edited by Oz Jon
extra thought
  • Like 1

Enuff
Pretty good looking prices!

Can you get those products at supermarkets too?

Presumably market prices are better than supermarket prices? and fresher produce too?

Any way , more interesting visiting a market and your money goes to a good cause.

Supermarket prices are typically 75% + higher.

I don't usually look at prices because I know we will get ours at the market but I usually notice the potatoes for p90 kg, that's pretty standard. Using that as a base point I probably saved p300 yesterday. Jeepney in, taxi out. Probably a wash for me but when wife goes on Sunday evenings she will get about 60 to 70 kgs total (will last 9 of us 2 weeks).

I didn't dick around with fruit but she buys watermelon p16 kg, loose seedless grapes p140 kg, small oranges 20 for p100, apples 11 for p100, Korean pears 5 for p100 Etc etc.

The grapes are by far the greatest deal. In supermarket they are easily p300 + kg, at market usually p200 but we are not rich so we buy the loose. She has gotten 8kg once, bring them home, rinse off and freeze. They don't last long!

I only went yesterday as a test plus I had a 2 lb Chuck roast in the freezer I been dying for. Cut up 2kg potatoes, 1 kg carrots, 1 kg onions, 1/4 kg peppers this morning and loaded into the slow cooker with some onion soup mix and cream of celery soup.

Will be amazing in 8 hours.

I also sliced 1kg white onions and 1kg cucumbers and added 1 cup sugar, 2 cup white vinegar and 1 cup water for cucumber salad.

I expect no leftovers as usual.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

jtmwatchbiz
26 minutes ago, Enuff said:

I only went yesterday as a test plus I had a 2 lb Chuck roast in the freezer I been dying for. Cut up 2kg potatoes, 1 kg carrots, 1 kg onions, 1/4 kg peppers this morning and loaded into the slow cooker with some onion soup mix and cream of celery soup.

oh man now you're talking.  love it.

carbon market is a blast no?   lively and good deals.   whenever my wife plans a big feed she goes there to stock up as it's a big savings over the supermarkets.  gotta love that place!  next time i'll go with you!  

Woolf

Meeting there for coffee  ????

• Like 2

Oz Jon

I used to go there when I was last in Cebu (10-20 years ago) even if there was nothing I needed to buy right then.  I always finished up buying something though - :D.

Just for the atmosphere and the experience.

Fascinating place.

• Like 2

Enuff
Meeting there for coffee  ????
Just let me know where?

• Like 1

Woolf
1 minute ago, Enuff said:

Just let me know where?

I am not in PH until middle october

• Like 2

Alfred E. Neuman

Look for a white dude with a portable chair and umbrella sitting by the roadside.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Flakes
34 minutes ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Look for a white dude with a portable chair and umbrella sitting by the roadside.

Exactly He has the best merchandise!

Edited by Flakes
  • Like 2

jtmwatchbiz
3 hours ago, Woolf said:

I am not in PH until middle october

good that will give you plenty of time to save up so you can buy us coffee next time.   you know the usual place to find us.   :biggrin_01:

• Like 2

Flakes
4 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

good that will give you plenty of time to save up so you can buy us coffee next time.   you know the usual place to find us.   :biggrin_01:

Are u with that gang of 5-9 elderly looking foreigners frequently occupying chairs at the Robinson Fuente food court?

Travis
15 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

Yes!!!    Free coffee, I am in!!!

Plus that gal was cute but painfully shy.

• Like 3

Soarking
20 hours ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Is that the same white dude that stuffs a sausage in his pants to impress the girls, and his knee high socks match the umbrella?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

jtmwatchbiz
14 hours ago, Flakes said:

Are u with that gang of 5-9 elderly looking foreigners frequently occupying chairs at the Robinson Fuente food court?

umm...no.