Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

SunBay Beach Resort, Merida, Leyte

Recommended Posts

Dafey

IMG_6567.JPG.28cff073adb49676a6a5e7557eda6988.JPG

First off...this is not what we would consider a "resort". This is Filipino style beach for locals and we celebrated MIL's Bday. While this is specific to Merida it is typical of what you may find in the Province anywhere in the Philippines.

There are a ton of these type beach stops along the National Highway and Asawa and Mom picked this one for room and Karaoke. We brought all our own food and drink and rented the place for 1800 PHP. It was worth it but while swimming I did a little recon next door and found better beach areas. About 70-80 people eating drinking and swimming.

IMG_6616.JPG.82cf65bffeb12ae1dc751da98a045c83.JPG

Relatively sandy beach, (black sand...I'm going with volcanic rock as I didn't wake up with the Hershey squirts from swimming in sewage) and high tide brings the water right up to edge of the land so you step right into the water. No broken glass and crap that you usually find and shallow enough to stand 70-80 meters out. Brought the paddleboard and it was a big hit.

IMG_6678.JPG.4d56aee25fe58ec3e01be3e0c4376f4b.JPGIMG_6664.JPG.5ccee1ace5c10ce54a3c78feaedc158b.JPGIMG_6651.JPG.e79737d03d411ff3cf30c2cf200ea4a0.JPG

They had an excellent Karaoke machine with a lot of variety so everyone could find something to sing and plenty of huts with shade, though the entire property is shaded with big trees which kept it as cool as possible.

  IMG_6585.thumb.JPG.95a057940b5445ffa0c8b29e035de533.JPGIMG_6583.JPG.a0a021db2340e8a70e033c86572ce340.JPGIMG_6575.JPG.4cf767a04825a72a15b210d01bdd4991.JPGIMG_6592.thumb.JPG.bab2b8a1acc0e58e9804772b7dacc6ed.JPG

The usual feeding frenzy when the starting gun when off but the lady in pink top did an excellent job of cutting the lechon and plating it so you didn't end up with peeps digging for their favorite part and ruining the pig. There is also a grilling area with a water tap, in the shade for cooking.

the CRs and "changing" area was really bad. That's a lot coming from me! Also the fence at the edge of the water was bamboo that was decrepit and splintery so be very careful. The step down onto the beach was an old tire filled with rocks...again not very safe. However, once you make it to the water it is very good for swimming so all the kids spent most of the day at that.

I am going to look around next door for a better place next time but all in all this was a pretty good beach area and very doable for a party.

IMG_6569.JPG.aec7bc9b1d32fd4c42ace85ce9307718.JPG

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard K

I have come to like these kind of get-together's as much or more than an expensive "resort" trip...Having a bunch of kids around and some old folks with lots of eating an drinking is a good day.. Pass the tuba

Edited by Richard K
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
On 4/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, Dafey said:

 

First off...this is not what we would consider a "resort". This is Filipino style beach for locals and we celebrated MIL's Bday. While this is specific to Merida it is typical of what you may find in the Province anywhere in the Philippines.

There are a ton of these type beach stops along the National Highway and Asawa and Mom picked this one for room and Karaoke. We brought all our own food and drink and rented the place for 1800 PHP. It was worth it but while swimming I did a little recon next door and found better beach areas. About 70-80 people eating drinking and swimming.

 

Attended same near her family's compound

Everyone went crabbing (the very small ones in the mud) for soup meat - joined them

Became very well acquainted with the  "no see ems" maybe 100 on sides only - next time will wear top.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey
2 hours ago, Richard K said:

I have come to like these kind of get-together's as much or more than an expensive "resort" trip...Having a bunch of kids around and some old folks with lots of eating an drinking is a good day.. Pass the tuba

Agreed...informal relaxed and conducive to fun. I enjoy sponsoring these from time to time as a lot of the family has nothing so this is a real treat for them. Leftovers are packaged and distributed before the sun sets and everyone leave with a full stomach and some meals for the next day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard K
16 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Agreed...informal relaxed and conducive to fun. I enjoy sponsoring these from time to time as a lot of the family has nothing so this is a real treat for them. Leftovers are packaged and distributed before the sun sets and everyone leave with a full stomach and some meals for the next day.

yeah me too... it really is not all that costly for the amount of enjoyment... I remember paying hundreds of dollars in the states at nice restaurants..with a bunch of sour puss family...lol

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe

Tata's father raises pigs also chicken, geese, cows, and roosters  (lots and lots of roosters) -  doesn't butcher or cook pig himself - pays 300 P but but he tips 220 extra - pick up, B/C, deliver - Last time was 80 Kg live weight

Got him and wife matching baseball caps

 

 

 

 

20180425_132720[1].jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Sailfish Bay Fishing Charters

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..