murders of UK nationals in the Philippines 2008-18

well it's only to 2016 actually because there hasn't been one since then.

this may well not be a complete list.

2016 Aurora Moynihan age : 45 location : Manila. method : Shooting. status : Resident. outcome : alleged killer, her Filipino boyfriend, shot dead by police.

2014 Tony Gilchrist 35. Malapascua. Shooting. Resident. Employee convicted.

2011 Paul Atkins 62. Angeles. Shooting. Tourist. No arrest.

2011 David Balmer 54. Angeles. Shooting. Resident. No arrest.

2011 Graham Bayley. 58. Cabanatuan. Shooting. Resident. No arrest.

2010 Bruce Jones 50. Angeles. Shooting. Resident. No arrest.

2010 Carole Day 56 Unknown, but probably Manila. Unknown. Tourist. No arrest.

2010 John Mcdonald 28. Manila. Stabbing. Tourist. Conviction of girlfriend's actual Filipino boyfriend.

2010 Anthony Nicholas 64. Sipalay. Shooting. Resident. No arrest.

2008 Philip Aitken 43. Davao. Blunt Instrument. Resident. Girlfriend and two others convicted.

9 murders of Brits in 10 years, I would say that is quite a lot really.

2 women, 8 men
average age 50
78% shot
3 convictions, 2 of which 'the wife dunnit'
3 out of the 10 in Angeles. But one of them, in Nueva Ecija, suspiciously near.

I think 10 in 8 years is quite a lot really.

rizla

Number of deaths of British citizens across the world between 2013-2014, only figures I could find.

Spain - 856

USA - 125

Thailand - 362

France - 346

Greece - 160

United Arab Emirates - 75

Cyprus - 157

Australia - 72

India - 89

Germany - 146 

Turkey - 75

China - 66

Philippines - 82 

Pakistan - 21

Portugal - 131

Egypt - 49

Canada - 32

Switzerland - 173 

Italy - 45

Jamaica - 23 

Source: FCO  

Which would suggest safer in The Philippines than Europe!

Although these figures are deaths rather than murders, it still makes one wonder.

Edited by rizla
JamesMusslewhite

Just give them more time, and they will learn to hate you just like your European neighbors have.

rizla
6 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Just give them more time, and they will learn to hate you just like your European neighbors have.

Why? Britain has been at war with every country in Europe over the centuries, especially France and Spain, while in the 1760's Britain did invade Manilla, it was due to the Spanish controlling the country, seen as an easy attack by the British, it was never an invasion against the indigenous population, so historically, the British are not seen as an enemy, whereas the Americans have a far more recent and murderous history and took control of the entire nation, not two cities as done by the British.

It is an interesting thought as to what would the Philippines be like today had the British colonised the islands, pure speculation on my part, but bet there would have been a decent rail system throughout the nation, and fish&chips shops in every town lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Woolf
27 minutes ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Where do you get the idea from that the European neighbors hate uk and its people   ???????

• Like 1
JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, rizla said:

Why? Britain has been at war with every country in Europe over the centuries, especially France and Spain, while in the 1760's Britain did invade Manilla, it was due to the Spanish controlling the country, seen as an easy attack by the British, it was never an invasion against the indigenous population, so historically, the British are not seen as an enemy, whereas the Americans have a far more recent and murderous history and took control of the entire nation, not two cities as done by the British.

It is an interesting thought as to what would the Philippines be like today had the British colonised the islands, pure speculation on my part, but bet there would have been a decent rail system throughout the nation, and fish&chips shops in every town lol.

The Brits would have either totally bailed out totally during the Jap invasion never to return and leaving the Filipinos to totally fin for themselves. Because they would not have had the forces to hold the territory. The Brits would have had to deal with the Moros, plantation barons and the K.K.K, just as the US had to and the Brits could be quite brutal to the indigenous within their colonies. Or the Brits may have returned only to rape and pilfer as much of their natural resources as possible until the Philippines were finally able to kick them out for good. Either way 80% of the islands would be called Queensland. :biggrin_01:

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
JamesMusslewhite
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

Where do you get the idea from that the European neighbors hate uk and its people   ???????

