Sign in to follow this  
noddle

Boundary Fence

noddle

Hi all,

I have a question about boundary fences

Once the lot is surveyed and the boundary line are naked

Should the fence be built in the middle of the line, 1/2 your side, 1/2 on your neighbor's side, or on "your" side of the line,

if its built on your side of the line, then i assume your neighbor can not attach anything to it (by law)

Thanks for any information

Nigel

oztony

Build it on your side ....otherwise your Filipino neighbor may have an inkling to utilize it as he sees fit , just not worth taking the risk for a couple of inches ....and do yourself a big favor and use 6 inch wide blocks ....

• Like 3

to_dave007
8 minutes ago, oztony said:

Build it on your side ....otherwise your Filipino neighbor may have an inkling to utilize it as he sees fit , just not worth taking the risk for a couple of inches ....and do yourself a big favor and use 6 inch wide blocks ....

Agree (except I don't care what materials you use).. but for sure.. inside your property.. But if your neighbour wishes to attach to it, he will.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Jawny

Land disputes can be over very small distances.  You should always build on your side.  The idea of half on as you described is a form of taking land away from your neighbor.  

As to materials, I use the smaller hollow block for a fence a couple of meters or so high.  Adequate for my needs.  

Neighbors may appropriate the fence for some purpose if it is "out of sight, out of mind". I’m pretty sure this is not legal, but, done many times.  Mostly I’ve seen clothes lines attached, that sort of thing.  I have told neighbors to take down some wires they attached to hold up a tarpaulin. They didn’t fuss and I was polite.  I also wanted to send a clear message that I didn’t construct he fence for their convenience.

I built a half court basketball area and used a chain link fence along the boundary to prevent the ball from crashing in on a pig house next to me.  It didn’t take long for some neighbors to hang laundry on the fence which made it an issue for the ball players.  I had to stop that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enuff

We gave a 1.5 meter clearance around ours, so future neighbors could pass by without issue. Our neighbors are not as nice.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

colemanlee

I rented a house in Sampaguita a few years ago, it had a ten foot or so wall completely around it, the people that owned it had let a neighbor, actually build a store using the fence for one of the walls....as it was not mine, I could care less...but its a example of typical thinking here...fortuitously, my land in the province is surrounded by a solar power company and they in effect fenced around my entire lot with cyclone fencing...I am presently building a eight foot wall inside my property about a foot from the property line...so it is now double fenced lol....before you ask why Im building the wall when its already fenced, the answer is privacy, I dont care for a bunch of solar workers staring at every thing I do...

• Like 4

SkyMan
49 minutes ago, Enuff said:

We gave a 1.5 meter clearance around ours, so future neighbors could pass by without issue. Our neighbors are not as nice.

I'm sure your neighbors assume everything to the wall (your wall) is theirs. 

29 minutes ago, colemanlee said:

I rented a house in Sampaguita a few years ago, it had a ten foot or so wall completely around it, the people that owned it had let a neighbor, actually build a store using the fence for one of the walls....as it was not mine, I could care less...but its a example of typical thinking here..

That's the rub with building a wall.  You may think 6 or 8 feet is secure enough but then your moron neighbor builds a shed or sariX2 on it or close enough someone could easily climb onto that building and hop over your wall.  I figure build the wall the height you want but build the columns their footers strong enough for a 15 foot wall so you can go higher if necessary.

• Like 1

Enuff

I'm sure your neighbors assume everything to the wall (your wall) is theirs. 

Actually they don't have walls and have left my 1.5m alone for walking path

SkyMan
17 minutes ago, Enuff said:

Actually they don't have walls and have left my 1.5m alone for walking path

If your property changes hands they will build walls attached to yours.

Enuff
If your property changes hands they will build walls attached to yours.
Not possible, too many need the area to walk through. When we bought 5 years ago we were only house. Now we have 5 neighbors. Most left the 1.5m as well except the newest filipino mansion next door, they built right to the boundries.

Jawny

I am not certain of the laws, but I do recall reading or being told that there is a specified distance that is required between property lines.  One meter is what I recall.

It is very common for there to be no distance.  

Where this is prescribed is in the rules regarding property right of ways.  I had a court dispute about this when a neighbor decided to block the right of way we used to access our property. 

Im not suggesting the OP or anyone needs to make any adjustment.

musicman666

From my understanding they can build right on the line and as high as they like if it is a firewall....otherwise I think it might even be two metres clearance so they can have windows etc..legally it’s nigh impossible to find out what they are up to if they decide to use your wall as their house wall since you don’t know for sure if they haven’t put up their own wall within the house ...

Salty Dog
6 hours ago, Jawny said:

I am not certain of the laws, but I do recall reading or being told that there is a specified distance that is required between property lines.  One meter is what I recall...

I'm in the USA now, but for comparison, where I live it's 6 Ft (1.8 m) for any structure. At my last house, the outdoor A/C condensing unit was closer than that, but they didn't consider it a structure. 

Where I currently live, My neighbor has concrete edging around his flower beds. Part of the edging is on my property, but I could give a damn since I already have more yard to take care of than I need.

to_dave007
9 hours ago, SkyMan said:

You may think 6 or 8 feet is secure enough but then your moron neighbor builds a shed or sariX2 on it or close enough someone could easily climb onto that building and hop over your wall.  I figure build the wall the height you want but build the columns their footers strong enough for a 15 foot wall so you can go higher if necessary.

Last summer my sons and I were staying at a place over in Negros, and right beside us was a 7 foot wall, with flat surface..   My son was just able to jump up and  get his fingers on the top of the wall.  Just for a lark I challenged him to see if he could climb the wall to sit on the top.  Took him a few tries, but he was able to get a good enough grip to the top of the wall that he could walk up the wall..  and presto..  sitting on the top..  at age 6.

If a healthy adult male here wants over an 8 foot wall, they are over in 15 seconds flat.  A 15 foot wall would be more of a challenge..  but I'm sure they can do it. 

Nonetheless..  I agree make the columns and footers strong enough to expand the height if you wish later.  Just don't assume the wall prevents entry when it only discourages it.

Edited by to_dave007

Salty Dog

All this time I just thought walls were more for privacy, not so much security...