Sign in to follow this  
Mikal

Metro opens 900 sq. m supermarket in Ayala Center

Mikal

Small, pretty cramped, but it helps.

It's on the 'inside', pretty much directly across the hallway from the old supermarket entrance on the lower ground floor - not sure what the article is trying to say about the location. *shrug*

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/business/2018/04/13/metro-opens-900-sq-m-supermarket-ayala-center-598206

AFTER closing for three months due to the fire incident early this year, Metro Supermarket has found a temporary home in a 900-square-meter space inside Ayala Center Cebu.

Previously occupied by the Rustan’s Department Store, Metro Retail Stores Group assistant vice president Rose Jose yesterday said the temporary Metro Supermarket will house grocery items excluding fish. Ayala Center Cebu, in its Facebook page last Wednesday. announced that Metro Supermarket will open today at Level 1, across Loalde.

The post since generated 1,300 likes and 383 shares, with netizens expressing their excitement over the opening. Jose said the temporary supermarket is part of the company’s initiatives to slowly rebuild Metro’s presence in Ayala. It will complement the pop-up stores at the Metro Supermarket entrance and at the second floor of the mall near the activity center, which they mounted weeks after the fire hit the store in January. Jose said they target to reopen the Metro Supermarket within the year. When that happens, she said that the supermarket at the temporary location will be replaced with general merchandise. Pop-up stores at the second floor will only be until May 31.

Jose said they have no clear dates as to when the entire building of Metro Ayala will reopen but she said it has to be as soon as possible. Metro Ayala Department Store and Supermarket is one of Ayala Center Cebu’s anchor tenants. A fire hit the third floor of Metro Department Store Friday night of Jan. 5, paralyzing mall operations for 12 days. (KOC)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

musicman666

Anchor is the right word...it drags the whole mall down to its own level ....if you want cheap product look no further than all their satellite stores that are popping up all over the place and have the exact same inventory. 

rizla
18 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

Anchor is the right word...it drags the whole mall down to its own level ....if you want cheap product look no further than all their satellite stores that are popping up all over the place and have the exact same inventory. 

There is always Macy's in the US if that is to your liking, but I cannot see where your comment comes from, Metro Ayala was a nice store IMO, friendly staff who tried to be helpful, who worked long hours and had to put up with grumpy foreigners who expected a third world city to provide a Bloomingdales with first world service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

musicman666

Ayala should protect the interests of their other stores in the mall....the ones that sell the genuine items and not some Chinese substandard knockoffs at a fraction of the price ....I still can’t believe that it was all going on under Ayalas nose and they never said a word ...I was actually hoping that the fire would be the end of metro there until I discovered that they own that part of the mall...

• Like 1

rizla
3 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

Ayala should protect the interests of their other stores in the mall....the ones that sell the genuine items and not some Chinese substandard knockoffs at a fraction of the price ....I still can’t believe that it was all going on under Ayalas nose and they never said a word ...I was actually hoping that the fire would be the end of metro there until I discovered that they own that part of the mall...

I never realised people were forced to shop at a store they disliked, always thought people shop wherever they like.

• Haha 1

Mikal
8 hours ago, musicman666 said:

So you prefer Rustans?  *shrug*

The real point is that people should have choices, and at Ayala, without Metro, the choices are too limited.  Particularly for food shopping.  The old Metro supermarket was actually quite well stocked, very little that Rustans has that Metro did not have.  And at a better price.

It's no different than in the US and many other places.  You want to buy a pillowcase at Rustans or Nordstroms?  OK, but I might prefer to buy one at Metro or Target.

I do miss the Metro department store also.  All sorts of every day items, odds and ends that I either won't find elsewhere in Ayala or will have to pay more for at Rustans or a specialty shop.

• Thanks 2

RangerUp
2 hours ago, Mikal said:

So you prefer Rustans?  *shrug*

Who doesn't like Rustan's, at least you don't need to whip out your ID every time you use a credit card, unlike pre-burnt Metro.

rep1
14 hours ago, musicman666 said:

Ayala should protect the interests of their other stores in the mall....the ones that sell the genuine items and not some Chinese substandard knockoffs at a fraction of the price ....I still can’t believe that it was all going on under Ayalas nose and they never said a word

you mean first floor? I have always wondered...

Mikal
10 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Who doesn't like Rustan's, at least you don't need to whip out your ID every time you use a credit card, unlike pre-burnt Metro.

Ha!  OK, true.  And always good for a real blast of arctic air on a warm summer day.  Hummus, kalamata olives, hot dog buns that are the perfect size, so it does have it's good points.  

musicman666
7 hours ago, rep1 said:

you mean first floor? I have always wondered...

Not sure which floors ....i did some research and found a few pirated goods that could be identified by certain packaging flaws and construction anomalies ...but the low price in comparison to regular Ayala stores is a dead giveaway that caused me to look further...  The thing is once you realise this is going on with just a few items then you have to start to wonder about all the other products on sale there ...especially meds ..electrical goods and food which can be visually perfect. I know they are doing it to a certain degree and I wonder about the safety aspect since these goods would  not go through any formal lab tests to get certified for use by the public.  eBay is a good source as there are a lot of dodgy Chinese pirate products being pushed there with  talk on how to identify if it’s legitimate or not.  I think metro might  just buying from the cheapest source no questions asked and selling it at full price but it’s just a guess ...I wouldn’t put it past them.

• Like 2