Sign in to follow this  
hoz

Card eating ATM's

hoz

Has anyone actually experienced an ATM taking their card. Hairy dog stories are out there but has anyone actually lost their card to an ATM? 

tonny

Yes mine was eaten at HSBC on a Sunday ,the guard said no worry you can get back Monday,AM there when they open ,sorry sir we destroy the card already, WOW why wrong pin three times so i did wrong why not wait till i come in show you ID and get the card sorry Sir not us Visa put you on hot list .So bank send a new card 32 days in the mail, i get it will not work for three weeks who knows why probably still on the HOT list,finally 3 weeks later,it work so i still use it..Another American use his card at BPI machine put in wrong pin three times it eat his card at the Machine in the hallway in Ayala  Mall ,we go next day to a lady i know who call the people who open the machine ,she tell them don't destroy the card bring to me,he get card back next day it never work again he get new card when he home come back a week later it not work for a few weeks also he go back home it work find so go figure.Maybe best to be careful ,as i was not careful.I  new my number but forgot it was a USA card and keep putting in my PH 6 numbers not 4 numbers like the USA pin how Stupid oh well thank Goodness i had two cards and money in the bank here.So be careful guys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jawny

Yes, a card used by one of my children was retained by the machine.  However, this was for a local bank account, not a credit card.  

Entered pin incorrectly three times (as I recall the tale) and card retained.  It was recovered the next business day.

• Like 1

A_Simple_Man
1 hour ago, hoz said:

Has anyone actually experienced an ATM taking their card.

Yes.  In the middle of a transaction, after the machine told me to take my card and cash and receipt, it went down.  Not once but twice this happened to me.  Both times at a Metrobank machine.

The first time was late evening at a "stand alone" machine.  I was panicking because if I walked away then whoever was around when the machine came back online was going to get my card and cash.  That did not happen.  I waited about half an hour trying to figure out what to do and the machine suddenly came back on line, spit out my card, and the screen said "transaction timed out" so I got my card back and when I checked with my bank the next day there was no money taken from my account.

The second time was right at the Metrobank building.  One of those machines where you use the machine from outside the bank but it goes through the wall so they fill it from inside the bank.  Similar thing happened, machine said to take my card and cash and receipt.  It spit out my card and receipt but no cash.  The cash was taken from my account but not given out.  THAT was a hassle.  Metrobank said check with the bank issuing the card.  My bank said the money had definitely come out of my account so I had to get it back from Metrobank.  Back to Metrobank to fill out a form and they said they would send the money to my bank and I had to fill out a form at my bank to reclaim it from them.  Back to my bank and they said I could fill out the form (took a lot of pressure as they wanted me to "just wait a while") and by the time I filled out the form the money was back in my account.  Not sure how because once I've won the argument I shut up, good lesson in that.

So bottom line is:  Its a pain in the arse.  But I suffered no financial loss.

• Like 2

Woolf

You have to be careful and use the correct pin

if you type in the wrong pin code 3 times card will be retained

It is not only 3 times in a row, it could be  3 times all in all

at least that is how it is for some cards in Denmark

• Like 1

lopburi3
5 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Some cards in Denmark? - no way are they taking our American cards if we enter the code wrong the 3rd time in our life!  We are just not that well programmed.  :lol:

Edited by lopburi3

A_Simple_Man
4 minutes ago, Woolf said:

36 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

. . . the machine told me to take my card and cash and receipt . . .

So . .  you really think I put in an incorrect pin? :ROFLMAO:

In fairness to your reply, it may be that some ATMs eat cards where someone inputs the wrong pin 3 times.  I have never input a wrong pin so I would not know.  Have you?  I find it strange that anyone who uses their card regularly would do so.  And yet . .  well read my post.

trthebees
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

Exactly right...we've just been to the city and my wife couldn't quite get the pin number order...not used much. Tried 2 times at a BDO...same number she thought it was twice as maybe finger error. So we made another attempt with the next best probability of two digits reversed at the HSBC machine as it's her bank, and didn't want the problem of getting the card back from another bank, particularly a stand-alone machine not in bank premises.

It kept her card...so it is 3 times in all.!! Got the card back OK when they opened the machine in the morning...the nice people even phoned to confirm it was available.

Headshot

It happened to me at the ATM in front of the UG level BPI (before it got shut down). The machine malfunctioned. I immediately went inside the bank and reported it to the manager, and she went out ad put a sign on the machine. Unfortunately, BPI only has one ATM technician, and he was over on Mactan fixing another ATM at the time. I had to wait for three hours to get my card back. Then they asked me if I would like to try it again... :cool:

delancey

I watched it happen at the IT BPI ATM outside the bank entrance. Slot opened, take your cash, no money came out.

I’ve also personally had minutes delays (felt like a lifetime) between when the ATM was supposed to dispense cash and when the slot actually opened and dispensed it. 

In general, their is endless subject matter about things not keeping up with modern times here.

• Like 1

Dafey

Our phones all use fingerprint ID to unlock...surprised that ATMs haven't changed their technology to this or gone to a retinal scan. But...then my wife couldn't use my card!!! :o

Must be a spouse thing?

Soarking
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Our phones all use fingerprint ID to unlock...surprised that ATMs haven't changed their technology to this or gone to a retinal scan. But...then my wife couldn't use my card!!! :o

Must be a spouse thing?

You could always cut off her fingers or gouge out one of her ? eyes.

• Haha 2

Goetz1965

Metrobank and Metrobank card - just once because I first putted the money into the walled - in that time my card came out - the ATM waited but then "ate" it.
Thats a security function in case some dumb takes the money and leaves without the card...
Needed to go to the main branch then where all cards were stored for a month.

RangerUp
18 hours ago, Jawny said:

Yes, a card used by one of my children was retained by the machine.

Are we talking about  a 7 year old playing around or a 17 year old trying to take money without permission?

GBT62

I had a malfunctioning ATM recently - I put the right PIN in twice  - but it rejected it.  I knew of the general 3-strikes-it-eats-your-card rule so I gingerly tried at another ATM....... it worked fine.  I was worried I had been skimmed though - but no unusual transactions as yet.

Back home it's bird-eating-spiders to beware of following the recent floods

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/huge-spider-rescued-from-queensland-floodwaters/news-story/7c5e45f895ed68752e10ae5228faa0e5