Sign in to follow this  
Voyager39

Housing Recon Trip Itinerary

Voyager39
 That's what I did - 1 way ticket  - no set plans - no one lady to meet -  have said it before - thanks to LINC NO high expectations
1 week in a hotel across from Ayala Mall - looked around - made deal to stay in hotel a month  - with help of  a member found a 3 moth furnished condo rental in 2 weeks
Didn't really look around that much  - settled in and down rather quickly -  didn't expect it to happen that quickly  (4 months) - will be 1 year there in 2 weeks -
Just now starting to get the feeling for different areas
I have a question about the trip duration defined by the initial ticket booking. I've read that a tourist will require an onward ticket if he plans to stay more than 30 days. I don't know how this works if the initial booking is for a 3 week trip, and the trip is later extended to 5 weeks.
It would be helpful to get some info regarding the need for onward tickets, whether the need arises from the initial trip schedule or from subsequent changes to the departure date.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

CommanderData

You're going to need an onward ticket no matter the intended length of your stay (unless you've got PH citizenship or some sort of long term resident visa like the SRRV). If you don't have some sort of onward ticket they won't even let you board your flight coming into the Philippines.

Good news:

1) The onward flight doesn't have to be a flight back to where you came from. 

2) The onward flight doesn't have to be within 30 days or 59 days. 

3) The onward flight doesn't have to be with the same airline or airport.

Crazy Example: You could fly from the USA on a one-way ticket through Incheon, Hong Kong, or Taipei into Cebu, while holding a cheap onward flight with another low cost airline out of Manila to Singapore as a throw-away to meet their expectations.

Since you are planning to go back to the USA after this scouting mission and probably don't need the hassles of Visa renewal it might make sense to buy a round trip and schedule the return within the 59 day window (get a 59 day visa at PH Consulate in the USA, or get the 59 day on arrival for ~2500-3000P at the office near immigration booths so you don't need to worry about where to renew on whichever island you're visiting when 30 days is up).

If you buy your ticket on a decent airline like Cathay Pacific you should be able to re-schedule your return flight for $100-$200 extra cost if you need to. Changing the return flight date might only work with Premium Economy or Business fares... I've never flown their plain Economy class but have changed my return flights just like this before with them.

lamoe
Just now, Voyager39 said:

I have a question about the trip duration defined by the initial ticket booking. I've read that a tourist will require an onward ticket if he plans to stay more than 30 days. I don't know how this works if the initial booking is for a 3 week trip, and the trip is later extended to 5 weeks.
It would be helpful to get some info regarding the need for onward tickets, whether the need arises from the initial trip schedule or from subsequent changes to the departure date.

My only suggestion is to determine where you want to visit and ask  LINC members to help you get around - I believe you've already received  one offer 

Richard K

When I first came here almost 3 years ago I had a bunch of pre-conceived notions of where and how I wanted to live. I thought I would find a place and settle in with-in a few weeks. I had never been here before. As it turned out I ended up on a totally different island than I had intended and pretty much living in a different style house...even the choice of personal transportation changed.
I guess what I am getting at is to stay flexible. If I had stayed committed to my original plan I would have been disappointed. But When I left the States I had the attitude of "no hurry...no worry"

• Like 1

Voyager39
You basically have three options: rent a house, rent a condo, or buy a condo. What is your preference, and what is your budget?

I should start with my concerns, which may dictate my preference. I need quiet. I rest at odd hours due to a fatigue condition. I've read and of and viewed videos describing construction noise in condos/apartments, and of karaoke noise, leaving me unsure as to what would work best. In any case, I won't make any binding commitments during this trip. This trip is for information gathering.
My budget can be as high as $2K/month.

Jawny
2 minutes ago, Voyager39 said:

I should start with my concerns, which may dictate my preference. I need quiet. I rest at odd hours due to a fatigue condition. I've read and of and viewed videos describing construction noise in condos/apartments, and of karaoke noise, leaving me unsure as to what would work best. In any case, I won't make any binding commitments during this trip. This trip is for information gathering.

Quiet is a commodity in short supply in many areas here.  Even in my area, away from others, there is music from neighbors and roosters. I suppose a high rise condo gives more chance of finding a quiet place.  Hard to predict if the building has contraction underway. 

Is your budget "all in"?  That amount monthly will cover the lodging, food, transportation etc?

