Jump to content

Separation of husband and wife in the Philippines: The law of bigamy


Recommended Posts

Wrye83
6 hours ago, hyaku said:

The plain and simple fact that people do not get a legal separation or annulment here is they cant afford it. If they had divorce that would not be cheap either.

I don't blame people for not wanting to pay for legal separation. It means absolutely nothing. People might be more willing to pay for divorce since it actually gives them freedom from a bad relationship.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2018 at 11:11 PM, Wrye83 said:

I don't blame people for not wanting to pay for legal separation. It means absolutely nothing. People might be more willing to pay for divorce since it actually gives them freedom from a bad relationship.

The only  extra cost in an annulment from a divorce is paying a doctor to testi-lie that the cause for the differences was some sort of prexisitng condition

Link to post
Share on other sites
Jack Rat
On 4/24/2018 at 9:50 AM, RangerUp said:

:link:

 I believe there is talk about changing the law, to allow divorce?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
18 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

 I believe there is talk about changing the law, to allow divorce?

There has always been talk. The Church will never allow it to happen unless Duterte writes it into a new constitution (if he gets that far). A measure like that would NEVER make it through Congress.

Edited by Headshot
Link to post
Share on other sites
TequilaSunset

So basically marriage in the Philippines is truly an institution... You can't ever be free!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
badian
10 hours ago, Headshot said:

There has always been talk. The Church will never allow it to happen unless Duterte writes it into a new constitution (if he gets that far). A measure like that would NEVER make it through Congress.

http://time.com/5206607/philippines-divorce-legalization-bill-duterte/

March 20, 2018

The Philippines took its closest step yet to legalizing divorce this week, despite opposition from President Rodrigo Duterte and religious groups.

The country’s lower house of Congress voted Monday to pass a bill allowing couples to dissolve “irreparable marriages” and remarry, with 134 lawmakers voting for and 57 against, with two abstentions, Reuters reports. 

the divorce law did get through Congress, but it won't even get through the upper house so Duterte, who opposes the bill, will not get the chance to veto it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..