Sign in to follow this  
368xenon

Beehive Removal

368xenon

do you know anyone who can remove bees with a beehive on a tree here in Cebu? if possible just transfer the bees and not using a pesticide?

Alfred E. Neuman

Thick smoke, make sure they go away from your place and not just relocate to the other side of your structure. They can be guided with a lighted torch.

• Like 1

368xenon

thank you for the suggestion. thick smoke I think is not applicable. first of all there is wind so smoke cannot go up straight plus it is high up. By the time the smoke is up it is already dispersed.  plus after the smoke is out, the bees will come back again. unless someone is experience enough to climb the tree and destroy the hive. 

BossHog
On 2/28/2018 at 4:45 PM, Alfred E. Neuman said:

Thick smoke

I was advised by an expert South African beekeeper that one of the best things to use is the thick cardboard-style egg cartons used in the Philippines.. It evidently produces just the right kind of smoke. Smoke out the hive and when it's been abandoned, likely within a half hour, then you can have someone go and take it down. But he also told me once it's been abandoned they won't be coming back. Hope this helps; good luck.

• Like 2

oztony
2 hours ago, 368xenon said:

thank you for the suggestion. thick smoke I think is not applicable. first of all there is wind so smoke cannot go up straight plus it is high up. By the time the smoke is up it is already dispersed.  plus after the smoke is out, the bees will come back again. unless someone is experience enough to climb the tree and destroy the hive. 

Did you consider that the fire doesn't have to be situated on the ground....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jawny

It is very common to have a swarm of bees appear in a tree.  This may end up remaining, but more commonly, the swarming isdone while a location is found for the hive and the swarm moves. Pretty spectacular to witness the swarm and watch as they gather.

What is usually done, as night falls, is to use a flaming torch to burn the gathering.  They do what you’d expect, and swarm, but more often than not, leave.  Someone else’s problem. 

A few hundred pesos, maybe not that if it’s a neghnor. Torch from whatever is available. We use coco leaves on a long piece of bamboo 

Done at night to assure maximum devastation as the bees gather at dusk. 

RogerDuMond

What kind of bees are they?

If they are honey bees, they will leave on their own. They mass around the queen while scouts are out looking for an appropriate place to make a hive.

If they are wasps, then your best option is to burn out the nest.

Edited by RogerDuMond
Added thought.

368xenon

they are honeybees. my son said they maybe apis dorsata bee. in visaya term they call it put-tio-kan.

bee hive.docx

368xenon

yes I have considered lighting fire not from the ground at night but still there is a possibility that they might attack the person holding the stick. the same might be true in making the smoke ( but I like the idea and probably will do it if no one can) I notice during night time there are plenty of  bees are trying to get into our house because they like the lights. I am having dinner with bees as company over my head because of the lights. So that means they are not dormant during the night. that is also why I prefer to hire someone who is expert in removing bees rather than doing it myself since I might have allergic reaction to sting. My location is in Cebu City.

• Like 1

368xenon

image.png

bee hive

bee hive 2.docx

Edited by oztony
Remove link and directly load picture...
  • Like 1

Alfred E. Neuman

Tell your maid or gf to go around the block look for a reliable "tambay" you have 500pesos for anyone who can rid the hive. 

368xenon

thanks for all of your advice.  I think I have found someone to remove it.  

Headshot

Let us know how it goes. Stories like this are what makes LinC Forums fun to read.

Richard K
On 3/2/2018 at 2:34 PM, 368xenon said:

image.png

bee hive

bee hive 2.docx

If this is an accurate picture of what you have ..that is not a bee hive it is a swarm.. Like Roger said leave them alone and they will move on .
 I one time ran into a swarm of honey bees at about 70mph on I 87 up state NY. It was a rural area and it looked like a cloud of smoke up ahead...black like someone was burning tires..until I hit it. Sounded like a mess of raisins hitting my truck.. I had to pull over and scrape them off my windshield with an ice-scraper because I couldn't see...what a mess

Jawny

I agree this is likely a swarm, and a flame and smoke will be disruptive and be the swarm to move along.  Done this several times.