Leaky Taps - 1/4 Turn Ceramic Cartridge - Limestone Scale

Semper paratus

Have you tried cleaning the mineral deposits/lime scale with muriatic acid ? That is what I use. Works for me in most cases. Just don't breath in too many fumes. 

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
8 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

Have you tried cleaning the mineral deposits/lime scale with muriatic acid ?

I suggest caution.  I have a gf who likes to clean metal taps with muriatic acid and they rust out in mere months when exposed to it. And I mean RUST OUT.  Perhaps it takes off the finish that protects the metal from rust?

• Like 1
Semper paratus
57 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I suggest caution.  I have a gf who likes to clean metal taps with muriatic acid and they rust out in mere months when exposed to it. And I mean RUST OUT.  Perhaps it takes off the finish that protects the metal from rust?

I can't help it, the Devil made me post this. 

Jawny
4 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Have you tried cleaning the mineral deposits/lime scale with muriatic acid ? That is what I use. Works for me in most cases. Just don't breath in too many fumes. 

Use of acids for household cleaning has some severe hazards. When the acid combines with chlorine or ammonia cleansers, dangerous (fatal) concentrations of fumes can form. People die using these combinations.  Just sayin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
lopburi3
28 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Use of acids for household cleaning has some severe hazards. When the acid combines with chlorine or ammonia cleansers, dangerous (fatal) concentrations of fumes can form. People die using these combinations.  Just sayin.

And cleaning is not going to stop a leak due scratched ceramic valve - they work great until such damage; but are a goner once that happens.

• Like 1
colemanlee

What muric acid is great at is cleaning concrete

• Like 4
Semper paratus
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

Yep, never ever mix ammonia and bleach. Or it may be your last time. Reading labels can be very helpful and save a life. We were taught things like this at a very young age by our parents and in grade school. Do parents and schools not do that now a days ? I don't know, at 74 I never had kids and don't think it's in my future. I would think certain cleaning and chemical products should be kept out of reach of young ones, perhaps even locked up. The products, not the kids. :o)

RogerDat

There is a report about house hold cleaners causing long term health for women in U.S.. They are starting to regulate what can be bought.

colemanlee
34 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

The products, not the kids. :o)

If you knew my kids you might change your mind :ROFLMAO:

• Haha 1
Semper paratus
2 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

There is a report about house hold cleaners causing long term health for women in U.S.. They are starting to regulate what can be bought.

Any chance you have a  link to a story or something about that ? It would be of interest to some family and friends back in the U.S. I would think, and in any country such as here in the Philippines. I know my wife's family here no little of such things. 

Semper paratus
18 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I Googled also before posting asking about a link. But I found next to nothing the family here is going to understand. I am looking for specifics on which cleaners are the worst, and are any of them safe. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything worthwhile. 

• Thanks 1
CardiacKid

My solution was to replace all the taps with the plastic ones made in Malaysia. They had one washer, also plastic, and lasted really well. YMMV

sugbu777
22 hours ago, Aerosick said:

We soak these in vinegar + water solution. Scrub out the inside of the taps with a toothbrush to get rid of all the deposits. So far this has saved our 11 y/o taps. We're on Cebu City water.

For really tough stuff you can go with straight vinegar.  Here in Guam we even get the deposits in the toilet bowl. Soaking bowl with vinegar takes care of the problem (until it eventually comes back). Water and vinegar solution (50/50) works good on the shower head, taps etc.

• Like 1
to_dave007
6 hours ago, CardiacKid said:

My solution was to replace all the taps with the plastic ones made in Malaysia. They had one washer, also plastic, and lasted really well. YMMV

Thanks..  I've done that in kitchen already.  The one that has the blue plastic washer..  and I have a packet of the washers ready to go.

• Like 1