• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Davaoeno

• topcat72m

• yee

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is she currently living on?  If she has a job, would you want her to keep it or stay at home with you? My GF (now wife) and I lived together for 4 years. I never gave her an allowance o

I find this topic to be one that needs to be thought about on a cultural level. In Canada I would never give my gf an  allowance, and she would be insulted if I did . However, things are muc

One of my favorite sayings to those that always want money, Remember what you did before I got here, then do that.

Posted Images

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

after yelling at him for 5 hours continuously, she didn't talk to him for eight years.

I assume he considered that a bonus ??   :ROFLMAO:

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Topper
7 hours ago, Enuff said:

You have a gf in canada?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

PS_0920_EH_TEAM_t.jpg.a53d31ce25a01a0438038376d6162375.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, topcat72m said:

I'm looking for a general consensus here. I like to have a girlfriend live in with me. I'm aware there will be a shake down for money. Family and other B.S. I'm going to be living in Cebu close to the city. 

I'm thinking about giving an allowance and limiting my spend and budget by setting it out from the beginning. 

What would you expat suggest a reasonable figure. 

BTW my overall budget is 90k to 100k piso per month military pension depending on exchange rate. 

My initial thoughts would be 10k piso per month. Is it enough. It needs to cover Phil health fo her and her personal toiletries and clothing and family issues. I'll pay her food and she will be living with me. She will also continue working/studying. 

Is ther any expats on here that did a similar deal and how did it work out.

Weekly allowance is best I think, not monthly, and with Monday as payday.
2300 a week is probably too much since you pay for everything she needs.
I'm afraid she can get habits that are undesirable, I mean that 1500 a week is a good sum for her.
With 90-100k a month is not so smart to create a "luxury monster", that can waste a normal good monthly salary here on nonsense.
If you see that she actually uses the money wisely, you can increase the amount.
Or give 1500 allowance and putt 700 into a savings account weekly for her. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, topcat72m said:

What I'm trying to avoid as far as possible is regular unexpected expenses. I' rather my GF manages her own money demands and by setting an allowance I'm hoping it will be fair and less complicated. 

The problem is that she will probably never save any of the money that you give her, no matter what you tell her.   

The money that you give is the expected amount that she will quickly spend.  Better to give money weekly than monthly.   Any emergencies will probably be considered by her and/or her family as above and beyond what you regularly give her.  

So, "unexpected expenses" will not be budgeted or planned for by her.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
newtocebu

If your gf isnt happy enough with being treated nicely and living a nicer lifestyle then maybe you are with the wrong girl

• Like 7
lamoe
18 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

What is she currently living on? 

If she has a job, would you want her to keep it or stay at home with you?

My GF (now wife) and I lived together for 4 years. I never gave her an allowance or even thought about it. I paid her SSS and PhilHealth, which at the times was less than P500 a month. Other than that we lived pretty much as if we were marred. She never asked for money, but never wanted for anything. We did most everything together. On the occasion when she was going to the market without me, I just gave her P1,000 or so. I never asked how much she spent or for change, but she always gave it to me anyway. I had several Philippine bank accounts and we also had a joint account. Since she never had much money, she was very frugal. I would say having her live with me cost virtually nothing extra in the long run. She did have an emergency appendectomy and was in the hospital for nearly a week. The total cost was around P100,000. Philhealth paid something like P30,000 and I paid the rest. Before that though, I was hospitalized for over a month and would have never made it through it without her being there. Now that we are married, it still pretty much goes the same. I pay all the monthly bills. The only one exclusively for her is TRICARE Prime and Dental which is less than $100 a month. She carries the cash which is never more than $100. We pay for everything with a credit card that has earned enough frequent flyer miles for her a round trip ticket to the Philippines if or when she ever decides to go back for a visit. She still ask me anytime she wants to buy something, even though I've told her dozens of time, if she needs something, just buy it.

Thanks to LINC - during initial chatting I did ask if she supports family - yes and no  - worked in sister's inn and sent 2 K every month along with 4 siblings = 10k

I told her OK - 2 K for parents, 1 K for her , I take care of all other expenses as if she were my wife (clothes, cos medics, SS, Philealth, Etc.).

Told her about some of the bad experiences other members have had with warning that she should inform family - only one aunt went overboard at dinner at Sea Island and ordered 1.5 k Crab dinner - the other 9 shared - bill was 6? k total

Before the Cheap Charlies begin, in addition I spend between 5 and 10 K on things for her I want her to have - joke is she has only 2 more fingers for rings to go - x mass / birthday 1 week later was a biggie 40 K

After she came to the condo (I did not ask to stay - just sort of never left) - she had to go for surgery - 3 day stay = 90,000k total, then toothache 2 months ago  - I said (she didn't ask or want) get it all taken care of 12 K

My only advice is set a budget  that is  about 75% of max sustainability (no dipping into savings, 401, stocks, etc.) and allow 10% of that for her alone

She does have own bank account - I've seen amount -  she asked me to get something from her jewelry drawer  and in 1 I found 3 K - money left over from monthly allowance

No loans to her family - all work except parents - we have purchased things upon request  but always repaid

Carbon shopping - give 1 K - almost never asks for more - and come home with cart filled plus bags.

• Thanks 1
Alfred E. Neuman

Give her startup capital for anything that earn ten thousand monthly, empower her.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
lamoe
1 hour ago, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Give her startup capital for anything that earn ten thousand monthly, empower her.

1 mil P in 1% interest paying acount - considering the percentage of business failures this might be the safestest way.

Loving you should not be a job people get paid to do. Charot. Just messing with you.

• Like 5
lamoe
2 hours ago, yee said:

Loving you should not be a job people get paid to do. Charot. Just messing with you.

Loving no - putting up with some of us is another story

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
SkyMan

You said she was going to school and working and will continue to do so.  She was able to provide for her needs before including housing, utilities, food and clothes.  I'm assuming you will pay for housing, utilities, food, and probably TV, and internet, perhaps even phone load.  So what is the need for the allowance?

Money burns holes in Filipino's pockets..  Extra money is a challenge to spend.  Whatever you give her she will run out before the planned time.  And if she doesn't spend it all her family will find ways for her. to spend it    It has taken me years to convince my wife that  scrimping now can result in nice things later.  Saving is a western concept.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Alfred E. Neuman
8 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Saving is a western concept

Not really, Japanese total savings is more than 8 trillion compared to the US‘s 6 trillion. It‘s just rare in the Philippines, good and bad because spending fuels the economy.

• Like 3
colemanlee
9 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

You said she was going to school and working and will continue to do so.  She was able to provide for her needs before including housing, utilities, food and clothes

One of my favorite sayings to those that always want money, Remember what you did before I got here, then do that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2