Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

West Cebu Island bridge between Balamban and Tuburan

A_Simple_Man

The road up the west side of Cebu Island is a nice drive, until you get to the bridge in the title.  The google maps pic of the old bridge is at https://goo.gl/maps/fUkDZPeZgVD2

For the last year or more they have been building a new bridge, right beside this old bridge. Last month they blocked the highway (far back from the bridge) with a sign that said the new bridge is not yet finished but they are demolishing the old bridge so no vehicles may pass.

There is even a detour.  It takes 20 minutes extra, on a good day, to go around the detour.  BUT its a mud-hole, even when it is not raining.  My "low to the ground" car has a bitch of a time getting through it and if it was raining I would be stuck in one of those deep holes until towed out.

Its a damn shame to ruin a good road with an impassable bridge.  Its stupid to demolish the old one before the new one is finished.  Now they have 2 bridges and they say they are not allowing anyone on either bridge.

What I want, is to know if anyone actually lives in that area and knows what is going on?

I don't believe signs or "traffic directors" in Philippines.  I suspect a small car could cross on one of those bridges but I don't want to be the one to ignore the traffic director, go around the barricade, and drive 20 minutes only to find they are correct and I cannot cross.

I travel up the island at least once a month and I much prefer the western route to going through Cebu City so can anyone tell me if the bridge is really impassable and if so, when it will be open for small cars?

• Like 2

to_dave007

Passed over the bridge this morning (7 March 2018) in my Isuzu Crosswind..  The V-hires still using the old bridge as well..  but busses and gravel trucks must use the detour.  It's a bit of a hairy crossing now as it's only a few inches wider then my Crosswind..  and big hole in the bridge and a long drop to the ground below.  But it's still passable in one direction at a time.  Just take your time and fold in your mirrors.  I've been pretty much ignoring the "road closed sign" for the last few months without issue.

I don't know how long they can keep the bridge open, and when they'll switch over to the new one.  I pass this way often and I've thought again and again that surely they must have closed it now..  but no..  they've really done a GREAT job of keeping it open.  I think it's only been really closed for about a week (to V-hires and smaller).  When you get to the "detour - Road Closed" sign roll down your window and ask the locals if it's passable or not.  So far they've been honest and correct.

I live in Tuburan.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Thanks 1

A_Simple_Man
31 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

When you get to the "detour - Road Closed" sign roll down your window and ask the locals if it's passable or not. 

Thanks very much.   I did that last week (Feb 25) ( (well my lady asked them, not me) and they told her its not passable for anyone and we have to take the detour.  So we did.  As we got into the mud a bit we stopped and asked again.  Again we were told we had to follow the detour.  It sucked.

Does it look like (in your guestimate) the new bridge will will have a lane open any time soon?  I love to travel that road except for the mud detour.  By the way, if you haven't been on that detour you will be fine in your Isuzu Crosswind.  You'll just get a little muddy.  I saw lots of pickups and suvs on the detour when I took it.

Please keep us informed if the bridge becomes impassable or if they get a lane open on the new bridge, thanks.

to_dave007

at a minimum theye are still weeks away from getting the first lane on new bridge openm.

been on the detour road through barangay St Lucea many times.  it was a nice road before they started sending the gravel trucks over it in rainy season.

When you asked last week you may have just hit at a bad time.  they shifted the one open lane from one side of road to the other side one day last week.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

Passed over the old bridge at least 4 times in last week.  Including today.  No issues.  Still weeks from opening first lane of new bridge.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Kabisay-an gid

Old bridge:

dsc_7231.jpg?w=924

• Like 1

to_dave007

The new bridge won't be as picturesque as the old one.  At the north end (pictured) they now have a gap of about 20 feet to fill before they can open the first lane, but it will take a few more weeks because they need to build retaining walls first.  At the south end they've poured the first lane at least 100 feet from the bridge now.  I think another 3 to 6 weeks before they route traffic via single lane over the new bridge.  In the mean time,  they keep one lane open for vehicles to v-hire size..  But busses and trucks need to detour, and they detour road has been torn up pretty badly.

DSCN2008.JPG

DSCN2009.JPG

Edited by to_dave007

Dafey
On 3/7/2018 at 10:21 AM, A_Simple_Man said:

Last month they blocked the highway (far back from the bridge) with a sign that said the new bridge is not yet finished but they are demolishing the old bridge

Probably needed the steel beams to build a scaffold for the new bridge :hyper:

A_Simple_Man
50 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

In the mean time,  they keep one lane open for vehicles to v-hire size

Thank you very much.  It means if I go up there on my motorcycle tomorrow I can still get across the old bridge.  Thanks for the info

badian

called in at the Vidar Family Resort equidistant between Tuburan and Tabuelan in January and it hasn't changed at all except that the bungalows are now 700.  The stable that attended the pool parties there back in 2011 have now sadly left to become OFW's in Bahrain except April who married a cop based in Carmen after a stint at Mitsumi. Apparently he busted her for jaywalking in Danao and it proceeded from there. April's cousin who was only 14 back then, also stayed and recognised me while I was looking without success for some McCormick Herb and Garlic while she was stacking shelves in the Tuburan Prince's Warehouse. 

• Like 1

to_dave007

Last week someone erected a new sign at the bridge..  for the southbound traffic.. that reads something like this:

"DANGER.  DILAPIDATED BRIDGE.  UNSAFE FOR ALL VEHICLES.  DO NOT USE." 

But they didn't put anything to block traffic, so traffic continues.  Bridge is as safe..  or unsafe..  as it was before the sign.

Edited by to_dave007

A_Simple_Man
24 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Last week someone erected a new sign at the bridge..  for the southbound traffic.. that reads something like this:

"DANGER.  DILAPIDATED BRIDGE.  UNSAFE FOR ALL VEHICLES.  DO NOT USE." 

After you posted that pic a week ago I went across on my motorcycle and it did look unsafe but it did get me across.  Thanks for the pic and the info.

To add, that same afternoon (week ago today) there was a front end loader filling in the gap between the new bridge and the existing highway.  I had high hopes they would have a lane open to the new bridge by now (although it will still take a month for the concrete to cure if they get around to putting that down on the approach.

How did they get on with that part?

to_dave007

I think they are at least a week away from pouring the last 20 feet of concrete , and then a week to cure the concrete, before they can open that first lane.  So I am guessing 1st of May before first lane over new bridge opens.  

Edited by to_dave007
  • Thanks 1

A_Simple_Man
On 4/10/2018 at 2:03 PM, to_dave007 said:

I am guessing 1st of May before first lane over new bridge opens.  

As it happens, I need to make a trip up that way on April 30, any updates?  My car is so low to the ground that the detour is a no go unless freshly graded and the alternative is the long way around through Cebu.

to_dave007

Sorry.  Didn't see your message until this morning.  I came over the old bridge yesterday around noon, and the old bridge is still open to traffic, despite the traffic signs to the contrary.  The v-hires are still using the old bridge, and I'm sure they weight much more than your small car.

The new bridge STILL looks at least 2 weeks away from opening...  so I'm guessing now it may be more like 1 June before it's open.

• Like 1