Sign in to follow this  
exploringlife2

ATM Withdrawal

exploringlife2

Hello,

I made an ATM withdrawal from a ATM outside a Bank near the Market on the 16th of March. I try to use my card on the 20th and it does not work. I email my bank and about my card is not working. Then I go online and check my account. I see the 16th withdrawal and there is one pending from the 19th (in USA 19th same as 20th in Philippines) I did not make. I have contacted my Bank in the USA again and hopefully they can get the 10,000peso credited back to my account.

Has anyone experienced this before?

In the future I will make my withdrawals at the Bank I have an account with and not the closest to where I am. This way I do have someone I can talk with if I need to. 

Soarking

If your bank in the US cancelled your card your out of luck getting it reactivated again.  

Just before leaving there to return home I made the mistake of entering the wrong PIN three times in a row, (OK,  with age the memory goes first).  The bank cancelled that card.  Luckily I had other access to money and was leaving the Philippines in about a week anyway.   When I got home and went to the bank I was informed that they cannot reactivate a card once cancelled by the bank and a new one needs to be issued and in cannot be done over the phone or internet.   I believe all the banks are the same.

Jawny

Yes, this can happen here.  My child in college in Cebu used an ATM close to the apartment, but not with the bank of the card (Metrobank). The withdrawal of ₽5000 was made, but no money came out.

It took more than a week of back and forth to get the credit.  Also, a couple of trips to the bank where the card was used.  During this process, one of the security guards made a comment that this happens frequently at the ATM.  (Its amazing how secrets get passed along like some sort of gossip). 

Lesson learned....use the card at the issuing bank branches...if at all possible.

Soarking
2 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Lesson learned....use the card at the issuing bank branches...if at all possible.

Pretty hard to do with an ATM card issued at an American bank while in the RP.

• Like 1

Jawny
3 minutes ago, Soarking said:

I’m pretty sure the OP made the same suggestion.  To use his own bank for future withdrawals.  

Kabisay-an gid

• Like 1

BossHog

Recently had this happen. China Bank card at a rural ATM. Had to visit their office repeatedly but it got fixed in three days. Patience is your friend here. It was two withdrawals of 10k each when no cash came out but we got debited with the funds. But it did get fixed eventually. They had to do some internal auditing. Slightly annoying but a minor hiccup.

Salty Dog

I had it happen 4 different times where no money came out, but a Philippine bank took my money. Everytime, my US Bank paid me back. Twice they got the money back from the Philippine bank. Once the Philippines bank paid me back. The other time nothing was done. All four times was in Dumaguete. Never had a problem in Cebu City.

I've had my card kept twice by an ATM in the Philippines, but got it back both times within 24 hours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

A_Simple_Man

Reminds me, with Easter weekend starting one week from today, it is wise to get cash in advance to cover your needs as machines frequently run out of cash over Easter weekend and are not replenished until the following Monday or Tuesday.

bounder

I have also been unable to get money from the ATM machines with my debit card from the states.  I was able to get money on the 15th, but my attempts yesterday and today were unsuccessful.  I went to two different ATM's and got the same answer "Temporarily Unable to Process Transaction."    I accept the fact that it is not the end of the World and there are other ways of receiving the money, but it is rather frustrating.  

I did contact my stateside bank and they said there was never a record of any transaction attempt on my card, so it must be happening here and with another member posting this same dilemma, I am confident we are not the only two it is happening to. 

So, now I wonder why the financial institutions are blocking our requests for money?  Actually, Is it really them or is it the government?  Inquiring minds want to know.  

exploringlife2

Thank You for your responses and yes it happened in Dumaguete.

lopburi3

ATM's have to communicate and with the state of internet in Philippines can understand having issues - 20 years ago there were issues here in Thailand where communications could not be completed and often a very misleading sign displayed.  At any rate would not worry about "pending" transaction as it will automatically be removed soon by your home bank.  If you are actually charged and do not receive funds you can make a claim to your home bank and it will be resolved.  This does not appear to have anything to do with skimmer - just a communications error.  As for the one on the 15th is that a payday by chance (here in Thailand often pay middle and end of month now).  Might have been too much traffic for the ATM network to handle.  

After these type of issues made the switch to having local bank account and deposit into that when needed and use local bank ATM cards for access (much cheaper).  Expect the same process might be useful in Philippines - and believe you can cheaply use US checks to deposit funds there (with only the normal foreign clearance time delay).

trthebees

There's an ATM in our local municipal entrance. And the same in the next town a few miles away.. Which is an advance on a couple of years ago when getting cash meant crossing to Dumaguete.

But they often don't work, maybe out of cash, don't know, the screen messages are never really specific.When they do I feel like I've won the lottery.

When they work, they now only seem to accept my local bank card. My UK card, which has worked in the past, is now always fails to process.But will work in the city ATM's. I'm wondering if they've biased the machines to local users to try to keep money available for local users as topping up must be difficult at this distance from the city.

lopburi3
11 minutes ago, trthebees said:

When they work, they now only seem to accept my local bank card. My UK card, which has worked in the past, is now always fails to process.But will work in the city ATM's. I'm wondering if they've biased the machines to local users to try to keep money available for local users as topping up must be difficult at this distance from the city.

Is the ATM labeled as accepting the system of your UK card?  They indeed may have removed access but probably more likely the communications link into city/back to UK is too long a delay.  I doubt it is an attempt to keep money from you or other foreigners.  Banks make money on providing money.

RangerUp
3 hours ago, Soarking said:

Not if you have HSBC

• Like 1