Sign in to follow this  
topcat72m

Live in GF allowances

SkyMan
1 minute ago, SkyMan said:

Saving is a western concept. 

An example of this is shampoo.  Years ago I looked at the price of the little shampoo packets and found they were expensive compared to a bottle.  However, if you buy the girl a bottle of shampoo it will run out in half the time or less than if you buy the same amount in packets.  So, we buy the packets.  They can survive on very little money but if they have a lot they will need more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

lamoe
9 minutes ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Not really, Japanese total savings is more than 8 trillion compared to the US‘s 6 trillion. It‘s just rare in the Philippines, good and bad because spending fuels the economy.

Read where they will take money out of ATM in morning for the  day's expenses and deposit remains at night to gain the interest

• Like 1

SkyMan
7 minutes ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Not really, Japanese total savings is more than 8 trillion compared to the US‘s 6 trillion. It‘s just rare in the Philippines, good and bad because spending fuels the economy.

It's still a western concept, just one the Japanese have learned well and most Pinoy have not.  I read a story about a young man who worked as a carpenter/block layer and had a rule to always buy a calf every month.  I guess it helped his family owned some land and his dad tended the cattle.  After years of this he because a relatively wealthy man.  (That's where the story ends but I'm surprised it doesn't go on to say that some family members killed him, sold off the cattle and squandered the money on parties.  That's just my add.....)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Flakes
41 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

An example of this is shampoo.  Years ago I looked at the price of the little shampoo packets and found they were expensive compared to a bottle.  However, if you buy the girl a bottle of shampoo it will run out in half the time or less than if you buy the same amount in packets.  So, we buy the packets.  They can survive on very little money but if they have a lot they will need more.

This is somewhat true even for me because my candies and sweets last longer individually wrapped up.

profits101

I give my live-in gf p5k per month. We go together to BDO and she deposits it in her account. She's a f/t student at USJR - I put her in there after she had been working at MEPSA, and then Gaisano. Also, back in Negros she has a pretty good income producing pig and she uses some of that allowance to send to Ate for food, medicine, piglets when they arrive about every 4 months. Profits from the pig flow around between her family and some actually comes back to her. She was already very thrifty before meeting me, and came up through the Sister of Mary school in Talisay and is very responsible. I had already been around the block on gf's, and over the course of a few years the money-requestors and other "fast" girls fell by the wayside. She proved herself to be high quality, beyond my seasoned expectations, not to mention the side benefits. 

For me, I want her to be exposed to independence and develop some larger business sense about how she uses her money - she's a business student anyway. Hey, its not really that much. Like others here, when we're together I pay all... its not a big deal to me. But she picks up all the misc school costs and she is also doing some buying and selling of fashion stuff and making some other profits for herself with her peers at school. I have taken these steps very slowly... my plan is to give her some larger kind of nest egg maybe next year and see what she does with it. Given the age gap - ha - eventually she will be managing larger money so I like to develop her money management skills. At the end of the month she'll spend between half and all of the 5k. She'll also spend money on gifts for her various cousins/nephews etc, and we visit Negros a few times a year and she brings some of that with her - I limit my family stuff to the immediate family only.

I guess my prescription is: take it slow, monitor, maintain control, allow for mistakes and freedom, counsel, encourage some level of saving and forward-thinking. I try to think of it as an opportunity and not a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

smokey

Gee gue* i lucked out no allowance wife works in us 

• Like 1

Enuff

I built a sari-sari & recently a pisonet.

No giving required.

I've had 1 request for money. Told him I had money because I saved money, he should do the same. No more requests.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

I expect my girlfriend to handle all the bills from cable TV to dining out. Especially the dining out as I leave the tipping to her, and she doesn't tip. 

• Like 1

RickyL

I always laugh a little when I hear of allowances being mentioned. Allowances are for children. Ask your girlfriend if she needs some money, if she answers yes then give her some. Pay for things, buy her some things, if you pay her a set amount every month, I don't know..... it just sounds like paying an employee.

• Like 3

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, RickyL said:

Ask your girlfriend if she needs some money, if she answers yes then give her some.

that sounds like making a beggar of her !!

the.lone.gunman
2 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

that sounds like making a beggar of her !!

I agree. Just give the gf  x amount of pesos per month for her own personal use . I find it demeaning that someone has to ask for every little thing.

• Like 2

broden

hREjoHv.jpg

• Like 1

lamoe
1 hour ago, RickyL said:

I always laugh a little when I hear of allowances being mentioned. Allowances are for children. Ask your girlfriend if she needs some money, if she answers yes then give her some. Pay for things, buy her some things, if you pay her a set amount every month, I don't know..... it just sounds like paying an employee.

Her "allowance" is to insure her parents receive the support money she provided  when she worked - along with siblings - the additional  is what could be called mad money

Typically  she spends it on  - actually I don'r know - I think she saves it

As for her everyday expenses "My love I want to buy ((*^T KU"     OK 1K , 2? enough or  we buy when out shopping -  Don't ask for change

So allowance could be termed set spending money

A_Simple_Man
On 3/22/2018 at 2:30 AM, topcat72m said:

I'm thinking about giving an allowance and limiting my spend and budget by setting it out from the beginning.

I have had a few serious relationships and I found that each filipina is different.

The money conversation has to come up.  Any filipina I have spent a lot of time with eventually learns exactly what I spend, on average, each month by watching and learning.  She will figure out what her share should be and do her best to spend that amount.  It does not seem to matter whether you give it to her as an "allowance" or as "her share of the budget" or just go along with her when she explains how much money she needs and why.

Girlfriend A accepted a small allowance that she gave to her family and then expected me to pay for all her necessities and wants.  She ended up utilizing half my monthly budget in one way or another.

Girlfriend B never got an allowance but still managed to figure out exactly what I was spending every month and planned ways "we" should spend it.  That often involved clothes and toys for her as well as trips for the two of us.

Girlfriend C I went back to a small allowance and disciplined myself to spend less to fool her into thinking "our" budget was much less than it actually is.  That works for a while.  She is the one out of the three who handles money best.  She does not give cash to her family but she finds things to do for them so they can earn money.  Example, she uses the small allowance to buy pigs and pig feed and lets the family take care of the pig for a share in the profits.  She manipulates me to invest in her small business that she works in and employs her family members in so everyone earns a few pesos.  I actually have more money left over with this third girlfriend but I spend less time with her.  She would rather contribute to "our" future (me, she, and her other family members) than sit around and be a kept woman.

So my personal opinion and conclusion is that how you handle the financial dealings between you and your gf will depend on the individual girl and on how you handle your own money.

• Like 5

topcat72m

@a_simple_man Thanks. I think your right. Each are different and it' more than possible this won't work out. I'm getting a feel for what the right way to handle it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1