• Like 1

Voyager39
Quiet is a commodity in short supply in many areas here.  Even in my area, away from others, there is music from neighbors and roosters. I suppose a high rise condo gives more chance of finding a quiet place.  Hard to predict if the building has contraction underway. 
Is your budget "all in"?  That amount monthly will cover the lodging, food, transportation etc?

I can go higher if need be. Most of the blogs and videos I've seen indicated that most expats live on less, so I thought that's all I needed to disclose. (some post on this site advised against disclosing too much about one's finances).
I get SSDI of about $2.3K/month and have substantial savings. If spending more than $2K is necessary and sufficient to get peace and quiet, I'll spend more. But, I admit that I don't know how spending more achieves that.
Separately, what do you mean by "contraction"?

lamoe

Suggestion - investigate true noise suppression / cancellation devices - not just drug store plugs

Just now, Jawny said:

Even high rises are subject to dog barking in middle of night - 19th floor with balcony door open -  maybe IT park or Ayala mall setting better but not cheap

If 2 K USD = 100,000 P - it is doable  - mine is about a basic 25 K for lodging,  phone, internet, water,  bottled water, electricity.    Food, trans, misc adds another 55 to 65 typically.

Voyager39

Even high rises are subject to dog barking in middle of night - 19th floor with balcony door open -  maybe IT park or Ayala mall setting better but not cheap
If 2 K USD = 100,000 P - it is doable  - mine is about a basic 25 K for lodging,  phone, internet, water,  bottled water, electricity.    Food, trans, misc adds another 55 to 65 typically.
 ** Fet noise suppression devices**

I'm just starting to learn about noise suppression devices. Are these available in the PI generally, and in Cebu in particular?

lamoe

I'm just starting to learn about noise suppression devices. Are these available in the PI generally, and in Cebu in particular?

Not trying to be a smart ass, but nothing very sophisticated is typically available here.

I do know that custom made ear plugs are available - but you must be careful about total - as in complete air tight seal -  can cause problems

I had VA make tech  me a set when she  made my hearing aids molds - drilled hole - best ear buds for music I ever had.

https://www.earplugstore.com/sleeping-ear-plugs.html

https://www.earplugstore.com/westone-high-noise-40.html

Perfect-Fit™ CSLP Model Custom Sleep Ear Plugs (One Pair)
trans_1x1_1520443239.gif

Perfect-Fit™ CSLP Model Custom Sleep Ear Plugs (One Pair)
trans_1x1_1520443239.gif
Perfect-Fit™ CSLP ear plugs are made in a canal only style that insures they are comfortable to lie on while you sleep in blissful silence.
trans_1x1_1520443239.gif
$117.00

Westone DefendEar Style 40 Custom-Fit Solid/Sleep Ear Plugs (NRR 24-29) (One Pair)
trans_1x1_1520443239.gif Westone DefendEar Style 40 Custom-Fit Solid/Sleep Ear Plugs (NRR 24-29) (One Pair)
trans_1x1_1520443239.gif
(NRR 29) Westone Model 40 multipurpose ear plugs are an excellent choice for any high noise environment, and highly recommended for sleeping with a snoring bed partner.
trans_1x1_1520443239.gif
$146.00

Davaoeno

How about a white noise generator ?

lamoe
Just now, Davaoeno said:

Dog  and roosters are intermittent - not sure effective

Enuff
Sleep fan app works perfect for me

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Kabisay-an gid

Marpac portable rechargeable white noise machine, available in the Philippines:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOp_gDTJy7pflibQ8Xew8

delancey

Nice reference points already posted to get the best synergy. Two more:

I use the below wireless headphones then use the below free app which pumps in white noise, pink noise, raindrops, etc.

Subjective key points:

Durable, comfortable, lovely sound, handles higher volume when called for. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G8JO5F2/ref=sxnav_sxwds-bovbp_m_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3514142302&pd_rd_wg=rtzih&pf_rd_r=9VB2GZ8WB8CB5CHMWTA2&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-nav&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01G8JO5F2&pd_rd_w=C4a6F&pf_rd_i=wireless+headphones&pd_rd_r=353a3341-69e2-4723-9305-ebaff7b23197&ie=UTF8&qid=1520727066&sr=2

Subjective value: free, white noise, etc. mask extremely well. Should be available on multiple platforms.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/id469837219

edit to add name: White Noise Ambience HD Lite!

Good luck the entire subject is highly individual.

Edited by delancey