• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jawny

• SkyMan

• A_Simple_Man

• Kabisay-an gid

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gotta hand it to you.  You go all the way when trying to prove your point.  I should also point out that 2 guys on a motorcycle would make short work of that dog if the backrider had a gun. Oh

I rented a house in Sampaguita a few years ago, it had a ten foot or so wall completely around it, the people that owned it had let a neighbor, actually build a store using the fence for one of the wa

Try one of these....

Posted Images

Humboldt
39 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

Perhaps, but I think many thefts are crimes of opportunity done by people who would be honest and friendly if not led into temptation.

What the eye don't see, the heart don't grieve so a wall that keeps honest people from getting tempted to walk off with my stuff is all I can expect.

If ever you lose your wallet here in the Catholic church ,, you will soon discover about 90% are honest thefts

• Haha 1
SkyMan
8 hours ago, hyaku said:

. It's your personal stuff they are after, not your garden shovel

Not true.  They can sell that shovel for p50 or whatever and that, to some, is worth the effort.  A former member here had a place on the beach and people would take scraps of rebar.  He had motion sensors and a security guard.  They would creep towards his stuff and the sensor would sound a low volume alarm near the guard but at night they would hear it and stop moving until the alarm went out.  Then they'd move a little more and repeat.  Just for scrap steel.

Edited by SkyMan
Kabisay-an gid

Not many can get over an 8-foot wall with spikes on top, and it would be even harder to get back over while carrying stolen goods. And as I mentioned previously, besides providing better security - a wall will provide greater privacy, noise control, and protection from storms etcetera.

Laundry and toes won't help anybody get over these:

wall-spikes.jpg

A_Simple_Man
10 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Laundry and toes won't help anybody get over these:

I see what looks like a tree in the background.  I bet a filipino could climb that tree and hop over the wall to a tree, or roof or whatever on the other side without even touching your spikes.  I used to have a neighbor who would climb on his roof.  Leap over my wall with barbed wire onto my roof.  Have a smoke and then leap back.  Why?  I was never sure I figured he was just showing off that he could, and that if he wanted in then my wall was not going to keep him out.  To the best of my knowledge he never took anything.

The safest place I ever rented had no walls whatsoever, just a ferocious and territorial askal dog that accepted me and only me as the boss.  Everyone or everything that came on the property was his to eat, unless I told him no.  All the locals knew it and the dog never went off the property.  Best dog I ever had.

EDIT:  But this is just conversation, I am not disagreeing that it would be hard to do all that carrying stolen goods.  The only serious implication is if your keys are within reach of a window that can be pried open.  Then they fish through the window bars for the keys using a stick, open the door, open the gate and drive off with your motorcycle and stuff.  And yes I have seen exactly that scenario result when a good friend of mine had a wife who would not freaking listen and left her keys on the table in sight of the living room window.

Edited by A_Simple_Man
  • Haha 1
rizla
On 21/03/2018 at 5:05 PM, Jawny said:

used a chain link fence along the boundary

Hi, where did you buy the chain link fence? I need one approx 30meters long, height not important as long as above easy jumping over.

• Like 1
Jawny
5 hours ago, rizla said:

Hi, where did you buy the chain link fence? I need one approx 30meters long, height not important as long as above easy jumping over.

Chain link fencing is quite common.  It comes in bundles, so many meters long and various widths (height) I cant recommend a hardware store (Atlantic?) as I live in Leyte. The attachments are sold as well to put it up to posts. Just place the posts the appropriate distances, attach the fencing, watch as the dogs tunnel under. 

• Haha 1
SkyMan

Crappy chain link is very common.  It looks like it was hand bent with tie wire.  It kind of resembles chain link but the holes are big enough to put your foot in and if someone tried to climb it it would stretch and mangle.  You could probably pull apart a hole to go through with your bare hands.  There is real chain link here but you have to look for it.  A friend of mine built a house on Panglao and not only did he get chain link but it was green plastic coated I assume for longer rust protection.  There aren't many HW stores in Tag so I'm guessing it came from Citi HW.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man
4 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Crappy chain link is very common.  It looks like it was hand bent with tie wire. 

