SPF for attic insulation

streak03

Has anyone here had spf sprayed on the underside of a metal roof for insulation here in Phils?

Davaoeno
55 minutes ago, streak03 said:

Has anyone here had spf sprayed on the underside of a metal roof for insulation here in Phils?

The SPF indicates the length of time that your skin is protected from sunburn, depending on your skin type. To help you understand a bit better, if you start getting sunburned after five minutes in the sun without any sunscreen, applying a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 would protect you for 30 x five minutes (or 150 minutes)

I can not find a product called spf 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
7 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

The SPF indicates the length of time that your skin is protected from sunburn, depending on your skin type. To help you understand a bit better, if you start getting sunburned after five minutes in the sun without any sunscreen, applying a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 would protect you for 30 x five minutes (or 150 minutes)

Spray polyurethane foam-based (SPF) roof systems

SPF-based roof systems are constructed by mixing and spraying a two-component liquid that forms the base of an adhered roof system. SPF can be installed in various thicknesses to provide slope to drain or meet a specified thermal resistance (R-value). A protective surfacing is then applied to the foam to provide protection from the elements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
streak03

Salty, You can also use it as an insulation on the underside of a metal roof, not just the outside. 

Dig a little deeper Daveneo, its all over google lol.

lopburi3

In Thailand there are one or two firms selling, often to expats in Pattaya area, but believe most is for commercial factory use (as it is rather expensive for home use from what I have read and fiberglass batts are available everywhere at much lower cost).  It has the advantage of making roof a more difficult entry for thieves but in general have not read many great reviews.  

Currently metal roofs with foam applied at factory seems to be preferred for home use (if metal being used) and is being made here (deadens rain and insulates very well).  

SKC Thailand Steel Roofing Panels

Jawny
21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In Thailand there are one or two firms selling, often to expats in Pattaya area, but believe most is for commercial factory use (as it is rather expensive for home use from what I have read and fiberglass batts are available everywhere at much lower cost).  It has the advantage of making roof a more difficult entry for thieves but in general have not read many great reviews.  

Currently metal roofs with foam applied at factory seems to be preferred for home use (if metal being used) and is being made here (deadens rain and insulates very well).  

SKC Thailand Steel Roofing Panels

I have a new roof and was looking into alternative forms of insulation.  I’m not clear about Thailand contractors. Is there some connection to Philippines?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
oztony
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

• Thanks 1
Davaoeno
50 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I’m not clear about Thailand contractors. Is there some connection to Philippines?

Yes- apparently some of them come here on vacation .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
fred42
3 hours ago, Jawny said:

I have a new roof and was looking into alternative forms of insulation.  I’m not clear about Thailand contractors. Is there some connection to Philippines?

If I were you `d look into roof heat ventilation first..There are a couple of cheap solutions depending on your eves and fresh air intakes below the bottom of your roof.. the roof spinning turbine vents seem to  work real good here..

046462203801.jpg

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, fred42 said:

If I were you `d look into roof heat ventilation first..There are a couple of cheap solutions depending on your eves and fresh air intakes below the bottom of your roof.. the roof spinning turbine vents seem to  work real good here..

046462203801.jpg

So true isolate ur drop down ceiling first so attic heat cant easily go to the upstairs bedrooms then vent the air between ur drop down ceiling and ur real ceiling as show on this photo.u don’t need any Thai for that.