Oh I was simply looking at the numbers ( Spain - 856 , France - 346Germany - 146, Switzerland - 173, Portugal - 131) and was just making light-humor of all that neighborly love. :biggrin_01:

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, rizla said:

Number of deaths of British citizens across the world between 2013-2014, only figures I could find.

Spain - 856

USA - 125

Thailand - 362

France - 346

Greece - 160

United Arab Emirates - 75

Cyprus - 157

Australia - 72

India - 89

Germany - 146 

Turkey - 75

China - 66

Philippines - 82 

Pakistan - 21

Portugal - 131

Egypt - 49

Canada - 32

Switzerland - 173 

Italy - 45

Jamaica - 23 

Source: FCO  

Which would suggest safer in The Philippines than Europe!

Although these figures are deaths rather than murders, it still makes one wonder.

Thailand paradise killer number one for the British folks mostly deadly motorcycle accidents.

Woolf
1 hour ago, JamesMusslewhite said:

Oh I was simply looking at the numbers ( Spain - 856 , France - 346Germany - 146, Switzerland - 173, Portugal - 131)

those numbers just means that people from uk are spending more time in those countries, the numbers are not murders but deaths

silly form of humor, I will say

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid

2015, Brian Bridge, 69, Palawan. Stabbed to death inside his own house. His Filipina asawa broke her leg and hip jumping from an upstairs window while fleeing from the killers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3149680/Retired-British-teacher-stabbed-death-Philippines-Brian-Bridge-69-suffered-multiple-injuries-savage-attack.html

4 hours ago, rizla said:

1 hour ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

2015, Brian Bridge, 69, Palawan. Stabbed to death inside his own house. His Filipina asawa broke her leg and hip jumping from an upstairs window while fleeing from the killers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3149680/Retired-British-teacher-stabbed-death-Philippines-Brian-Bridge-69-suffered-multiple-injuries-savage-attack.html

thank you. I suspected that there might be more and the two you have added are particularly valuable because they are the only ones so far that were murdered INSIDE their residences. 

it was what I was looking for actually by posting the topic. Just stick to the British ones, because if it was the American, Canadian and/or Australian or New Zealand ones there would be too many and it would clog everything up. But you do have a hope of monitoring how many there are, because unlike with the German and Korean ones etc, with the British ones, it will be reported in English language. 

it seems like the Angeles ones don't get reported so much. They happen so often, they are less visible, it has a limited news value and they get relegated to page 24. 

others may come up.

They have to have had a British passport, although some of them may have dual nationality and spoke, when they were still alive to speak, with like an Australian or Canadian accent. The murders have to have been within the last 10 years. 

thank you for your co-operation. 

Edited by badian
Kabisay-an gid

Google is your friend:

McDonald was murdered inside his girlfriend's house.

Gilchrist was murdered inside his own dive shop.

Balmer and his girlfriend were murdered inside the house of a long-time friend who was also a foreigner in the Philippines.

Aitken was murdered inside the house where his Philippine-born son lived.

few are murdered inside their own residences though which suggests that no matter how much money you spend on CCTV etc, it isn't going to help you. 

Balmer was the only one that was a real villain. He was the only one out all of them that was a proper criminal and who might have got murdered anywhere anyway.

Kabisay-an gid
19 minutes ago, badian said:

few are murdered inside their own residences though which suggests that no matter how much money you spend on CCTV etc, it isn't going to help you. 

If you include ALL foreigners from ALL nations - MANY foreigners are murdered in their own residences in the Philippines. I provided several examples off the top of my head in another thread. A thorough Google search will turn up a large number of foreigners murdered in their own residences in the Philippines.

CCTV by itself isn't going to save your life in every instance, but it is valuable as both an early warning system and as a tool in helping identify guilty parties after the fact.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Like 1