divorce advice needed

• Administrator
Salty Dog

I lived in Florida and my divorce from a US Citizen was all done via email and snail mail. Snail mail was for documents that were required to be signed and returned notarized.

We never met our lawyer or appeared in court.

• Like 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davaoeno

• smokey

• SkyMan

• Salty Dog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lawyer up....and go back to the States and do it properly.

I did what Dav said and I was in the states, total cost via online filing in my state of residence $540 dollars. 

When i was going through my nasty divorce a wise man asked me, "do you know why divorce is so expensive? Because it is worth it!" Truer words have never been spoken 

smokey

you still should have a lawyer my x snuck on to me 35,000 credit card bills I never knew she had 

Jawny

One of the benefits of having a lawyer, or some other professional involved in the process is to assure the agreement is clearly defined.  Specifically, who gets what, or what is NOT part of the dissolution.  During the process, a listing of assets, or a specification there are no assets (such as land, homes, boats, cars etc) and how these are to be distributed.  

Crddit cards, savings and checking accounts should be specifically described as to ownership and responsibility. 

As well, if there is a retirement annuity, this should be specified to be sure any claim or entitlement is agreed to.  

If the parties are both in agreement, this process should be simple.  

My mother worked for a law firm where the divorcing individuals did NOT agree, but still managed to come to terms.  The law firm would arrange for property such as home furnishings to be loaded onto a rental van with both individuals on the rental contract.  The loaded rental van was taken to a parking lot, and the keys were transferred.  No need to shake hands or cross paths.

Good luck in the termination process.

• Like 1
Edwin

The only time you should consider not using a lawyer is when you haven't accumulated real property or any other forms of wealth. 

smokey

So if you have no property no kids your still on the hook for bills made by one or both car loans etc especially one has a higher income

SkyMan

Definitely depends on the state.  I did mine in Ohio.  As far as Ohio goes you can do a disillusionment yourself or hire an attorney.  I paid an attorney $1000.  The lawyer (again, in Ohio) can only represent one side.  She didn't care so he represented me.  Had she also gotten an attorney it would become a divorce.  We agreed to our split and road to court together.  I think she drove.  Judge asked a few questions and signed off.  Easy enough.  We probably could have done it ourselves but this was easier.  I don't know if there was an online option then, maybe now.

• Thanks 2
SkyMan

Sounds like you're both agreeable so I would go without a lawyer if you can figure out the forms.  You can always get a lawyer if things go south.  Not all divorces are big battles but hiring a lawyer makes that more likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
SkyMan

The only prick in the whole deal was the judge.  We both read all the paperwork and were honest about assets, and the division.  She got a house, I got a house, she got her cars, I got mine.  We were both military so she got her retirement and I got mine.  I agreed to pay her the amount of the cash out of the last refinance we did on her house minus a chunk for finishing the basement and I finished her basement, etc.  Then in the courtroom the judge starts going through my finances asking her if she wants half.  She had to say no several times.  A bit of a tense moment for me.  Probably the only reason we (I) needed a lawyer was to do the Quit Claim Deed paperwork for the houses.  Both have been sold since so I guess it worked.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3
death_by_cupcake

Is getting a divorce in the Philippines an option?  I thought divorce wasn't allowed here or was tough as nails to get?

shadow
2 hours ago, death_by_cupcake said:

Is getting a divorce in the Philippines an option?  I thought divorce wasn't allowed here or was tough as nails to get?

Not yet, but they are trying to make it into the 20th century.

• Administrator
Salty Dog
7 hours ago, death_by_cupcake said:

I think the OP meant a USA divorce, but should he files and do the paperwork while in the Philippines, or return to the USA to do it.

Davaoeno
22 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I think the OP meant a USA divorce, but should he files and do the paperwork while in the Philippines, or return to the USA to do it.

Either return to the US or do the paperwork through an online service and then file it in the state where she lives. With , as he says, her full cooperation.   If he doesnt want to return to the US she might have to be the one to actually sign and send in the docs for filing

smokey

well all you can do it hope she tells all when it comes to charge cards many women  feel its their god giving right to have a few cards the husband don't know about because its to look good for them...  after my divorce I discovered I owed nostrums, Macys. Ross and Vitoria secret and even sears over 19,000 dollars of course they came after me as she had no job   

billy
5 hours ago, smokey said:

well all you can do it hope she tells all when it comes to charge cards many women  feel its their god giving right to have a few cards the husband don't know about because its to look good for them...  after my divorce I discovered I owed nostrums, Macys. Ross and Vitoria secret and even sears over 19,000 dollars of course they came after me as she had no job   

That was for the privilege of her being your wife  ?

• Haha 1
smokey
21 hours ago, billy said:

That was for the privilege of her being your wife  ?

when I meet her in 1988 I had saved over 300,000 in the bank got married lasted 2 years a couple of months left with 120 dollars a 12 year old car and two kids.. 

• Sad 1