St Moritz Resto Cebu Great Steaks

samatm

Found a great STeak HOuse that has been around a long long time.. Why didn't i find it sooner.??   its great.     It has a  very cozy interior,  staff was pleasing and well trained, place was clean.   it felt very homey...and  the STEAKS were AWESOME.     Wife and I split a Ribeye  at 1500.o with mashed potatoes and gravey.   WE had it cooked to medium.  and it was cooked to perfection..    Tender and red on the inside.. honestly the best I have had in Cebu..plus the  circa 60s  steakhouse feel was nice.    portions ws large and we had plenty to eat.     I dont know anything about the St. Moritz..but i can imagine it has a rich history here in Cebu City.  Anyone else been here or visited it a long time ago? 

Place is near Elizabeth hotel ..just off of  Maxilom and Gorodo.    Google it and go for great steaks at great price. 

https://www.stmoritz-cebu.com/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
billy

I ate there with a few people a week ago all got steak it was also very nice the steak tasted great but it was on the fatty side. Overall all it was good. 

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz
4 hours ago, samatm said:

Anyone else been here or visited it a long time ago? 

oh hell yea!  back in the day before all the nite life joints in town not only was it a hotel and restaurant,  it was a raging popular disco complete with a big revolving stage.   if you head thru the restaurant and into the outside courtyard take a walk down to your left and check out the big bar-reception room as i believe the revolving stage and big suspended disco ball is still there.   being on it's own dead end road it's kind of a hideaway and secluded so nowadays the place is a regular meeting spot for bigshots to have lunch or dinner and hammer out deals.   has a very old-time feel to it and it's easy once inside to forget you are smack dab in uptown cebu city.   a must go to place for sure!     

• Like 4

I used to go there to have a drink or two in that big bar that used to be there. The hotels picture doesn't show it so maybe it's rebuilt.

Used to be plentyful of easy girls there :cool: , 20 years ago.

• Like 2
savarity

Thanks for the review. Will try it.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
Tradewindze

The St Moritz was one of the first places I stayed in Cebu-- it was recommended in a guide book. I remember waking up early, with the chickens squawking and clucking, and the disco was still open so I could hear both--kind of a surreal, welcome to Cebu moment. There was a large birdcage in the courtyard, as I recall. 

• Like 2

This was and still is one of my favorite steak house, so to speak. The Swiss used to meet there on the "Stammtisch" (round table).

I eat regularly there with friends before going out.

It was sold around 2 years ago  (now it is owned by Chinese). However the steaks got even better.

• Like 1

First stayed at St Moritz in 1986.  Huge rooms by many standards, the nice courtyard was good for a beer and of course the bar was very active.  The guy I was with on that first trip started dating one of the dancers and they eventually married in 1988.  Still together, they live in Vancouver - saw them in April this year.  The place used to be run by a German guy - Heinz I think his name was.  It was a totally laid back place, great location and the food was always reasonable though not always outstanding.  Went there three weeks ago to try the steak - it is certainly good.

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, PeteHK said:

The place used to be run by a German guy - Heinz

Swiss.

Busted Dick

As I understand it. the St Moritz was originally opened by an Aussie who is, unfortunately, no longer with us.  There was a thread about his demise a couple of years ago but I cannot provide a link because I cannot find a search facility (Opera browser).  In it's day it was a pretty good place to hang out in the evenings.  I have passed the end of that street many times and wondered if the St Moritz it was still in business so it's good to hear that it is; and that it's still a good place to go to.

• Like 2

Tried the steak there a few days ago, by coincidence they were having a promo. 1550p for a regular menu price of 2400p for a 450g US ribeye.

Excellent meat, sides were all great too. Desert, an apple pie, not so good, more like a cake with a few apples on top. Drinks were high priced compared to other places. The steak first came out raw, not even rare, but completely ice cold in the middle when I had ordered medium. I sat at the counter, but service was, well rather bad, slow. Took a long time to get anyone's attention, despite the place not being busy.

Overall though, really good food and an excellent steak. Despite some negatives I would go back, but would skip desert and drinks. Really enjoyed the atmosphere there. Place was a bit hard to get to, I walked from Ayala, and it's back on a dark muddy alley, was a bit flooded back there too, with no choice but to trod through the water to get in.

• Like 2
liquido
4 minutes ago, savarity said:

The steak first came out raw, not even rare, but completely ice cold in the middle when I had ordered medium.

Spending that kind of money for a steak I would think that a major f----P and would not return.....And then bad service...

On 12/13/2018 at 10:35 PM, savarity said:

Tried the steak there a few days ago, by coincidence they were having a promo. 1550p for a regular menu price of 2400p for a 450g US ribeye.

Excellent meat, sides were all great too. Desert, an apple pie, not so good, more like a cake with a few apples on top. Drinks were high priced compared to other places. The steak first came out raw, not even rare, but completely ice cold in the middle when I had ordered medium. I sat at the counter, but service was, well rather bad, slow. Took a long time to get anyone's attention, despite the place not being busy.

Overall though, really good food and an excellent steak. Despite some negatives I would go back, but would skip desert and drinks. Really enjoyed the atmosphere there. Place was a bit hard to get to, I walked from Ayala, and it's back on a dark muddy alley, was a bit flooded back there too, with no choice but to trod through the water to get in.

Thanks for your recent review.   I think you have the right attitude.   The quaintness of the place along with great steaks would outweigh the sub par performance ..  you are probably an experienced Philippine hand and understand the flow.    So when I was there the the palace was packed out...very busy and they had full staff and the service was great.. as were the steaks.      

• Like 1