ATM Withdrawal

exploringlife2

Jersey Jim

"HSBC"= Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank Corp.

Woolf
1 minute ago, RangerUp said:

"HSBC Bank USA"is an American subsidiary, headquarters in New York City, USA, and 230 locations throughout the United States of America.  http://www.usbanklocations.com/hsbc-bank-usa-locations.htm

How many HSBC ATM locations in Philippines ?

Jersey Jim

"American subsidiary" only means its registered as a foreign branch of a non US bank subject to us regulation to Federal Reserve and OCC , but HSBC is a British Banking Holding company and the ATM in the Philippines are NOT subject to US Banking regulation in any way, shape or form.

Same way Banco Santander owes Sovereign Bank in Northeast or BBVA (Spain) owns Compass Bank in the US means nothing in their overseas branches.

SkyMan
4 hours ago, Soarking said:

When I got home and went to the bank I was informed that they cannot reactivate a card once cancelled by the bank and a new one needs to be issued and in cannot be done over the phone or internet.   I believe all the banks are the same.

Glad you're wrong about that.  I've had a couple cards reactivated and a couple times they just sent new cards.  All from over the phone to the US,

4 hours ago, Jawny said:

Yes, this can happen here.  My child in college in Cebu used an ATM close to the apartment, but not with the bank of the card (Metrobank). The withdrawal of ₽5000 was made, but no money came out

I've had that happen a couple times here and never bothered contacting the local bank.  The reason I didn't go to the local bank was because of what happened to you, fill out a bunch of forms wait in line, back and forth to the bank, blah, blah, blah.  I just called my bank in the US, explained and let them handle it.  A few days later the money was returned. 

SkyMan
19 minutes ago, Woolf said:

How many HSBC ATM locations in Philippines ?

According their locator about 10.  1 in Davao, 1 next to Ayala in Cebu, the rest in NCR.

Edited by SkyMan
Woolf
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

According their locator about 10.  1 in Davao, 1 next to Ayala in Cebu, the rest in NCR.

So if you is not in Davao, Cebu City or somewhere in NCR, it is pretty hard to get to a HSBC ATM

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Woolf said:

So if you is not in Davao, Cebu City or somewhere in NCR, it is pretty hard to get to a HSBC ATM

I really don't put much into the "use your bank's ATM" philosophy unless you're trying to save fees.  Like I said, when I've been ripped off by an ATM I just call my bank and complain and they deal with it.  I don't know if it still works but I used to use my (US) HSBC card at Metrobank and UCPB ATMs with no fee.  When you use a (US) HSBC ATM card at one of the HSBC ATMs here you really are using a different bank's ATM anyway.  I can't go into HSBC and take a withdraw on my US account.  I should go down there though an open a dollar account so I can transfer directly and withdraw dollars without having to wait a month for a check to clear.

trthebees
4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Is the ATM labeled as accepting the system of your UK card?  They indeed may have removed access but probably more likely the communications link into city/back to UK is too long a delay.  I doubt it is an attempt to keep money from you or other foreigners.  Banks make money on providing money.

Yep you're right about the ATM fees both ends, and probably it is the communications delay. It's DBP bank's ATM, not that that should make a difference. My UK card is standard Visa, and it does go through the motions and show a page saying my own overseas bank may charge a fee also...answer yes/no to accept. Then says unable to process.

Oh well, not a problem while I also have a local bank card.

• Thanks 1