Sign in to follow this  
noddle

Boundary Fence

Enuff
Last summer my sons and I were staying at a place over in Negros, and right beside us was a 7 foot wall, with flat surface..   My son was just able to jump up and  get his fingers on the top of the wall.  Just for a lark I challenged him to see if he could climb the wall to sit on the top.  Took him a few tries, but he was able to get a good enough grip to the top of the wall that he could walk up the wall..  and presto..  sitting on the top..  at age 6.
If a healthy adult male here wants over an 8 foot wall, they are over in 15 seconds flat.  A 15 foot wall would be more of a challenge..  but I'm sure they can do it. 
Nonetheless..  I agree make the columns and footers strong enough to expand the height if you wish later.  Just don't assume the wall prevents entry when it only discourages it.
Broken bottles and barbed wire to the trick

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sugbu777
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Last summer my sons and I were staying at a place over in Negros, and right beside us was a 7 foot wall, with flat surface..   My son was just able to jump up and  get his fingers on the top of the wall.  Just for a lark I challenged him to see if he could climb the wall to sit on the top.  Took him a few tries, but he was able to get a good enough grip to the top of the wall that he could walk up the wall..  and presto..  sitting on the top..  at age 6.

If a healthy adult male here wants over an 8 foot wall, they are over in 15 seconds flat.  A 15 foot wall would be more of a challenge..  but I'm sure they can do it. 

Nonetheless..  I agree make the columns and footers strong enough to expand the height if you wish later.  Just don't assume the wall prevents entry when it only discourages it.

Use local security...broken glass on top of wall :P

Jawny

Along part of our wall, we had 10mm rebar sticking out every couple of meters.  Just a short piece.  Then we strung barbed wire along the extended rebar.  It won’t keep people out, but will discourage the casual observer.  Funny part is, some neighbors assumed it was electrified and we did not say anything.  

colemanlee

We are doing the broken glass thing on top of ours, but honestly if somebody wants to get over they will. We have always relied on dogs, I have two, a Belgium and a half Golden Retriever...nobody gets close to the property without me knowing....a couple of years ago somebody did try to come over the wall in my previous house, after they made it over they ran into the Belgium...by the time I got there, the only thing left was a piece of cloth and blood on the top of the wall where they made their retreat.... other than the dogs barking all I heard was somebody screaming running down the street....I just let both dogs have free run of the place especially at night...I sleep peacefully knowing if I get a uninvited visitor...the dogs will handle it....

• Like 1

noddle
36 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Along part of our wall, we had 10mm rebar sticking out every couple of meters.  Just a short piece.  Then we strung barbed wire along the extended rebar.  It won’t keep people out, but will discourage the casual observer.  Funny part is, some neighbors assumed it was electrified and we did not say anything.  

I wonder what the local law is with the use of electic fences,  ie the type that are used on farms to keep live stock in an area...

• Thanks 1

Davaoeno

I  dont think you need an electric fence - just a few insulators showing !! hehe

And you dont need cctv- just a camera showing - preferably with a blinking red light ! 

• Like 1

colemanlee
1 hour ago, noddle said:

I wonder what the local law is with the use of electic fences,  ie the type that are used on farms to keep live stock in an area...

The wife actually inquired about the law...as her brother was going to one wire our wall....its perfectly legal AS LONG as the wire is inside the property....in other words, it cant be on the top of the fence, or outside the fence, but can be anywhere on the inside of the fence

He was going to rig it to a motion sensor...when the sensor is activated so is the wire

Edited by colemanlee
  • Thanks 1

noddle
1 hour ago, colemanlee said:

The wife actually inquired about the law...as her brother was going to one wire our wall....its perfectly legal AS LONG as the wire is inside the property....in other words, it cant be on the top of the fence, or outside the fence, but can be anywhere on the inside of the fence

He was going to rig it to a motion sensor...when the sensor is activated so is the wire

But i assume if the fence is built on the inside of the boundry line,  then anything on top of it,  is also on your properity..  :-)  sounds like this will be how ill do it,  when i need to...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bounder

When my 9' wall is completed, we will attach razor wire to it.  We have never had a problem with unwanted visitors due to our three dogs, but a little more security is never a bad thing.

Kabisay-an gid

Guard dogs can be easily poisoned, so shouldn't be your only home security option.

Security spikes can be placed on walls, fences and gates - providing an extra layer of protection from climbing burglars. There are many different styles to choose from.

26118_1445878447024_PF.jpg

SkyMan
13 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Next challenge have him do it with one of those broken glass topped walls........joke lang.

13 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Sure.  Anyone can ride up on a scooter and lean the bike next to the wall and hop up.  Or bring along one of those bamboo ladders.  It's not to make your place impregnable, just make your neighbor's look an easier target.  

15 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I could give a damn since I already have more yard to take care of than I need.

Probably not a big deal for you but in the US or at least in some states I believe that if a neighbor encroaches on your property for a length of time like 5 years then they basically own that part of the property and it's too late for you to do anything about it until the fence or whatever falls down.

• Like 1

Jawny

Be aware that there are surveys and then there are SURVEYS. if you have any doubts about the boundaries be sure to be clear before the fence is installed. Land disputes frequently involve the placement of the boundary post..which can be moved!

I built a dyke to prevent flooding. This took a crew of about 20 a couple of months. We had a landowner next to us check the placement and we even knocked down several meters of built dyke to appease their concerns. 

After the dyke was completed, several years later, that same landowner had a survey done. He claims the survey revealed the dyke was more or less a meter into his land. Interesting, because the landowner on the opposite side discovered he now had more land. Go figure. 

So far no issue, but it will. Be entertaining to see if there is a dispute. 

SkyMan

Funny thing about lot descriptions in Liloan.  All of the lot descriptions on titles are relative to the Liloan BLLM which is something like Bureau of Land Location Monument.  So my descriptions start out something like....beginning at point "1" on the plan being N 53 deg 45'W 2203.23m from B.L.L.M No. 1 Lilo-an PLS-823 .......yada yada yada...

So my lots are all relative to a point over 2 Kms away.   Annnnnnd, nobody really know where that point is.  It's believed to be sort of in front of the church and sort of in front of the municipal hall but the highway runs between them and during one of the highway widening efforts, well, it got paved over.  Oooops.  

HTM

REMEMBER to get a fencing permit first.

SkyMan
2 hours ago, HTM said:

REMEMBER to get a fencing permit first.

Hahahaha, and while you are applying for that you can expect to be asked many times if the fence is already built.