Sign in to follow this  
Raven

Cheapest way to Call/TxT from Mobile abroad

Raven

I have absolute no knowledge about Mobile phones... I have one... a Cherry, 10 years old for receiving TxT only (battery half dead so only few minutes talk)

Going abroad, Europe via HongKong, for a short visit... Question is, what is the cheapest way to Call/TxT to Philippines, while in HongKong (Airport only) and in Europe?

I have Globe and Smart Simcards.

Alfred E. Neuman

Buy a smartphone, use messenger or viber.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

WhatsApp is a good one too

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Woolf

None of the above or any other "VOIP" app will work without an internet connection

where ever located in europe you will have to get a sim and a "plan" for data in the country located 

Data roaming in europe can be expensive, so better to get a sim and data "plan" in country located

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Raven

So it seems getting a Smartphone and using a free wifi somewhere, is the easiest and cheapest...except for the expenses for the phone

• Like 2

Woolf
1 minute ago, Raven said:

So it seems getting a Smartphone and using a free wifi somewhere, is the easiest and cheapest...except for the expenses for the phone

that could be a way to go, one the "VOIP" apps and depend of free wifi or get a sim with data plan where located

the one you plan to call must have same "VOIP" app and data access 

• Thanks 1

Alfred E. Neuman
9 hours ago, Raven said:

images.jpg.05110a41dffa8288479f3a4148093fdc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Raven

How about Mactan Airport... Is there free WiFi there?

CommanderData

Since you're only trying to message while in Hong Kong Airport, as long as you have a smartphone and use one of the apps or messenger you can do it on the airport-wide free Wifi there without trouble, 

Then buy a local SIM at your destination in Europe for cheap LTE and data for continued messaging. Don't bother with straight SMS texts, it'll be too costly.

• Thanks 1

Woolf
7 minutes ago, Raven said:

How about Mactan Airport... Is there free WiFi there?

most phones in ph are dual sim, so you get a sim from globe or smart

as long as you are in ph that will work, or just bring your old and new phone

• Like 1

Wrye83

Google's Project Fi has unlimited international SMS. Call rates depend on if you are on WiFi or mobile and to what country you are calling to/from. You get a US number with the service. The standard call/text plan is $20/month. Data is $10/1GB until 6GB (after that it is free but throttled to 3G speeds) for all US and international data. Completely hassle free connection upon entering any country with compatible cellular frequencies (130ish? countries work with the service).

You will need a compatible phone for this plan. Google Pixel 2 does not require a SIM card (it is built in to the phone) Pixel 1 and other compatible phones - all top of the line ones - will require a special SIM card. Expect to drop some cash on one of these compatible phones.

• Thanks 2

Woolf

There is no need for LTE for ip txt  or WOIP any app 

the Philippines use gsm and same frequency bands as used in europe, so there should be no problem

if one can find free WIFI it is free or get a sim and data plan in the country,  I am pretty sure it is cheaper than 20 usd a month 

Wrye83
22 minutes ago, Woolf said:

There is no need for LTE for ip txt  or WOIP any app 

the Philippines use gsm and same frequency bands as used in europe, so there should be no problem

if one can find free WIFI it is free or get a sim and data plan in the country,  I am pretty sure it is cheaper than 20 usd a month 

Of course "free" WiFi is cheaper than $20/month. Buying a local SIM card, along with minutes and data will probably be more than $20, depending on the length of stay. 

The Project Fi is more for frequent international travelers that don't want to buy a SIM card for 10 different countries and don't want to rely on sparse free (extremely insecure and dangerous) WiFi connection. A constant and reliable internet connection while overseas can save you tons of time and money and also make your vacation much more enjoyable.

• Thanks 2

Woolf

here is one from Denmark

5 GB a month for about 10 usd, sim free, supports LTE, no lockin 

5 GB is ok for ip txt and "VOIP" 

and you think that google is not tracking you ?

cbb.png

Edited by Woolf

Kabisay-an gid
18 hours ago, Raven said:

I have absolute no knowledge about Mobile phones... I have one... a Cherry, 10 years old for receiving TxT only (battery half dead so only few minutes talk)

Going abroad, Europe via HongKong, for a short visit... Question is, what is the cheapest way to Call/TxT to Philippines, while in HongKong (Airport only) and in Europe?

I have Globe and Smart Simcards.

What country or countries in Europe will you be in?