What's proper wire for home wiring?

Headshot
18 hours ago, oztony said:

Don't use solid , use stranded , solid is garbage and no good for various reasons IMO...

Sorry. I disagree completely. Solid wire will give you better connections, and is less likely to break due to vibration over time (which all wires do when energized).

For Skyman, with 240v, there is no need to larger than 14 gauge unless you are putting in an electric oven or electric dryer. Then you may want to use 12 gauge for those circuits. Remember, when you double the voltage, you halve the amperage. Amperage determines wire size.

Probably the MOST important thing to remember is, if you go to the US, buy lots of wire nuts in various sizes. The taped twist connections they commonly use here are probably responsible for more house fires than any other cause because they loosen over time and become heat sources. A wire nut secures the connection, so it cannot come loose.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Woolf

• lopburi3

• Jawny

• oztony

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember for 220/240 for same effect current is half of what is needed for 110/120 so I think you americans may be will use to thick a wire, thinking you need the same as home in usa

I have managed to accumulate a wide range of electrical connectors from various sources here over the years.  Twist types, screw types, even the plastic ones described above in Thailand.  Those are th

1, the advantages of single solid core electric wire is: anti tensile strength, not easy to mold off, anti surge current strong, easy shaping, etc.. The disadvantages are: poor flexibility, poor resis

Posted Images

East Saxon
18 hours ago, Jawny said:

I am using 12 and 14 gage wire.  I don’t concern myself with the charts as the wire is suitable for my needs.  The mm size is stenciled right on the wire if it is of interest.  

The only thing I would add is if you are using heavier current appliances such as a water heater (4.5 amp for example) then you should use 10 gauge.

rizla
22 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Sorry. I disagree completely. Solid wire will give you better connections, and is less likely to break due to vibration over time (which all wires do when energized).

For Skyman, with 240v, there is no need to larger than 14 gauge unless you are putting in an electric oven or electric dryer. Then you may want to use 12 gauge for those circuits. Remember, when you double the voltage, you halve the amperage. Amperage determines wire size.

Probably the MOST important thing to remember is, if you go to the US, buy lots of wire nuts in various sizes. The taped twist connections they commonly use here are probably responsible for more house fires than any other cause because they loosen over time and become heat sources. A wire nut secures the connection, so it cannot come loose.

I find that nowhere in Asia can you purchase these

chocblock.jpg.7ec6cc44ff2742696518ba2da066e619.jpg

So always bring a few back from the UK, the twisted connections covered in cheap electrical tape are just so dangerous.

I also bring back self-amalgamating tape, that is a far safer cover and waterproof.

East Saxon
1 minute ago, rizla said:

I find that nowhere in Asia can you purchase these

chocblock.jpg.7ec6cc44ff2742696518ba2da066e619.jpg

So always bring a few back from the UK, the twisted connections covered in cheap electrical tape are just so dangerous.

I also bring back self-amalgamating tape, that is a far safer cover and waterproof.

The only place I have seen them available in the Philippines is Lazada.

• Thanks 2
lopburi3
40 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Believe Wago type connectors to be far better than twisting with wire nuts or the above (which are normally used here in Thailand) myself and they are easily available from Aliexpress if not locally.  They come in whatever number or wires need to be tied together.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-pieces-lot-WAGO-222-413-Universal-Compact-Wire-Wiring-Connector-3-pin-Conductor-Terminal/32436966884.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10152_10151_10065_10068_10344_10342_10343_10340_10341_10697_10696_10084_10083_10618_10307_10059_10534_308_100031_10103_441_10624_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_13,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=a58b1c67-76e8-4e2c-8ebf-96ad90d00b6a-7&algo_pvid=a58b1c67-76e8-4e2c-8ebf-96ad90d00b6a&priceBeautifyAB=0

Wago Type 10pcs 222-412(PCT212)/413/415 Universal Compact Wire Wiring Connector Conductor Terminal Block With Lever 0.08-2.5mm2Image result for wago connector

Edited by lopburi3
rizla
24 minutes ago, East Saxon said:

Thanks for that, never thought of Lazada, I searched Ace and City hardware and just gave up lol

Woolf
2 hours ago, East Saxon said:

I seen some the sizes at atlantic hardware Tabunok, Talisay

Edited by Woolf
oztony
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

And as usual Bill your knowledge is greater than that of the suppliers and manufacturers on their own product ...who in fact state that solid wire is far more prone to fracture , I have dealt with this problem on several occasions with my commercial air conditioning business and also in the Philippines  ...but if that is what you believe so be it...............get some stranded wire and some solid , bend it backwards and forwards and get back to us on which one fatigued and broke in half ....even common sense would tell you that the solid is going to break well before the stranded gives out , that is the bending part as for the vibration , well same thing ...it gives out first. I have done a lot of wiring over the years , commercial 3 phase as fat as my fingers as well as domestic , the reason solid breaks through vibration is because it is a single strand wire taking all the stress as opposed to that stress being spread across several strands.

Edited by oztony
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Woolf
6 minutes ago, oztony said:

who in fact state that solid wire is far more prone to fracture

One reason why solid wire breaks, is that when you take insulation off there is a risk that you mark the wire

and it will be weak at that point and break do to vibration

• Like 2
oztony
5 minutes ago, Woolf said:

One reason why solid wire breaks, is that when you take insulation off there is a risk that you mark the wire

and it will be weak at that point and break do to vibration

Good information Woolf

I have done thousands of connections and one thing you also become very aware of with solid wire is when you bend it to be housed in the terminal body so that it surrounds the screw that then with a washer or tab holds it in place after you tighten the screw , well if you are not very careful the single strand just breaks when you bend it in preparation for its final resting place....I have never had stranded break through this procedure.....ever ....

I have been trying to remember , but either Australia or the Philippines were starting to phase out the use of single strand wire because of the problems involved in its use.

The single strand cable to my hollow block machine on Negros has broken twice due to vibration , and only with 2 weeks running time on the machine ....you get to find out the cable has broke when you touch the machine and get a boot.....

Woolf

Anyone seen single stranded wire use in a car ???

on a bike ???

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2
jtmwatchbiz
5 hours ago, A_Simple_Man said:

As a side note, I have someone cleaning my exhaust fan in the kitchen and he showed me where "some bugs were eating the wiring".  It seems them red ants around here (and maybe other bugs too) eat the insulation on the wires causing shorts if you don't keep an eye on things.  Surprised the heck outta me but here is a link on it.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/30057/ants-and-electrical-equipment

very true.  our house in guadalupe had that problem with two light switches that were wall mounted near our front door.   ants ate thru the insulation.  

• Like 1
lopburi3
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

Anyone seen single stranded wire use in a car ???

on a bike ???

That is not house wiring and not 220v.  The low voltage/high amperage of car/bike needs multi strand.  Fixed in place house wiring does not.  Multi strand is used for high amperage feed lines and zip cord type use where the flexibility is required.

Woolf
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

Probably the MOST important thing to remember is, if you go to the US, buy lots of wire nuts in various sizes

Wire nuts are not legal in many countries

not in Denmark and I think someone mentioned some time ago not in UK

oztony
50 minutes ago, Woolf said:

buy lots of wire nuts in various sizes

50 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Wire nuts are not legal in many countries

Image result for bp connectorsWe use these , far more superior to wire nuts