I think you mean this stuff?

protecto-fence-chain-link-fence-fabric-00-120-005-64_1000.jpg

I totally agree it is crap and only good for chicken wire fencing or marking your property line temporarily

• Like 1
Jawny
40 minutes ago, A_Simple_Man said:

I think you mean this stuff?

protecto-fence-chain-link-fence-fabric-00-120-005-64_1000.jpg

I totally agree it is crap and only good for chicken wire fencing or marking your property line temporarily

This is not what I am familiar with. What I buy comes in bundles and is stretched open and suspended with wire, to avoid sagging. I don’t use it to keep out intruders.  Just as a boundary and to discourage trespassing on property. I’ve seen the green plastic coated as well.  Mine has lasted many years.  

Very inexpensive. 

rizla
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

This is not what I am familiar with. What I buy comes in bundles and is stretched open and suspended with wire, to avoid sagging. I don’t use it to keep out intruders.  Just as a boundary and to discourage trespassing on property. I’ve seen the green plastic coated as well.  Mine has lasted many years.  

Very inexpensive. 

I want to discourage people walking across my garden as a short cut to the swimming pool, I have a "Pathway" to the side of my house, 8' wall one side, house the other, but people can see the pool area when walking behind the house and so cut through my "pathway" and then across my lawn. Pisses me off!!

The site owners even tried putting No Entry signs, but they got pushed over, my back border is marked by a row of potted plants, but easy to step over.

Will visit City HW when back in June, many thanks.

Edited by rizla
to_dave007
2 minutes ago, rizla said:

I want to discourage people walking across my garden as a short cut to the swimming pool, I have a "Pathway" to the side of my house, 8' wall one side, house the other, but people can see the pool area when walking behind the house and so cut through my "pathway" and then across my lawn. Pisses me off!!

Try one of these....

wcnjusl2xxepoaa9pkpc.jpg.c7e3e65f35a4c68840c82e62dce79bf9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Kabisay-an gid
On 3/23/2018 at 10:02 PM, A_Simple_Man said:

The safest place I ever rented had no walls whatsoever, just a ferocious and territorial askal dog that accepted me and only me as the boss.  Everyone or everything that came on the property was his to eat, unless I told him no.  All the locals knew it and the dog never went off the property.  Best dog I ever had.

Holy false sense of security, Batman! "Ferocious" guard dogs being killed by thieves and other intruders with poison, bolos etcetera - is commonplace throughout the Philippines.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/03/28/17/thieves-poison-pets-to-steal-from-house-in-cdo

Thieves Poison Pets to Steal from House in CDO

CAGAYAN DE ORO - Four pet dogs were killed after "akyat-bahay" thieves allegedly poisoned them to steal from a house in Barangay Iponan, Cagayan de Oro Monday.

In a Facebook post, Meriah Belle Maagad expressed grief after she found her dogs lifeless inside their house.

She also found chicken meat covered in blue powder near one of the dogs. Maagad believes the meat was used to poison her dogs.

The Maagad family refused to comment about the incident. The family also asked the news team to refrain from entering their home.

However, Meriah included photos of their ransacked rooms in her Facebook post.

Police said poisoning dogs in order to enter a house is a common tactic used by trespassing thieves.

Police Senior Inspector Ian Datiles, Bulua Police Station 7 Commander confirmed that the perpetrators used a collapsible ladder to reach the window at the house's second level, removed the glass from the window before entering the premises.

The thieves took jewelry and a gun from the house. Authorities said the family did not disclose the amount of the stolen items.

Datiles said they will closely monitor the area since persons responsible are still at large.

• Thanks 1
A_Simple_Man
31 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Police said poisoning dogs in order to enter a house is a common tactic used by trespassing thieves.

I am sure it is a good tactic with dogs who are household pets.  No one ever tried it on my dog.  He was well fed and never ate anything that was not in his food bowl (spoiled brat) so I doubt it would work on him and now we will never know.  It would have been interesting to see you come over and try it.  We could have put a side bet on whether he would eat you or the food  :shit_stirrer::lmao:

Just teasing you.  It was an interesting article and thanks for posting.

colemanlee

Indeed they can poison pets, assuming the pets will eat what they put out....thats why Its good to train a dog you choose to use for a guard dog....Our Belgium has already run off two, one she got a good piece of..Its amusing now to watch people come to the gate....especially beggars and JW's

• Like 2